• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gift ideas for my bf's new Xbox 360?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My boyfriend just bought himself an Xbox 360, and I was thinking of getting him a random gift -- possibly a game -- for him to play on it. I don't have a lot of knowledge about video games, so I was hoping you guys could help make some suggestions. :blush:

Feel free to skip to the end if you don't want to read a lengthy intro and explanation

First, a bit of background:

Growing up he mostly played multiplayer action games with his friends and he is a great fan of:
- Smash Bros
- Mario Kart
- Street Fighter
He already owns most of the titles in these series.

He also likes all of the Zeldas, and has played all of them except one. He loves Windwaker and its sense of exploration, especially the bright colorful graphics and the different shades of sunlight and moonlight on the ocean. However, he's not a big fan of the Twilight Princess, because of the 'realistic/dark' graphics and the bland story line (meaning how it tells you directly what to do and doesn't let you explore the world and figure it out for yourself).

A couple of months ago, we were running out of known games to play, so we downloaded Final Fantasy I, and enjoyed it (though we never finished it).

So, right now with his Xbox 360, I don't know what to get him. Here are a few things that need to be taken into consideration:
  • He's away from home right now (and alone) and none of his friends own an Xbox, so it will have to be a one-player game, or maybe something you can play with random people online.
  • I don't think he likes an extremely complicated story. With Zelda and Final Fantasy, he usually lets me handle the "talking to people" part, but he likes a world where he can walk around and explore and find mini-quests.
  • He was intrigued with the complexity of the World of Warcraft for a while, when one of his friends started playing it, but he never played it, saying it requires too much dedication. So perhaps something similar, but a lot less complex and single-player?
  • He seems to appreciate mild cuteness and innocent humor in his games -- though he probably won't admit it. He has been playing Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and thinks it's a bit too much on the serious side. It's challenging, yes, but not exactly 'fun'. Mario Kart, though, he classifies as 'fun'.
  • Oh, and he seems to dislike killing animals, especially if they seem to get hurt in a realistic way. He doesn't have problems with killing monsters or zombies. Not sure about humans...
  • It would be great if it's a slightly older, lesser-known title that won't burn a hole in my wallet :laugh:
  • The Skyward Sword is not an option, because we have already agreed to buy it later when the hype dies down.

Skip to here for the short version
So, here's the short version. Could you recommend anything for the Xbox 360 that is:
- Fantasy
- Single-player
- Not too serious/depressing
- Not too dense (can be played casually without having to remember much info)
- Not too bloody (at least not realistically bloody, unless it's killing zombies)
- Sense of exploration, freedom, with a lot of mini quests
- Preferably not too expensive for me to buy

He's an INFP 9w1, btw. Not that it really matters :laugh:

Thanks in advance! :blush:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Then he might like the Fable games. They're pretty old, except for the third one, so they're likely to be cheap too!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
a lot of games are on sale this weekend. A new game that is out (and big 3 disks on the xbox) is "Rage" and I think despite being a new game will be on sale at amazon.com and some other retail stores but for only this weekend for 30 bucks (instead of the usual 60 bucks for a new game). Its a fun game but expect to lose your BF until he is done with the campange. Games that I also really like which you can get used which I found really fun were the Fallout series games. Check out half.com a good place to purchase used games.

Also blockbuster.com membership is good as it includes video game rentals as well as movies sent via the mail for one set price with no latefees.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would get him a Gamefly subscription. My kids use it and it's totally worth it. Plus you accumulate points which you can use to buy games at big discounts. It works like Netflix, they send the games, you keep them as long as you want. There are really good new customer deals, like a month free or something. I do the 2 games out at a time for $24/mo. Also, you may want to see if he is interested in XBox Live, which is also a subscription. You can sometimes get 3, 6 or 12 months with some games. He may like those Assassin's Creed games.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you [MENTION=6508]Blank[/MENTION], [MENTION=7897]spamtar[/MENTION], [MENTION=10137]Sparrow[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]!

The suggestion list so far:
  • Fable
  • Rage
  • Fallout
  • Battlefield 3
  • Assassin's Creed
I'll look into these.

One thing I forgot to mention is that he's in the UK, so there's no blockbuster.com or Gamefly, but I'm looking into similar UK sites. He's already got a LoveFilm subscription, which is kinda like NetFlix, and they do video games, but I'll have to somehow get my hands on his account to give him an upgrade :wink:

And holy, you can get used games for cheap :happy2:

More suggestions still very much welcomed :blush:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Then he might like the Fable games. They're pretty old, except for the third one, so they're likely to be cheap too!

