• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" American movie release **MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" American movie release **MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

My brother-in-law couldn't make it through the books--too slow of a build to the action for him--but both his daughter-in-law and I have told him how good the books are, so he wants to see the movie and he's asked if I want to go with him. Normally I wouldn't have a problem going to a movie with my bro-in-law, but there might be graphic sex and violence in this and that makes me uncomfortable. Is that weird of me?

Added: The trailers look interesting. How do you think the American version will compare to the original Swedish?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My brother-in-law couldn't make it through the books--too slow of a build to the action for him--but both his daughter-in-law and I have told him how good the books are, so he wants to see the movie and he's asked if I want to go with him. Normally I wouldn't have a problem going to a movie with my bro-in-law, but there might be graphic sex and violence in this and that makes me uncomfortable. Is that weird of me?

Added: The trailers look interesting. How do you think the American version will compare to the original Swedish?

I think the American version will be more dramatic, focus more on the violence/fighting, and get rid of the sexual parts.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the American version will be more dramatic, focus more on the violence/fighting, and get rid of the sexual parts.

The Swedish version gets pretty violent.
Do you think the American version will be worse? The same? Just different?

One thing I liked about the Swedish version is that the actors looked like real people. It was so different than what we see in American films where no one has wrinkles or flaws.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The Swedish version gets pretty violent.
Do you think the American version will be worse? The same? Just different?

One thing I liked about the Swedish version is that the actors looked like real people. It was so different than what we see in American films where no one has wrinkles or flaws.

That's why I said "focus more on."

VagrantFarce

[youtube=gVEsA6BSsWc]Oh my christ[/youtube]

:wubbie:

Also, there's a very graphic rape scene in this movie, so be warned. It's a David Fincher film (seven, fight club, zodiac, alien 3), after all - it's a given that it will be terrifying and shocking.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I found it less shocking than the Swedish version and more deliberately humorous/campy. I mean, people in the theater seriously cheered when she revenge raped her "guardian." :blink:

Rooney Mara did a good job, and the style of the movie was more fast paced (and, TBH, looked nicer) than its Swedish counterpart. That made a lot of the down time in the story less tedious to watch.

I will always like Noomi Rapace's portrayal better, though, because her butchness made it believable, regardless of what it may have said in the book about Lisbeth's appearance (it's not like the book is that great to begin with, so...)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found it less shocking than the Swedish version and more deliberately humorous/campy. I mean, people in the theater seriously cheered when she revenge raped her "guardian." :blink:

Rooney Mara did a good job, and the style of the movie was more fast paced (and, TBH, looked nicer) than its Swedish counterpart. That made a lot of the down time in the story less tedious to watch.

I will always like Noomi Rapace's portrayal better, though, because her butchness made it believable, regardless of what it may have said in the book about Lisbeth's appearance (it's not like the book is that great to begin with, so...)

Thanks for the assess on it. I'll be interested to see it and do the comparison as well.

I do think Rapace's performance was easily one of the best parts of the Swedish version, for me.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Thanks! Still not sure I want to go see it with my bro-in-law.