• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you hate about Anime?

Passacaglia

Yeah, I've been meaning to get into the .Hack// series! But I'm not even sure how each series are connected to each other and what to watch first. It's interesting you say "character-oriented fans" though because I totally just realized that's the first and most important thing I care about whenever I start a show. I almost forgot that sometimes people can be drawn in by the artwork/action scenes.
Haha, I know what you mean. My best friend is a pro actor, and there are some movies/series we can watch together...but many that one of us will rave about, and the other will just go :shrug:.

Anyhow, wish I could help you navigate the .Hack// series, but I've only seen Quantum. I think it's either the first one, or they're all stand-alone series.

From what you seem to like though, I think a series with a good combination of our tastes you might like is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I think all of the characters are amazing and well-written, and there's plenty of action too. :yes: It's in my top 3.
I really want to love Gurren Lagann, but there's something holding me back. I think it's a combination of the artwork and the way that the mechs seem to respond to Simon and Kamina in a very non-mechanical way. If the mechs were instead 'magical golems,' I don't think the latter would bother me, but I'm a student in a technical field and all I can think is "That's not how it works!" Granted, I've only seen two episodes, and both the setting and the characters do seem promising.

Passacaglia

In other news, I just finished the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Arise, and was pleasantly surprised. I had seen some of a different GitS series years ago, and don't remember being impressed. I think it helps that each Arise episode is almost an hour long, whereas the other series was in the usual short 20 minute bits. :)

My memory of the movie is very sketchy, so I can't say whether Arise is an advancement of the movie's timeline or if it's a story revamp. Either way, it's currently on Netflix, and it's highly recommended!

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The breast physics. They bounce all over the place for no other reason than fan-service.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it funny that this made your list, because from what I've seen it's known as one of the worst modern anime to be released so far. :shrug: I watched it and I actually thought that the first 14 episodes were excellent, but after that I understood where all the criticism was coming from. Asuna's personality did a 180 for no real reason or development other than that she and Kirito fell in love, all the past characters that were built up in the first half of the series got put aside until the last episode (Klein especially), and all of the female characters that were good characters in their own right just kind of had one-episode arcs to crush on Kirito and one-up his character. Not to mention that Asuna was kind of reduced to the fodder love interest for the MC over time (Hinata from Naruto has this problem too) while also providing fanservice to people with tentacle/rape fetishes. Basically every character other than Kirito was reduced to a plot device. Except his cousin, who ended up just being annoying as hell since Kirito's love for Asuna was already established and she had grown up with Kirito as her BROTHER.

Not to say that it can't be your favorite btw haha. I've liked anime that were nothing spectacular - I'm just surprised this one matched your expectations. Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are really good choices. :yes:

The premise for Sword Art Onlines first virtual world, with real death consequences to dying ingame with an interesting antagonist to boot, made the first light novel and part of the anime one of my favorites. But after Aincrad, it goes downhill very fast. And it doesn't get better.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How it seems like all of the 'good' ones are so god damn long, or so short it's painful.

But mostly.. Just.. How awkward it is to introduce to people that haven't ever seen anime before. There are aspects of almost any anime, even really great ones, that just make you sweat with anxiety like, 'are they going to judge me for these stupid few parts? its a really good story, I swear...'

And sometimes the incredibly awful endings. Fruits Basket was like seriously the worst ending ever.. what a waste of a show. You get all invested into something, watch it, and the ending is just the worst.. and not just a bad ending, sometimes it doesn't even reflect what would make sense.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And sometimes the incredibly awful endings. Fruits Basket was like seriously the worst ending ever.. what a waste of a show. You get all invested into something, watch it, and the ending is just the worst.. and not just a bad ending, sometimes it doesn't even reflect what would make sense.

*psst* the manga is WAY better. :D

The premise for Sword Art Onlines first virtual world, with real death consequences to dying ingame with an interesting antagonist to boot, made the first light novel and part of the anime one of my favorites. But after Aincrad, it goes downhill very fast. And it doesn't get better.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The first 14 episodes were great (minus the part about characters like Silica and Lisbeth getting one episode for filler and not expanding upon their characters) but I feel like if they ended the show after the Aincrad arc it would have stayed spectacular. Instead it went downhill. I am happy with how they ended the second half of the show though, since Kirito and Asuna were reunited and all the other characters from Aincrad got their closure. Enduring that entire half though was really hard. :/

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
*psst* the manga is WAY better. :D

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I find it funny that this made your list, because from what I've seen it's known as one of the worst modern anime to be released so far.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did get bored after the second season-I much prefer Log Horizon, a show with a similar premise (for those who don't already know); for me its been kind of the inverse of SAO, starting slowly but getting better as time goes on.

Little_Sticks

The guys and girls look the same. Their emotions are often over-the-top or overly pathos driven. And it blurs the line between sexuality and pedophilia.

Chthonic

Overly simplistic emotional devices, kind of like watching kids play. Gives me the impression that Japanese culture never developed beyond primary school. So, so sick of watching moody bitches for guys play out in cartoon form.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Japanese voice acting is way, way too dramatic. Their emotions are histrionic as fuck.

Then there's the issue of unnecessary child sexuality and completely random and nonsensical plot jumps to get from point A to child sexuality. I'm not even talking teens. I'm talking about Lucky Star.

Then the English dubs don't work because they try to tone down the histrionic reactions but can't explain for it.

I like animes that have an ounce of self-respect. Digimon and Fullmetal Alchemist are my favorites. Fullmetal Alchemist especially, because the writing has a good artistic quality to it. There's actual themes and development going on.

Passacaglia

So whaddya get when you combine Final Fantasy, Pirates of the Caribbean, a smidgen of Star Wars, and a huge CGI budget?

I'm still not sure what to think about this one. It's not actually anime, but it definitely has that over-the-top steampunk anime spirit. Anyone else seen it? I think I have to watch it a second time, just to decide how I feel about it. :thinking:

(And to catch all the details I missed!)

Passacaglia

I know I keep bringing this thread down with unwanted positivity, but I have to rave about my latest find:

I clicked the play button on RWBY expecting another magical-girl gonzo drama that I'd kick from my Netflix list after ten minutes. Well, it does take place in a fantastical world and the action is absolutely gonzo...but I was nevertheless floored. It's got the right mix of characterization, action, compelling over-arching plot, fast-paced sub-plots, and clear allegories to messy real-world issues. The cgi is second-rate in this day and age, but the characters and world nevertheless come alive in a way I rarely seen in higher-budget shows. The female outfits are absolutely improbable for the fighting they do, and some of them wear the obligatory skimpy stuff, but there's also a bit of beefcake and even an ass-slap...directed at a guy by his female leader!

Gotta go for now, but this one is an instant classic. I recommend it to absolutely everyone!

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The fact that the bullshit gets popular instead of the good examples such as Akagi.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Overly simplistic emotional devices, kind of like watching kids play. Gives me the impression that Japanese culture never developed beyond primary school. So, so sick of watching moody bitches for guys play out in cartoon form.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
WHY IS THERE A NEED FOR SO MANY TENTACLES!??!?!?!?

SINCE WHEN IS A TENTACLE A PLOT DEVICE!??!??!?!?!?