Movie spoiler ahead. It's of

So emotional.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sunshine's actually one of my favorite movies ever and I rewatch it every so often. I'm not sure why quasi-supernatural element bothers some viewers. I just read it as a surreal blurring of reality and it's not saying anything either way, it's about the subjective experience of being so close to the sun (so the magnetic fields wreak havoc on judgment), on such a potentially deadly mission, far away from other humans, etc. Note that both the captain and the ship psychologist also have this weird fascination with the sun as well, it becomes at least partially a mystic experience.

Capa just rocks. Yes, he's a flawed character like all the others, but just that perfect mix of truth + beauty in terms of how he perceives the world, the science and exploring the boundaries of understanding in terms of pure physics becomes a religious/spiritual experience in itself. It's one of the closest characters in a movie that sees the world in the way I do, that whole ending sequence is wonderful.

From terms of logic, i also love the multiple tracks of logic presented, from all different angles. Everyone's values and thinking is so clearly delineated.

Orangey's answer to the old question there about Pinbacker -- yeah, that's what happens. he jumps to the Icarus II and blows the docking hatch to strand who he could, then proceeds to do what he can to keep humanity in its place (and on the path to its foreordained demise).

Anyway, I find the characters interesting, the decisions make sense, the overall tone and ambiance of the movie is appealing to me, and it actually has transcendent elements and a kind of bittersweet ending.

I think the only thing that threw me a little was when they go on the Icarus I and there are these single frames of the crew there that went missing. I had no idea what was going on for a little bit with that, since it happens nowhere else in the movie.

Oh, and it was kind of hilarious to see Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans going at it... twice. The second time was even funnier as they both needed to just get things out of their system, while the two female crew members just watch in disgust and are like, "When you guys are ready to grow up, stop wasting oxygen and let's get back to business." Because Capa's really not a Type A personality at all, even if Mace is more aggressive.

But again, in Mace's favor, whatever disagreements he has with Capa and whatever he blames him for, he doesn't hold that against him when it comes to accomplishing the mission. Mace is firmly dedicated to doing the job he signed up to do, regardless of who survives and who does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    Been listening to the soundtrack of this.
    I actually really like the soundtrack, but the composer pulls a James Horner and keeps cribbing it for his other movies (the scene where Capa is trying to escape the Icarus in the spacesuit and falls over -- that cue is used in at least 2-3 other movies by him, including the opening sequence in 28 Weeks Later, for example).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I actually really like the soundtrack, but the composer pulls a James Horner and keeps cribbing it for his other movies (the scene where Capa is trying to escape the Icarus in the spacesuit and falls over -- that cue is used in at least 2-3 other movies by him, including the opening sequence in 28 Weeks Later, for example).
    Skip the few first minutes...

But I'm really bad with the tunes, so I might be hearing wrong. Nevertheless, it's/these are awesome.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla