• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Crabs

Permabanned
if the series continues after this new story arc and the group wanders aimlessly in the wild for a period of time before encountering another group, i think it should be a death cult. this post-apocalyptic world is like the dark ages with no technology or progress. i imagine it wouldn't take long for people to descend into superstition and mysticism. even before the destruction of civilization, people were joining various cults (jim jones, david koresh, ISIS, etc..) enough of these suburban utopias. with the dead roaming the earth, a lot of people would toss rationality out of the window and seek spiritual solutions. i could see a primitive, mayan-like culture forming, which makes human sacrifices to their tribal gods in order to seek protection from the damned. :hexer: that's where i'd like to see next season go.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my prediction for this new development: after everyone gets acclimated to the community, someone from the group is going to be exiled which will force the remainder of the group to decide if they're going to stay or leave with their "family."

It's possible. The thing is that I realize Deanna KNOWS that her little community is not going to survive. She's very aware of the dangers of Rick's group, but she sees them as a necessary infusion so that the current population will survive. She even hands them a lot of authority. She's expecting issues and yet hands them power. So I'm not sure what would have to happen for one person to be driven out.

The second half of Season 5 has been aimed more at framing the journey and "group" identity, it seems, than past seasons.

What I find interesting about the current arc is:

- We finally get a pretty clear litmus test of where the Rickites are in terms of competency, since often they've been fighting people closer to level. The Alexandrites are pretty laughable (clearly unable to handle themselves in the wild), and we see even in a non-shooting match that they don't even break a sweat with these jokers. It's like when you're a tenth-level whatever in an RPG and fighting tooth and nail against other tenth-level monsters, then you run across a band of level 1 and 2 adventurers and just mop the floor.

- Repeatedly the Rickites have found a community and then discovered that the community is made of monsters -- wolves dressed as sheep. In this situation, has the situation been reversed? So afraid to go inside, and now perhaps they are the wolves dressed as sheep, running free among the sheep? It's an interesting twist... as much as comparing the living humans to the walking dead themselves.

Glenn's come such a long way. I remember when he was the "rabbit" (in S1E2) who always ran, never fought. And then in Season 2, where the group lowered him into the well as the bait to lure a walker and almost got him killed. This episode frames even more how he has changed.

I also really laughed a lot at Carol's interview. Yeah, don't put all your cards on the table; it's best to keep some secrets.

Speculation:

EDIT:
Interesting interview with Nicotero:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-walking-dead-postmortem-producer-greg-112476375890.html

MBTI Type
INTJ
Wow. I thought this was the best episode in a good while. It brought in interesting new themes, characters and challenges. I was about to give up on the show, and now I won't. I'm especially intrigued at whether Rick's last line means he's fundamentally changed or if he's putting up a front for the sake of his group.

Also, Carol's interview and subsequent conversation with Daryl were the first genuine laughs on the show for a long time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good grief, Carol...

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Companion show (set in LA) gets a two-season order.

'The Walking Dead' Companion Series Lands 2-Season Order From AMC

AMC has placed a two-season order for the coming “Walking Dead” companion series, the title of which is still to be announced.

The upcoming series will be set in Los Angeles and revolve around new characters and storylines. The first season, consisting of six one-hour episodes, will premiere in the late summer, with the second installment airing next year.

Cliff Curtis (“Gang Related”) has been cast as the male lead in the series, which is being executive produced by “Dead” trio Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert. Series co-creator and co-writer Dave Erickson (“Marco Polo,” “Sons of Anarchy”) will serve as showrunner as well as executive producer.

Kim Dickens (“Gone Girl,” “Sons of Anarchy”), Frank Dillane (“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”) and Alycia Debnam Carey (“Into the Storm”) are also among the cast...

Kim Dickens was in House of Cards Season 3 as the pulitzer prize writer who hangs with the book writer (Tim?), plus the detective in Gone Girl. Seems pretty tough-minded.

Don't remember if I mentioned Frank Dillane (he played the young Tom Riddle AKA Valdemort during his "student" years, in the Harry Potter series). He hasn't done a ton else, but I do remember him being kind of creepy in the half-blood prince.

I don't know Alycia Debnam Carey well -- I didn't see Into the Storm, and I could only stomach about 20 minutes of "The 100" silliness before I quit watching.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It'd be cool if Gary Busey (or some other celebrity) played himself in the L.A. series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. I'll wait until tomorrow after people see it to discuss it more, but... that was a heavy episode. On multiple fronts. I have a mix of emotions right now.

We've only two episodes left (including the 90 minute season finale) and i have a feeling it's really going to be messy and ugly.

But all that being said... I just really love this season overall and especially the second half. It's just been feeling pretty real.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After watching last night's episode,

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After watching last night's episode,

---

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm not even sure what assumptions you are making here, you seem to just be purely cynical lately about anything that happens.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Anyone else think Deanna resembles Captain Janeway? Very impressed with Steven Yuen's emoting after the incident.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone else think Deanna resembles Captain Janeway? Very impressed with Steven Yuen's emoting after the incident.

Yuen was pretty good -- some of the best acting I've seen from him throughout the series esp in terms of facial emoting without having to say much.

EDIT: Oh yeah:

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
This Alexandria plot is by far my favorite development in the show since maybe Season 1. It feels like a breath of fresh air - the exact opposite of the slog that was the farm or the prison. I love the idea of the group having to tame itself to fit in and yet keep the animal edge they've developed from all their time in the field.

This last episode in particular was perhaps the most emotionally grueling and physically gruesome of the entire series for me. I felt for Noah in a way I didn't even feel for Tyrese when he died, even though I liked Tyrese so much more as a character. They simply bungled his death. The way they lingered on both deaths was a trial to watch, and carried emotional heft.

My worthless prediction is that in the finale, a member or members of our group will decide to stay and take the side of Alexandria in the inevitable showdown, leading to the first time our group will be fighting itself, kind of like the Civil War. The resulting death will be horrifying.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have any suspicions about who that character might be?
(Well, aside from Gabriel, who is a threat to no one.)

I think the whole Gabriel thing was more stunning because in this very same episode we see Rick's group exuding goodness compared to the Alexandriates. To the audience, it comes off as a huge misrepresentation that could have horrific results considering Glenn's group is coming home decimated and without Aiden. The reality is that Rick's group are not TAME lions, but they're very loyal, very good lions. They don't leave their people behind, so once you're in their family, they are all willing to die to protect you and vice versa. (Here Glenn almost died for Aiden, for example, after Nicholas ran... and they're still in the process of integrating.) Meanwhile, the Alexandrites are very much "survival of the not-weakest" -- they seem to abandon people at the drop of a hat even when the risk is not great and have no courage or skill at survival.

So it's jaw-dropping that you watch the group risk their lives (and get killed) to save Alexandriates throughout this episode, yet then get broadly tarred by Gabriel... and circumstances are such that his charges could generate enough suspicion and anxiety to create the very kind of destructive divisive conflict that Gabriel thinks he is heading off.

And now I'm wondering why they have such a stockpile and why it is rationed so severely. It could just be that they suck at supply runs. But there's something that Deanna isn't telling them, and it's why she took the risk in the first place of integrating them so they all might view each other as one community (although it hasn't gone as planned and there is still a strong us/them view). She wants them around for something.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you have any suspicions about who that character might be?
(Well, aside from Gabriel, who is a threat to no one.)

Well, Michonne makes the most sense, because her character has always been the one pushing hardest for a "home". But I really don't think they're gonna kill her off (as foolish as saying that about any character in this show is.) So my guess is Sasha. It's just a vibe I get.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I enjoyed the episode but mainly because I figured we'd be in a couple of episode lull until a big season finale blow out. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of red shirts go down (well, Noah might be considered a pink shirt I guess, he was sort of established but kind of expendable).

Preacher man already was easy to dislike (I don't like any of the characters I perceive to be whiny losers, although I am OK with Eugene since he's so upfront about it) so now yeah, everybody's going to hate him. Speculating now whether he will get his comeuppance in the finale or live to antagonize viewers next season.

I'm enjoying the season since I can't anticipate where it's going - does the gang get expelled from Alexandria or take over? I'm discounting an outside threat for now, but there is still the teaser relating to that other outsider kid who goes over the wall. So an attack from an outside group could still manifest as some sort of bonding event (i.e. if the gang saves Alexandria after a divide between them and the residents springs up).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
*see Gabriel and Noah on-screen together within the first five minutes of the episode*

"Uh oh, this isn't going to end well. The theory of two hungers"

*30 minutes later*

"Yep. Saw that coming..."