My boyfriend just bought himself an Xbox 360, and I was thinking of getting him a random gift -- possibly a game -- for him to play on it. I don't have a lot of knowledge about video games, so I was hoping you guys could help make some suggestions.
Feel free to skip to the end if you don't want to read a lengthy intro and explanation
First, a bit of background:
Growing up he mostly played multiplayer action games with his friends and he is a great fan of:
- Smash Bros
- Mario Kart
- Street Fighter
He already owns most of the titles in these series.
He also likes all of the Zeldas, and has played all of them except one. He loves Windwaker and its sense of exploration, especially the bright colorful graphics and the different shades of sunlight and moonlight on the ocean. However, he's not a big fan of the Twilight Princess, because of the 'realistic/dark' graphics and the bland story line (meaning how it tells you directly what to do and doesn't let you explore the world and figure it out for yourself).
A couple of months ago, we were running out of known games to play, so we downloaded Final Fantasy I, and enjoyed it (though we never finished it).
So, right now with his Xbox 360, I don't know what to get him. Here are a few things that need to be taken into consideration:
- He's away from home right now (and alone) and none of his friends own an Xbox, so it will have to be a one-player game, or maybe something you can play with random people online.
- I don't think he likes an extremely complicated story. With Zelda and Final Fantasy, he usually lets me handle the "talking to people" part, but he likes a world where he can walk around and explore and find mini-quests.
- He was intrigued with the complexity of the World of Warcraft for a while, when one of his friends started playing it, but he never played it, saying it requires too much dedication. So perhaps something similar, but a lot less complex and single-player?
- He seems to appreciate mild cuteness and innocent humor in his games -- though he probably won't admit it. He has been playing Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and thinks it's a bit too much on the serious side. It's challenging, yes, but not exactly 'fun'. Mario Kart, though, he classifies as 'fun'.
- Oh, and he seems to dislike killing animals, especially if they seem to get hurt in a realistic way. He doesn't have problems with killing monsters or zombies. Not sure about humans...
- It would be great if it's a slightly older, lesser-known title that won't burn a hole in my wallet
- The Skyward Sword is not an option, because we have already agreed to buy it later when the hype dies down.
Skip to here for the short version
So, here's the short version. Could you recommend anything for the Xbox 360 that is:
- Not too serious/depressing
- Not too dense (can be played casually without having to remember much info)
- Not too bloody (at least not realistically bloody, unless it's killing zombies)
- Sense of exploration, freedom, with a lot of mini quests
- Preferably not too expensive for me to buy
He's an INFP 9w1, btw. Not that it really matters
Thanks in advance!