• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
The Walking Dead

I don't watch a lot of TV but after house sitting for a weekend, I made use of it.

Of note was the heavily advertised "Walking Dead" (AMC). It felt like a mashup of a few random films, especially 28 Days Later (hospital coma).

It was OK. Nothing great. Started well and than got pretty disjointed. It felt like a pilot/introduction rather than a real "first episode." Plot development was sketchy and the dialogue (near the end) was pretty trite.

But I can't expect too much. It's supposed to be something to watch before work starts on Monday. A dose of blood and gore. But I'd like to see where it goes and hopefully it will flesh out.

Anyone else catch this? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not sure if you are aware, but it is based upon a comic book series.

The thing about the comic series?

It is bleak.

Just... crazy dark, give up on humanity stuff. Honestly like Cormac McCarthy's the Road. Maybe worse.

So far, the story seems consistent with the comic series, but I also know it is going to change. Again noting: this is not the 'fun' Zombie apocalypse...

I really liked it. I felt the connection to the people. The pain he felt just aiming the rifle at his wife. The total loss of normalcy. And remembering moments from the first moments of the story makes me think how much the characters change, and it's very cool. Zombies are just a tool to tell a story about humanity, and the attempt to keep some semblance of it. They provide a little action, but they also provide an almost claustrophobic, ever-present and pressing fear, both physically and metaphorically in terms of the thin line between human and inhuman, but they are NOT the story.

Regardless, I recommend sticking with it, if you can handle some depressing stuff down the line.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
For some reason I looked at the cable program lineup and thought they were playing three 60 minute episodes back to back. I changed the channel, assuming the credits were going to roll. Instead they were playing two 90 minute episodes. I missed the last half hour of the first episode!

Haha whoops. No wonder it seemed like such a weird ending.

The rifle scene was interesting because I have a somewhat trained response to calm down, open my eyes, relax, and breath different when thinking about rifles and aiming. So he's choking and it was a little discomforting.

I liked it. I'll probably tune in this Sunday. But I think it's still pretty silly as a show. I mean - the icon of a horse and sherriff is interesting, but most people just siphon gas from the tank of a car when they need it. A horse? Really? But it's fun to watch, I won't complain.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it was just one 90 minute episode that they played twice in a row.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I liked it. I'll probably tune in this Sunday. But I think it's still pretty silly as a show. I mean - the icon of a horse and sherriff is interesting, but most people just siphon gas from the tank of a car when they need it. A horse? Really? But it's fun to watch, I won't complain.

Hooves don't need a road. I probably would have taken a bicycle over a horse though were it not for the distance (seeing how I don't know how to care for or ride a horse and they would probably spook).

He must have been in a coma quite a long time for some of the zombies to have been rotting that much. Also, when he saw the door with "don't open / dead inside" and the hands and noises coming out of it, why didn't he call out to the people in there? I would have thought there were trapped people in there or something. He didn't ask a lot of questions after he was found by that black dude and his kid. I realize he was shaken up and probably malnourished but still..

I really think this show will do well. I'm kind of partial to AMC because I love Breaking Bad and the network has a good reputation for having good shows. I read the first issue of the graphic novel months ago but by the time it premiered I had forgotten most of it. Gonna watch it every sunday forever. The graphic novel series has been going like nonstop since 2003 and the writer said he does not plan to end it. This show is foreseeable limitless if it keeps up its ratings and positive reception.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I would have forgotten it was on tonight if I didn't check typec.

I'll watch tonight if I don't go out. Otherwise on the internet.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would have forgotten it was on tonight if I didn't check typec.

I'll watch tonight if I don't go out. Otherwise on the internet.

Would you mind sharing where you can see it on the internet? I've read the first 6 books of the graphic novels, and planned to watch the show last Sunday, only to discover that our cable company doesn't have AMC. Also, if anyone else reads this before tonight's show and can help point me to an internet source for it, it would be appreciated! :)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I don't remember. I just googled 'watch the walking dead online' and clicked around.

warning: spyware likely.

It is also available on itunes.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
ZOMBIES! I love them!! That being said, I didn't see a thread for this show yet so I am taking Talullah's suggestion and creating a Dead Thread.

Sunday night freaked the shit out of me. I mean a ZOMBIE herd?? omg! I happened to watch Talking Dead later on and the subject of last seasons zombies sense of smell was mentioned, to which the producer of the show answered with something along the lines of, "zombies can smell the non dead some, but they're not bloodhounds".

Carl, CANNOT be dead! I know he was shot in the chest, but COME ON! I think Sophie climbed up a tree. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are alright!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Carl, CANNOT be dead! I know he was shot in the chest, but COME ON! I think Sophie climbed up a tree. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kids are alright!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm really enjoying it, too! I love the vicarious nature of the set-up. I'm always kind of thinking about what I'd do in a life-or-death situation as I'm watching. They've done a good job mixing the personal drama with the survival stuff, too.

Surely they won't let the kids die! I'm surprised they haven't found Sophia yet, though. Did you wonder where the herd went? It seems weird they'd just keep moving in same direction like that. But I don't expect a whole lot of realism from this show--I think that would ruin it.

Did you know Rick is British? Best American accent since Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica.

This is a pretty hilarious re-cap: http://videogum.com/393602/the-walking-dead-s02e01-one-child-left-behind/tv/recaps/

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Thanks. I found the promo but couldn't really tell so I dug deeper and found a synopsis of the comic books. If the show follows the comics, I have a pretty good idea what's to come, assuming they follow the comics which I think so far they have.

I'm really enjoying it, too! I love the vicarious nature of the set-up. I'm always kind of thinking about what I'd do in a life-or-death situation as I'm watching. They've done a good job mixing the personal drama with the survival stuff, too.
There is something fascinating about survival and I've often wondered how I'd do in such a situation. All zombie stories have such a diverse group of characters too, which for me is also part of the appeal. I've always assume I'd panic and be the first one to be bitten/eaten, but hopefully survival instincts and adaptability would kick in and I'd live to see another day, day after day. ;P

Surely they won't let the kids die! I'm surprised they haven't found Sophia yet, though. Did you wonder where the herd went? It seems weird they'd just keep moving in same direction like that. But I don't expect a whole lot of realism from this show--I think that would ruin it.

Did you know Rick is British? Best American accent since Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica.
Yes, his accent is very good! I was really surprised when I saw him on this show and remembered him from the movie, Love Actually. He is for sure a cutie!
:laugh:

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'll be glad if both kids are dead; they're dead weights, along with that nut job Carol. I know it sounds harsh, but if I were in their situation the last thing I'd need or want around me are dead weights.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Carl is probably not dead. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed Sophie off-screen, though.

I was watching the show with my younger sister, and she made me laugh when she claimed that Rick looks like a younger version of Viggo Mortensen.

God, the first part of the premiere was so good, what with trying to hide from the herd and all. This show actually has me looking forward to the next episode.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I really would be okay, actually, with the killing off of the children, if it wouldn't trigger a big cry-fest amongst the adults for episodes on end.

Is it me, or was Sophia's mom really mismatched with the abusive guy (before he got zombied), casting-wise? She looks like she'd run a feminist bookstore in Seattle, and he looks like he crawled out of the backwoods of Georgia.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Yes, they didn't go well together. I think her short hair was from cancer and it's growing back, if memory serves.

Kids are always an irritant in these types of situations but for me as a Mom, I hope they find Sophia. When will people wise up and STAY together! "Wait here" rarely works!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

And thank you to [MENTION=408]Tigerlily[/MENTION] for the videogum link! I am loving that guy's recaps! Hilarious.

Edit: Haha, I'm up to the comments section in the recap, and other folks seem to share my thoughts about Dale/T-Dog/name hilarity.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Im pretty sure Daryl Dixon is my favorite thus far. More of him.

Loving this show. When I saw the end of the first episode this season (the scene with Carl), I literally made a big high pitched gasp. :shock: Getting a reaction out of me from a tv show or movie is rare.