User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Question "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" American movie release **MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

My brother-in-law couldn't make it through the books--too slow of a build to the action for him--but both his daughter-in-law and I have told him how good the books are, so he wants to see the movie and he's asked if I want to go with him. Normally I wouldn't have a problem going to a movie with my bro-in-law, but there might be graphic sex and violence in this and that makes me uncomfortable. Is that weird of me?

Added: The trailers look interesting. How do you think the American version will compare to the original Swedish?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    My brother-in-law couldn't make it through the books--too slow of a build to the action for him--but both his daughter-in-law and I have told him how good the books are, so he wants to see the movie and he's asked if I want to go with him. Normally I wouldn't have a problem going to a movie with my bro-in-law, but there might be graphic sex and violence in this and that makes me uncomfortable. Is that weird of me?

Added: The trailers look interesting. How do you think the American version will compare to the original Swedish?
    I think the American version will be more dramatic, focus more on the violence/fighting, and get rid of the sexual parts.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think the American version will be more dramatic, focus more on the violence/fighting, and get rid of the sexual parts.
    The Swedish version gets pretty violent.
    Do you think the American version will be worse? The same? Just different?

One thing I liked about the Swedish version is that the actors looked like real people. It was so different than what we see in American films where no one has wrinkles or flaws.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    The Swedish version gets pretty violent.
    Do you think the American version will be worse? The same? Just different?

One thing I liked about the Swedish version is that the actors looked like real people. It was so different than what we see in American films where no one has wrinkles or flaws.
    That's why I said "focus more on."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

That's why I said "focus more on."
    Ahh. I see.
    Johari / Nohari

[youtube=gVEsA6BSsWc]Oh my christ[/youtube]

Also, there's a very graphic rape scene in this movie, so be warned. It's a David Fincher film (seven, fight club, zodiac, alien 3), after all - it's a given that it will be terrifying and shocking.
    Hello

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I found it less shocking than the Swedish version and more deliberately humorous/campy. I mean, people in the theater seriously cheered when she revenge raped her "guardian."

Rooney Mara did a good job, and the style of the movie was more fast paced (and, TBH, looked nicer) than its Swedish counterpart. That made a lot of the down time in the story less tedious to watch.

I will always like Noomi Rapace's portrayal better, though, because her butchness made it believable, regardless of what it may have said in the book about Lisbeth's appearance (it's not like the book is that great to begin with, so...)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I found it less shocking than the Swedish version and more deliberately humorous/campy. I mean, people in the theater seriously cheered when she revenge raped her "guardian."

Rooney Mara did a good job, and the style of the movie was more fast paced (and, TBH, looked nicer) than its Swedish counterpart. That made a lot of the down time in the story less tedious to watch.

I will always like Noomi Rapace's portrayal better, though, because her butchness made it believable, regardless of what it may have said in the book about Lisbeth's appearance (it's not like the book is that great to begin with, so...)
    Thanks for the assess on it. I'll be interested to see it and do the comparison as well.

I do think Rapace's performance was easily one of the best parts of the Swedish version, for me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Thanks! Still not sure I want to go see it with my bro-in-law.
    Johari / Nohari