User Tag List

1231151 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Default The Walking Dead

I don't watch a lot of TV but after house sitting for a weekend, I made use of it.

Of note was the heavily advertised "Walking Dead" (AMC). It felt like a mashup of a few random films, especially 28 Days Later (hospital coma).

It was OK. Nothing great. Started well and than got pretty disjointed. It felt like a pilot/introduction rather than a real "first episode." Plot development was sketchy and the dialogue (near the end) was pretty trite.

But I can't expect too much. It's supposed to be something to watch before work starts on Monday. A dose of blood and gore. But I'd like to see where it goes and hopefully it will flesh out.

Anyone else catch this? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 03-24-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: merged threads
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Not sure if you are aware, but it is based upon a comic book series.

The thing about the comic series?

It is bleak.

Just... crazy dark, give up on humanity stuff. Honestly like Cormac McCarthy's the Road. Maybe worse.

So far, the story seems consistent with the comic series, but I also know it is going to change. Again noting: this is not the 'fun' Zombie apocalypse...

I really liked it. I felt the connection to the people. The pain he felt just aiming the rifle at his wife. The total loss of normalcy. And remembering moments from the first moments of the story makes me think how much the characters change, and it's very cool. Zombies are just a tool to tell a story about humanity, and the attempt to keep some semblance of it. They provide a little action, but they also provide an almost claustrophobic, ever-present and pressing fear, both physically and metaphorically in terms of the thin line between human and inhuman, but they are NOT the story.

Regardless, I recommend sticking with it, if you can handle some depressing stuff down the line.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    XXFP

For some reason I looked at the cable program lineup and thought they were playing three 60 minute episodes back to back. I changed the channel, assuming the credits were going to roll. Instead they were playing two 90 minute episodes. I missed the last half hour of the first episode!

Haha whoops. No wonder it seemed like such a weird ending.

The rifle scene was interesting because I have a somewhat trained response to calm down, open my eyes, relax, and breath different when thinking about rifles and aiming. So he's choking and it was a little discomforting.

I liked it. I'll probably tune in this Sunday. But I think it's still pretty silly as a show. I mean - the icon of a horse and sherriff is interesting, but most people just siphon gas from the tank of a car when they need it. A horse? Really? But it's fun to watch, I won't complain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think it was just one 90 minute episode that they played twice in a row.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I liked it. I'll probably tune in this Sunday. But I think it's still pretty silly as a show. I mean - the icon of a horse and sherriff is interesting, but most people just siphon gas from the tank of a car when they need it. A horse? Really? But it's fun to watch, I won't complain.
    Hooves don't need a road. I probably would have taken a bicycle over a horse though were it not for the distance (seeing how I don't know how to care for or ride a horse and they would probably spook).

He must have been in a coma quite a long time for some of the zombies to have been rotting that much. Also, when he saw the door with "don't open / dead inside" and the hands and noises coming out of it, why didn't he call out to the people in there? I would have thought there were trapped people in there or something. He didn't ask a lot of questions after he was found by that black dude and his kid. I realize he was shaken up and probably malnourished but still..

I really think this show will do well. I'm kind of partial to AMC because I love Breaking Bad and the network has a good reputation for having good shows. I read the first issue of the graphic novel months ago but by the time it premiered I had forgotten most of it. Gonna watch it every sunday forever. The graphic novel series has been going like nonstop since 2003 and the writer said he does not plan to end it. This show is foreseeable limitless if it keeps up its ratings and positive reception.

MBTI
    XXFP

I would have forgotten it was on tonight if I didn't check typec.

I'll watch tonight if I don't go out. Otherwise on the internet.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I would have forgotten it was on tonight if I didn't check typec.

I'll watch tonight if I don't go out. Otherwise on the internet.
    Would you mind sharing where you can see it on the internet? I've read the first 6 books of the graphic novels, and planned to watch the show last Sunday, only to discover that our cable company doesn't have AMC. Also, if anyone else reads this before tonight's show and can help point me to an internet source for it, it would be appreciated!

MBTI
    XXFP

I don't remember. I just googled 'watch the walking dead online' and clicked around.

warning: spyware likely.

It is also available on itunes.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

ZOMBIES! I love them!! That being said, I didn't see a thread for this show yet so I am taking Talullah's suggestion and creating a Dead Thread.

Sunday night freaked the shit out of me. I mean a ZOMBIE herd?? omg! I happened to watch Talking Dead later on and the subject of last seasons zombies sense of smell was mentioned, to which the producer of the show answered with something along the lines of, "zombies can smell the non dead some, but they're not bloodhounds".

Carl, CANNOT be dead! I know he was shot in the chest, but COME ON! I think Sophie climbed up a tree. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are alright!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Carl, CANNOT be dead! I know he was shot in the chest, but COME ON! I think Sophie climbed up a tree. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are alright!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching