User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yes, for me that's what it's typically like.

It's like everything pre-exists, and I just tap into it, and then it kind of writes itself. It's an organic process.

Same thing with other art, like visuals or writing. When Stephen King wrote Tommyknockers, about someone who digs out an alien ship, I think he was also describing the writing process for him -- it's less about about creating something himself and more that he is discovering something that already exists, and digging it out.

I do see some differences in style, though, between J vs P style artists. P's are far more apt to "discover" the art and basically stay out of its way. The J's are more liable to structure and plan, because they already have an idea of what they want the outcome to be, then they 'work it" to get there. Still, if that process is too stringent, I think it can crush the creative aspect of the endeavor; likewise, sometimes if P's don't do any form of editing or shaping, sometimes you can get something all over the map.
    I wonder what types Billy Corgan or Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) are. They're notorious perfectionists. Shields nearly bankrupted a small record company back in the day, for taking years just to make one album. People think James Iha was the guitarist of the Pumpkins, but Corgan basically dictated a lot of it. Not only that, his recording process was insane. Like the song "Soma" on Siamese Dream has like 40 overdubbed guitar parts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I wonder what types Billy Corgan or Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) are. They're notorious perfectionists. Shields nearly bankrupted a small record company back in the day, for taking years just to make one album. People think James Iha was the guitarist of the Pumpkins, but Corgan basically dictated a lot of it. Not only that, his recording process was insane. Like the song "Soma" on Siamese Dream has like 40 overdubbed guitar parts.
    I think producing is different than composing.

I've composed music, and I've ad-libbed music often in real-time (where you just have to discover it and let it come out); but I can get kind of anal when it comes to the "producing" side of music, where I'm trying to get the best recording possible and do all the finishing detail. I like it less because it can become a very obsessive process, and after awhile you have to let your ear rest because it all starts to sound alike... kind of like if you keep eating, you'll lose the nuance of the taste and have to clear your palate for a bit.

Group synergy is also a different process than dictating lines to the group and controlling the process. Anything can work, I guess, as long as the group decides that's how it wants to function; but some groups can't stand having one member dictate all the parts, where other groups might be okay with one person overseeing and controlling the process more carefully.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I agree with the comments about creativity being an intuitive process that taps into the subconscious, etc. I will add that it is possible to build your intuition. Creating is not a magical outside force, but the minds natural tendency to create cohesion amongst all of its influences. Exposure to the arts through straight perception of listening and viewing is one part of building intuition. It is also useful to study systems of aesthetics - the philosophy and structure that underlies different systems. The more systems you come to understand, the more capable your mind is of constructing a new system. This can also heighten your perception of works of art you encounter. The creative process is so interesting because it is based on the compilation of all the input through our perception for a lifetime combined with the way in which our individual mind solves problems and constructs a sense of cohesion. Because this uses the entire mind, conscious and unconscious, because it is drawing together the whole of our memories and internal processes, it does seem like a force or flow of something beyond ourselves when everything comes together in the process. It might be more accurate to say it is not beyond ourselves, but entirely ourselves.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I struggled with this process for years. I found that if an idea comes to me more-or-less complete, the best thing to do is record or transcribe the idea as quickly as possible, without editing it or trying to add to it at all. Then I go back and change things as needed, but editing on the fly is a bad idea. It limits the quaility of what I can produce in the end. Also, 'composing ears' and 'listening ears' are different, so to combine them by editing too early usually makes things less interesting IMO.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Exposure to the arts through straight perception of listening and viewing is one part of building intuition.
    Its not building the intuition, it builds the unconscious.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read