User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Gifted musicians who compose

I noticed a trend among several gifted musicians/composers. When asked where they get their inspiration from when composing songs, they all said the same thing. That it just comes to them and they are just a vehicle for the music and the melody.

They say that the music is a force outside of themselves that has just chosen to flow through them (which is the gift bestowed upon them) and they have nothing to do with it. This is just how the creative process happens for them.

They say that when it happens, it just happens and they don't know when it will happen, or why it happens but that they have to "stay out of the way and not interfere with it" in order for it to come out right.

Any controls they try to place on it, in the form of "I think this would sound good here" makes things turn out badly. When they just stay out of the way and just be the vehicle through which the music flows, something good always happens - a great song is born and they know it before anyone else ever gets to hear it.

I'm not a musician and this has never happened to me before but just love the idea of it.

Have any of you musicians or composers ever experienced this happening to you or have you heard other musicians/composers say the same thing?

I've heard Keith Richards specifically say this. He doesn't even think he wrote Satisfaction.

It sounds kind of cool, but I'd say I'm different. I can be my worst critic. I do come up with a lot of riffs sort of unconsciously, but I do "get in the way" later. If I record them, I might not like what I hear later on. I might even hate it. Or, I might rework it with something else and the whole thing changes shape. The one thing I definitely don't do though is think any of it is given to me. I take responsibility, for both the good and bad. I don't have any mystical ideas about where it's coming from.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I've heard Keith Richards specifically say this. He doesn't even think he wrote Satisfaction.
    Amazing! I have heard so many of them say this that I almost start to wonder if it's a conspiracy! lol

It sounds kind of cool, but I'd say I'm different. I can be my worst critic. I do come up with a lot of riffs sort of unconsciously, but I do "get in the way" later. If I record them, I might not like what I hear later on. I might even hate it. Or, I might rework it with something else and the whole thing changes shape. The one thing I don't definitely do though is think any of it is given to me. I take responsibility, for both the good and bad. I don't have any mystical ideas about where it's coming from.
    Have you ever tried to get out of the way? I'm not a musician so I apologize if my questions sound dumb but what would happen if you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Amazing! I have heard so many of them say this that I almost start to wonder if it's a conspiracy! lol

Have you ever tried to get out of the way? I'm not a musician so I apologize if my questions sound dumb but what would happen if you did?
    They don't sound dumb at all.

I guess I haven't tried to get out of the way. Maybe I should. To be honest, the idea kind of makes me anxious.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I guess I haven't tried to get out of the way. Maybe I should. To be honest, the idea kind of makes me anxious.
    Control freak!!

jk

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's hard to get out of your own way. But it's hard to just listen uncritically too. The art is in just going for it, then editing later.

Control freak!!

jk
    I was going to say I was *little* of that. You got me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I was going to say I was *little* of that. You got me.
    I imagine it is hard though.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Isnt it pretty much the same thing with all art?

Artistic expression is an expression of the unconscious. Piece of art is sort of projection of unconscious, let it be piece of music, painting, photograph or what ever. Even if its largely intentional, its still the unconscious where the inspiration comes from, consciousness is just censoring parts of it. Too much censoring can take out the artistic components away from it and too little censoring can leave just a piece of mess who no one can understand.
    Its also about consciously fitting the pieces together to make more powerful whole and amplifying it. For example you might come up with a melody with a guitar, but the melody itself isnt enough, you should also find right pedals to use to make the message more clear, using a semi hollow guitar and old school jazz sounds in a melody can really bring the melody alive and amplify its message and boost it to whole new dimensions, actually if you arent choosing to use some specific sound, it might not sound right and give quite different expression. Also finding out the 'correct' bass lines, bass sounds etc are also really important. Same thing with post processing on photography, or if shooting film, then using the correct filters and film, developing techniques and printing tricks.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I noticed a trend among several gifted musicians/composers. When asked where they get their inspiration from when composing songs, they all said the same thing. That it just comes to them and they are just a vehicle for the music and the melody.
    yes, for me that's what it's typically like.

It's like everything pre-exists, and I just tap into it, and then it kind of writes itself. It's an organic process.

Same thing with other art, like visuals or writing. When Stephen King wrote Tommyknockers, about someone who digs out an alien ship, I think he was also describing the writing process for him -- it's less about about creating something himself and more that he is discovering something that already exists, and digging it out.

I do see some differences in style, though, between J vs P style artists. P's are far more apt to "discover" the art and basically stay out of its way. The J's are more liable to structure and plan, because they already have an idea of what they want the outcome to be, then they 'work it" to get there. Still, if that process is too stringent, I think it can crush the creative aspect of the endeavor; likewise, sometimes if P's don't do any form of editing or shaping, sometimes you can get something all over the map.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft