• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, one difference I can think of is that
Perhaps those differences are meaningless but I like to think they aren't.

Lol. Good point... although

I mean, I do agree intuitively that I think they are different, but their circles have begun to intersect to some degree even if they might never superimpose. Rick is not the same idealist Rick we saw through some of Season 2, I think things started to really change for him when that barn door was opened in mid-season.

Both men do act in utilitarian fashion and have the tribal loyalty, but along with when you have said here:
My opinion is that with Rick we are seeing what happens to a person with a decently functioning moral compass when he's subjected to extreme terror and grief over an extended period of time. With the Governor we're seeing what happens to someone who is only a good citizen because of legal/civil boundaries, not moral ones, when those legal/civil boundaries fall away (worse if he then gets a chance to set the next set of legal/civil boundaries himself).

I would also say that

I expect in the mid-season finale to see Andrea having to make a choice, which will end up further defining her character for good or bad.

I think she hasn't seen that the Governor is a 'slimeball' because he has aspects that she naturally resonates with. It's easy to see someone is a slimeball when their aspects don't mesh as naturally with yours. That's why I think, if she finds out what happened to Glenn, then her character is on the line -- at that point, she'll show her own character without any confusion. (AKA, is she loyal to her friends and willing to give up her own wants to help them, or will she sell out for what she personally wants, with someone who is morally dubious at best?)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Good points about Rick vs. The Governator. I strongly agree with your assessment that

MBTI Type
INTJ
Looks like we're alone in the Duck Lips Anti-Fanclub. I don't get her appeal at all. She consistently cozies up to the slimeball of the week and somehow fails to see that he's a slimeball. She has some badass qualities, that I won't deny, but personality-wise? Can't stand her.

Count me in. She has skills and toughness, but also has amazingly poor judgment and defends it vigorously. That's really off-putting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did anyone read the comic? Does anyone know how the characterizations match the comic? Just curious...

(I know obviously there have been a few major departures in terms of life/death in the character continuity so far...)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Did anyone read the comic? Does anyone know how the characterizations match the comic? Just curious...

(I know obviously there have been a few major departures in terms of life/death in the character continuity so far...)

I haven't read the comic, but I know that Shane and Darryl don't appear at all in the comic. That was surprising to me because they're such major characters.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't read the comic, but I know that Shane and Darryl don't appear at all in the comic. That was surprising to me because they're such major characters.

Well, Shane is at least mentioned, but he dies very early apparently... maybe even off the page. Not sure. Darryl definitely doesn't appear, nor does Merle.

I read a little bit of the comic synopsis this afternoon and was surprised at HOW different it was -- some characters are around longer, some not, some are missing altogether, some of the relationships are different, sometimes personality will be somewhat different. I only felt comfortable reading the page at all because it isn't necessarily giving anything away in the show.

KDude

You all should play the Walking Dead game (it's available for pretty much all platforms). It's not a mindless shooter or anything. It's an adventure title, and the storyline is dynamically generated based on your choices and relationships. It won many game of the year awards last year.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You all should play the Walking Dead game (it's available for pretty much all platforms). It's not a mindless shooter or anything. It's an adventure title, and the storyline is dynamically generated based on your choices and relationships. It won many game of the year awards last year.

So this isn't the one on FaceBook, but a different stand-alone version?

KDude

So this isn't the one on FaceBook, but a different stand-alone version?

Yeah, it's standalone (probably available on Steam.. I played it on the Xbox). It's 5 different "episodes", so you can pay in increments. It's centered on an entirely different group (although Glenn is a minor character).

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]. Yeah, she needs some serious 'taking care of' and she likes being tended to by the 'head dog'. Iow, I can't stand her either. To add to what you said about Rick; I don't think he pretends to be anything other than who he is. He's all 'over the place' sometimes, yes, but he's dealin' and he's had a lot to deal with. He's sorting himself out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meh. Just finished watching the half-season finale (the last episode released), and I wasn't that thrilled with it. Probably the worst episode I've seen in awhile. What a shame. Michonne of course managed to stir things up a bit, though.

Oh, and the Governor is officially a dick at this point.

EDIT: Great line in one of the AV Club reviews:

...[Third Season] episodes have done a great job at selling just how lethal and driven the winter made our heroes. The Governor’s attempts to bring peace and joy to Woodbury are built on a foundation of lies and murder, but it’s also a dream that’s making his soldiers soft. As dangerous as it gets for Rick and the others, they manage to pull off a major assault and achieve their central goal with only XXXXXXX (so far). That’s the tradeoff for recognizing the world for what it really is: not many ice cream socials, but you know how to get the job done.

I was thinking the same thing, especially in the last episode or two when the Governor cannot believe that a small group without major artillery cleared the penitentiary. Yes, our heroes have a higher-percentage body count than those who attempt Mt. Everest, it seems, but the survivors are pretty damned good at surviving. Glenn himself is a great case for it.... he was timid and skittish and a runner in that second episode of the series, and now he is a killing machine who can improvise on the fly. And you can see Maggie hardening up too. Carl doesn't even flinch. I remember them running scared in the wild, originally, chased by walkers; now they just casually walk around through the walkers and just kill them when they come near, without much urgency. Because they are no longer intimidated.

... and for you Duck Lip haters, you'll cheer with the last section of that review:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
LOL@ the Talking Dead promo timing. My favorite ever bad cut scene timing on TWD:

(I'm assuming I don't need to warn anyone that there are very gory images in that video... but just in case, DO NOT WATCH unless you can stomach this show.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now?? Your threshold for dickishness is very high :p

It just took me time to settle on the right word. I had many choices.

... seriously, I think the show didn't know how it wanted to portray him. He's more a dick than scary, to me, at this point. I think they muddled the presentation. IN the half-season finale, he should be terrifying, but I didn't feel much at all except thinking he was a paranoid ahole.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
OMG OMG OMG WALKING DEAD TONIGHT OMG OMG OMG

I have never needed the diversion of television like I need it right now. And television is there for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bummer. I don't have TV.
But I'll be able to watch it tomorrow on some random Internet site.

I really hope the thing between Darryl and Merle ain't a let-down. :unsure:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I haven't much liked the last two episodes at all. I don't even understand why the last episode was called "The Suicide King."

Honestly, I don't normally feel like the writers are manipulating the characters through some predetermined paces as much as I have with the last two episodes. I had a much better time watching Sherlock this weekend...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wondered about the title, too. I remembered from my Quaker school lunchtime poker games of yore that in a deck of cards, the "suicide king" is the king of hearts who is stabbing himself in the head (this one kid who liked to seem cool would always call "one-eyed jacks and suicide kings" wild). I'm trying to figure out how that connects to the episode, though. I suspect it has to do with Rick somehow. I'm poking around for more now.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
For me, last night wasn't great, but I think next week will be much better. Looks like they're following the comics right now, so things should be getting very crazy soon! :holy:

563557_4861651532175_970284680_n1.jpg
:harhar: