User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default What do you hate about Anime?

This thread is intended for people who watch enough anime to get irritated by things in it that keep cropping up. Basically it exists because I want to bitch about excessive fanservice. This includes lots of unecessary upskirt shots, Gainaxing (exaggurated breast physics), and creepy underage girl situations.

Also, I'm annoyed when I watch a cool series that I think my kids would enjoy, only to find that the dub version has unnecessary foul language. Japanese isn't known for its creative curse words, they don't do taboo. They tend to be things like saying 'you' in an overfamiliar manner. Companies will punch it up to appeal to certain types of viewerships.

Oh, also excessive flashbacks in an espisode. Some series will do several minutes of 'flashbacks' before the show starts, some of which are from the previous episode. Oh, and also summary episodes, I hate those. I end up watching them in case they're going to introduce something new, but only do that often enough to make me vulnerably hopeful.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Elfboy

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If I listed it all, I'd be here all day, but:

• The animation is terrible and painful to watch.
    • The voices are annoying.
    • The voices are even more annoying when they're dubbed.
    • The voice acting, well, don't get me started on that
    • The music is terrible.
    • The people who watch it are pretentious enough to call themselves nerds and geeks when they're really just fans.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

-Extended flashbacks that serve no point (and I don't mean the kind that introduces new material to build up a character, I mean like showing clips of older episodes to fill in time) and are arbitrarily placed into the context of fight scenes, ruining the quality of such episodes.

-Themes of Christianity; most animes do it rather poorly and in a pretentious fashion all the while shoving an idiot moral down my throat. Trigun telling me that 'killing iz wrong!111' and the whole anime of Blassreiter (which makes every antagonist an unsympathetic sociopath and ever protagonist a meek and innocent victim) just felt annoying at times.

-Action scenes where the movement of characters doesn't feel fluid or real enough and/or where there is no suspense in who the victor of the fight will be. Naruto and Bleach are primary examples of this.

-Loser ass protagonists in most harum anime; each one is a skinny dork who fails at most things in life (like college, success, and what-not) and can't talk to a girl without getting a nosebleed. Stop reminding me of myself harum anime! Stop taunting me with dream of living with many sexy girls that will never happen in reality!

-Little girls in the military; what the fuck? (Note: Gunslinger Girl is an exception to this rule).

-Lolicon; because everytime I feel turned on by it, I feel like a pedo. My self esteem does not need that.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

awwwww. Why can't those of us who hate anime enough to not intentionally watch it contribute?

also, reason#1: fanboys.
    -end of thread-

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    awwwww. Why can't those of us who hate anime enough to not intentionally watch it contribute?

I concur.

Also series that needlessly milk their premise for hundreds of episodes of nothing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

No need to keep silent, just create your own thread. For maximum contributions from like minded people, you can title it "Why Anime is Awesome".
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I don't like the perverted stuff, gender stereotypes and hyper-sexualising of female characters.

Of course, many don't do this - Miyaziki for one
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes velveteen, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Anime and the fan culture fed by it is cancer.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I don't like the perverted stuff, gender stereotypes and hyper-sexualising of female characters.

Of course, many don't do this - Miyaziki for one
    Yep, there needs to be a few more Miyazakis.

I admit I do get a bit tired of the 'indomitable' characters in shonen shows. But, it's just part of the genre I guess.