User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Gift ideas for my bf's new Xbox 360?

My boyfriend just bought himself an Xbox 360, and I was thinking of getting him a random gift -- possibly a game -- for him to play on it. I don't have a lot of knowledge about video games, so I was hoping you guys could help make some suggestions.

Feel free to skip to the end if you don't want to read a lengthy intro and explanation

First, a bit of background:

Growing up he mostly played multiplayer action games with his friends and he is a great fan of:
    - Smash Bros
    - Mario Kart
    - Street Fighter
    He already owns most of the titles in these series.

He also likes all of the Zeldas, and has played all of them except one. He loves Windwaker and its sense of exploration, especially the bright colorful graphics and the different shades of sunlight and moonlight on the ocean. However, he's not a big fan of the Twilight Princess, because of the 'realistic/dark' graphics and the bland story line (meaning how it tells you directly what to do and doesn't let you explore the world and figure it out for yourself).

A couple of months ago, we were running out of known games to play, so we downloaded Final Fantasy I, and enjoyed it (though we never finished it).

So, right now with his Xbox 360, I don't know what to get him. Here are a few things that need to be taken into consideration:
    • He's away from home right now (and alone) and none of his friends own an Xbox, so it will have to be a one-player game, or maybe something you can play with random people online.
    • I don't think he likes an extremely complicated story. With Zelda and Final Fantasy, he usually lets me handle the "talking to people" part, but he likes a world where he can walk around and explore and find mini-quests.
    • He was intrigued with the complexity of the World of Warcraft for a while, when one of his friends started playing it, but he never played it, saying it requires too much dedication. So perhaps something similar, but a lot less complex and single-player?
    • He seems to appreciate mild cuteness and innocent humor in his games -- though he probably won't admit it. He has been playing Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and thinks it's a bit too much on the serious side. It's challenging, yes, but not exactly 'fun'. Mario Kart, though, he classifies as 'fun'.
    • Oh, and he seems to dislike killing animals, especially if they seem to get hurt in a realistic way. He doesn't have problems with killing monsters or zombies. Not sure about humans...
    • It would be great if it's a slightly older, lesser-known title that won't burn a hole in my wallet
    • The Skyward Sword is not an option, because we have already agreed to buy it later when the hype dies down.

Skip to here for the short version
    So, here's the short version. Could you recommend anything for the Xbox 360 that is:
    - Fantasy
    - Single-player
    - Not too serious/depressing
    - Not too dense (can be played casually without having to remember much info)
    - Not too bloody (at least not realistically bloody, unless it's killing zombies)
    - Sense of exploration, freedom, with a lot of mini quests
    - Preferably not too expensive for me to buy

He's an INFP 9w1, btw. Not that it really matters

Thanks in advance!
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Then he might like the Fable games. They're pretty old, except for the third one, so they're likely to be cheap too!
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

a lot of games are on sale this weekend. A new game that is out (and big 3 disks on the xbox) is "Rage" and I think despite being a new game will be on sale at amazon.com and some other retail stores but for only this weekend for 30 bucks (instead of the usual 60 bucks for a new game). Its a fun game but expect to lose your BF until he is done with the campange. Games that I also really like which you can get used which I found really fun were the Fallout series games. Check out half.com a good place to purchase used games.

Also blockbuster.com membership is good as it includes video game rentals as well as movies sent via the mail for one set price with no latefees.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Battlefield 3 is pretty cool .
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I would get him a Gamefly subscription. My kids use it and it's totally worth it. Plus you accumulate points which you can use to buy games at big discounts. It works like Netflix, they send the games, you keep them as long as you want. There are really good new customer deals, like a month free or something. I do the 2 games out at a time for $24/mo. Also, you may want to see if he is interested in XBox Live, which is also a subscription. You can sometimes get 3, 6 or 12 months with some games. He may like those Assassin's Creed games.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thank you @Blank, @spamtar, @Sparrow and @ceecee!

The suggestion list so far:
    • Fable
    • Rage
    • Fallout
    • Battlefield 3
    • Assassin's Creed

I'll look into these.

One thing I forgot to mention is that he's in the UK, so there's no blockbuster.com or Gamefly, but I'm looking into similar UK sites. He's already got a LoveFilm subscription, which is kinda like NetFlix, and they do video games, but I'll have to somehow get my hands on his account to give him an upgrade

And holy, you can get used games for cheap

More suggestions still very much welcomed
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Portal is also a ridiculously fun, casual game.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Then he might like the Fable games. They're pretty old, except for the third one, so they're likely to be cheap too!
    I just looked at Fable II, and I can't believe you actually get a dog. Sounds totally awesome! I'm sold
    4w5 sp/sx EII

So last night I was stuck hanging out with the boys, we played video games all night so I have more suggestions for you . The new "Spiderman" game is supposed to be SUPER awesome, "Skyrim" is cool, the boys also like the newer "Modern Warfare" alot, and "Assasins Creed" <- I find that game to be boring to watch . They seemed to rave about Spiderman the most.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I just looked at Fable II, and I can't believe you actually get a dog. Sounds totally awesome! I'm sold
    Yes. Fable 2 is a very great story line. I suggest playing the first fable to fully get the back-round of the story. You do have a dog through the whole game and your dog can fight with you in battles and seek as a treasure hunting companion. Fable 3 is even better with a more interesting story in an industrial age.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.