I just looked at Fable II, and I can't believe you actually get a dog. Sounds totally awesome! I'm sold :D

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So last night I was stuck hanging out with the boys, we played video games all night so I have more suggestions for you :). The new "Spiderman" game is supposed to be SUPER awesome, "Skyrim" is cool, the boys also like the newer "Modern Warfare" alot, and "Assasins Creed" <- I find that game to be boring to watch ;). They seemed to rave about Spiderman the most.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I just looked at Fable II, and I can't believe you actually get a dog. Sounds totally awesome! I'm sold :D

Yes. Fable 2 is a very great story line. I suggest playing the first fable to fully get the back-round of the story. You do have a dog through the whole game and your dog can fight with you in battles and seek as a treasure hunting companion. Fable 3 is even better with a more interesting story in an industrial age.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fable 3 is a good idea, I agree. Not very complicated, just mainly hack and slash with a litle side story to keep things interesting. Fallout 3 and New Vegas can be fun games to roam around in blowing stuff up. Grand Theft Auto series are probably right up his sleave as well (Although I personally enjoyed GTA III and Vice city more than the newer ones, but their graphics are a bit outdated now).

A little bit more complicated, but as it turns out not overly so now that I've finished it, is Skyrim. I'm personally a bit let down with the game as I epected more depth to the main story line, since I personally enjoy story, depth and challenge more. It's a great fantasy world to roam around in though.

The upcoming diablo game might be for him as well, but it might still take a while for that to get released and I've no idea if it goes to the XBOX.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why did he waste money on a 360 and why would you buy him 360 games? This generation of gaming is getting awfully close to the end of the road.

You should get him an Atari 2600 while you're at it.

EDIT:

Skip to here for the short version
So, here's the short version. Could you recommend anything for the Xbox 360 that is:
- Fantasy
- Single-player
- Not too serious/depressing
- Not too dense (can be played casually without having to remember much info)
- Not too bloody (at least not realistically bloody, unless it's killing zombies)
- Sense of exploration, freedom, with a lot of mini quests
- Preferably not too expensive for me to buy

Okay now I can be of some help. Saints Row: The Third. Yes, it has zombies in it! And ragdoll physics!

But the PC version is the superior one.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ok, lots of support for Fable :)

So last night I was stuck hanging out with the boys, we played video games all night so I have more suggestions for you :). The new "Spiderman" game is supposed to be SUPER awesome, "Skyrim" is cool, the boys also like the newer "Modern Warfare" alot, and "Assasins Creed" <- I find that game to be boring to watch ;). They seemed to rave about Spiderman the most.
Unfortunately he seems to have an aversion towards super hero stories. But Skyrim looks absolutely amazing! The latest one seems a bit pricey though >_<

Why did he waste money on a 360 and why would you buy him 360 games? This generation of gaming is getting awfully close to the end of the road.

You should get him an Atari 2600 while you're at it.
Heh, he got one for pretty cheap, and he wanted Street Figher. To be honest I don't think he would mind getting an Atari 2600 and would probably find it hilarious :D

And for some reason Saint Rows: The Third seems like fun in a weird way. Zombies are always good!

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Umm...Bioshock is a great game and it's pretty old now (4 years) so you might be able to get it on the cheap.

It doesn't have much in the way of open-world exploration, but it hits the rest of the points on your list.

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mass Effect, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Assassin's Creed, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell Conviction, Fallout New Vegas, Grand Theft Auto 4. I recommend Dead Space, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed.

Oh wait, Dead Space and Assassin's Creed are serious and can be depressing. But I love games that do that to people. However they are AMAZING.

A fun care free game might be Battlefield Bad Company.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could just break his xbox and take him away for a weekend to Rome!
It will save a lot of hassle in the long run, plus you'll get to see the colosseum.
Sorry.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
INFP? get him skyrim INFPs love that fantasy stuff. Oh yeah and Rage is also a top quality game I had alot of fun with it, but it's pretty violent and gory at times. :) Oh yeah and fallout 3 game of year edition is also very good but a bit old now.

KDude

INFP? get him skyrim INFPs love that fantasy stuff. Oh yeah and Rage is also a top quality game I had alot of fun with it, but it's pretty violent and gory at times. :) Oh yeah and fallout 3 game of year edition is also very good but a bit old now.

Skyrim and Fallout are practically identical game mechanics underneath, made by the same team, with similar engines. Are you also going to say watching Terminator isn't for INFPs, but watching Conan is? And did you know that skyrim sold over 3 million copies in the first 2 days it was released? Did all the INFPs in the world suddenly come out of the woodwork just for a video game?

I hope you're not serious and just trolling. ;)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Skyrim and Fallout are practically identical game mechanics underneath, made by the same team, with similar engines. Are you also going to say watching Terminator isn't for INFPs, but watching Conan is? And did you know that skyrim sold over 3 million copies in the first 2 days it was released? Did all the INFPs in the world suddenly come out of the woodwork just for a video game?

I hope you're not serious and just trolling. ;)

No I'm just saying saying that NFs are usually into fantasy. My logic didn't consist of "Only INFPs are into fantasy and nobody else" get your logic straight.

KDude

No I'm just saying saying that NFs are usually into fantasy. My logic didn't consist of "Only INFPs are into fantasy and nobody else" get your logic straight.

lol. Don't blame my logic for something you say. Since when does that work? You admit yourself that you had to clarify.