User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 92

  1. #51
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Doy. Tetsuo. You're right. Akira was the creepy little boy. I haven't seen it in probably fifteen years.
    I just watched the mutation scene as it was recommended. Hmm I might watch it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    I like the emotion behind it from one episode thus far. I kind of like the slower pace. Another couple of anime's I remember are Berserker...and ummm..well that's all right now.
    If you like a focus on emotion, Attack on Titan might be a great fit for you.

    Personally I'm interested in plot, setting, artistry, and action. I tend to have a low tolerance for drawn-out drama, so much of anime is incredibly frustrating for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I do like the Studio Ghibli films I've seen, though.
    Yeah, Miyazaki has done some great films for watchers of all ages. I call my favorites 'Miyazaki's Big Three'; Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. To this day, I occasionally have dreams about the scene in CitS where...



    Anyhow, like all mediums, anime is very hit-or-miss. I have a short list of really great shows, many of them as dark as Ghibli films are light-hearted, which has taken me years of sifting through mediocre-to-crap anime to find.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Punderstorm liked this post

  3. #53
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    @Passacaglia I love me some Spirited Away. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a good one, too. I like most of Miyazaki's work, actually, except for Ponyo, but that's because it was clearly made for very young children.

    Has anyone here seen Grave of the Fireflies? Sweet fancy Moses, was that a downer.

  4. #54
    Happy Halloween! Codex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    683

    Default

    The dramatic, over the top, exaggerated cheesiness.
    Likes Cellmold, Punderstorm liked this post

  5. #55
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I love me some Spirited Away. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a good one, too. I like most of Miyazaki's work, actually, except for Ponyo, but that's because it was clearly made for very young children.
    Yeah, many of his films are too much for kids to appeal to me -- Ponyo, Totorro, and that one with the pig pilot come to mind. But Nausicaa gets an honorable mention on my favorites list, in part because I get a huge kick out of hearing Patrick Stewart and Uma Thurman's voices coming out of animated characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Has anyone here seen Grave of the Fireflies? Sweet fancy Moses, was that a downer.
    Oi yes, I watched like ten minutes and then decided I didn't need another reason to be depressed.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Just quit halfway through the first season of my latest anime. It was promising, but got too dramatic and cutesy for me; I skipped to the last episode to make sure my prediction was right, and I don't regret my decision.

    On a more positive note, and because I love to hear the sound of my own fingers on the keyboard, I'm going to talk a bit about my anime favorites. My current short list is, in no particular order:

    Miyazaki: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle are my big three, as previously mentioned. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke get honorable mentions.

    Psycho Pass: Takes place in a futuristic Japan, where crime has been virtually eliminated by an omniscient system that monitors the 'psycho pass' of each citizen to prevent violent impulses. I can't express how dark, compelling, but ultimately hopeful this show is. Can't wait for season 2 to appear on Netflix!

    Darker Than Black Another futuristic anime in which mysterious and 'soulless' people known as contractors cause terror and death. Dark and action-packed, this one is on my list to catch up on once I have more of a disposable income. (The first season appeared on Netflix a while back, then disappeared.)

    Death Note: Hey, I mentioned that I'm into dark animes right?

    Sword Art Online: A young gamer gets trapped in a new virtual reality MMORPG along with many others in this heroic drama. The premise sounds ridiculous so I neglected watching it for a long time, but I was sooo happy when I finally did!

    Knights of Sidonia: A young man becomes the rising star and great hope of possibly the last remnant of humanity drifting through space, many years after Earth was annihilated by incomprehensible aliens. Can't wait for season 2!

    Ghost in the Shell: A classic anime film. There's a GitS series on my Netflix queue; not sure if it's a new one or what.

    East of Eden: Outside of Miyazaki films, this is the only 'sweet' anime that I've ever fallen in love with. Romance and mystery conspire to create an amazing story in this more-or-less modern world drama.

    Arpeggio of Blue Steel: A young sea captain and his crew struggle to give humanity a fighting chance against the mysterious 'fleet of fog' which obliterated all human sea-power more than a decade ago. Somewhat surprisingly, the most defined and dramatic characters are the human-like avatars of the Fleet of Fog's ships, who help and hinder the young captain. Action-packed and fast paced, the first season is very promising.

    Angel Beats!: Dead teens live and adventure together in an afterlife with explicitly video-game physics. Again, it's an absurd-sounding plot, but it's strangely compelling; and unlike many drama-focused animes, it has a very satisfying conclusion!

    Fate/Zero: Summoned heroes from various mythologies duke it out to win the Holy Grail, a relic capable of granting the victor's master any one wish.

    High School of the Dead: A group of high schoolers fight to survive a zombie apocalypse and its aftermath. There's a ridiculous amount of fanservice, but if you can get past that, it's a really fun show.

    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Much better than the other FMA: the Painfully Slow One. I probably just POed every fan of the original comic, but hey, I need action! Netflix has season 1 and 2, but not the others for some reason. This is another one to catch up on later.

    Ninja Scroll: Sooo did not expect this to be rated R, given its title! Good stuff though, and a classic.

    Moribito: A heroic tale of adventure and redemption in a land of swords and magic. Beautiful animation, a strong heroine, a bit of action, and a satisfying ending make this one an instant recommendation for pretty much anyone.

    Cowboy Bebop: I liked the film, though I don't remember much about it.

    Blood: the Last Vampire: A short and bloody film involving a high school Halloween party, vampires, and a girl with a sword. And that's pretty much all ya need to know. Not to be confused with the series of similar title and same protagonist, which is much more drama-oriented and slow-paced.

    Honorable Mention

    Mushi-Shi: Not a riveting series, IMO, but this one is uniquely beautiful. It follows the wanderings of Ginko, a man who can see the mushi; spirit-things that abound in nature, and can sometimes cause problems. The very best soundtrack of any anime I've ever heard, bar none.
    Last edited by Passacaglia; 01-13-2015 at 05:34 PM.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Likes Cellmold, Passacaglia, Chthonic liked this post

  8. #58
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Sword Art Online: A young gamer gets trapped in a new virtual reality MMORPG along with many others in this heroic drama. The premise sounds ridiculous so I neglected watching it for a long time, but I was sooo happy when I finally did!
    I find it funny that this made your list, because from what I've seen it's known as one of the worst modern anime to be released so far. I watched it and I actually thought that the first 14 episodes were excellent, but after that I understood where all the criticism was coming from. Asuna's personality did a 180 for no real reason or development other than that she and Kirito fell in love, all the past characters that were built up in the first half of the series got put aside until the last episode (Klein especially), and all of the female characters that were good characters in their own right just kind of had one-episode arcs to crush on Kirito and one-up his character. Not to mention that Asuna was kind of reduced to the fodder love interest for the MC over time (Hinata from Naruto has this problem too) while also providing fanservice to people with tentacle/rape fetishes. Basically every character other than Kirito was reduced to a plot device. Except his cousin, who ended up just being annoying as hell since Kirito's love for Asuna was already established and she had grown up with Kirito as her BROTHER.

    Not to say that it can't be your favorite btw haha. I've liked anime that were nothing spectacular - I'm just surprised this one matched your expectations. Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are really good choices.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

    Likes Ghost liked this post

  9. #59
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I find it funny that this made your list, because from what I've seen it's known as one of the worst modern anime to be released so far. I watched it and I actually thought that the first 14 episodes were excellent, but after that I understood where all the criticism was coming from. Asuna's personality did a 180 for no real reason or development other than that she and Kirito fell in love, all the past characters that were built up in the first half of the series got put aside until the last episode (Klein especially), and all of the female characters that were good characters in their own right just kind of had one-episode arcs to crush on Kirito and one-up his character. Not to mention that Asuna was kind of reduced to the fodder love interest for the MC over time (Hinata from Naruto has this problem too) while also providing fanservice to people with tentacle/rape fetishes. Basically every character other than Kirito was reduced to a plot device. Except his cousin, who ended up just being annoying as hell since Kirito's love for Asuna was already established and she had grown up with Kirito as her BROTHER.
    This is a totally fair criticism, and I did notice how pre-Kirito Asuna is almost a different character than post-Kirito Asuna.

    .Hack//Quantum, a series with a similar premise, might appeal to character-oriented fans more than SAO. I almost put it on my list, but I didn't find the action or artwork quite as memorable, which are very important to me.
    Likes Chanaynay liked this post

  10. #60
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    This is a totally fair criticism, and I did notice how pre-Kirito Asuna is almost a different character than post-Kirito Asuna.

    .Hack//Quantum, a series with a similar premise, might appeal to character-oriented fans more than SAO. I almost put it on my list, but I didn't find the action or artwork quite as memorable, which are very important to me.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to get into the .Hack// series! But I'm not even sure how each series are connected to each other and what to watch first. It's interesting you say "character-oriented fans" though because I totally just realized that's the first and most important thing I care about whenever I start a show. I almost forgot that sometimes people can be drawn in by the artwork/action scenes.

    From what you seem to like though, I think a series with a good combination of our tastes you might like is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I think all of the characters are amazing and well-written, and there's plenty of action too. It's in my top 3.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What do you hate about yourself?
    By Vilku in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 10-04-2017, 04:33 PM
  2. Replies: 398
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 03:30 AM
  3. [MBTItm] What do you Love and What do you Hate About NTs?
    By Tigerlily in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM
  4. What do you hate about the POSTER above you?
    By The Ü™ in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 09:42 AM
  5. [NT] What do you hate about non-rationals?
    By therationaledge in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO