User Tag List

First 414950515253 Last

if the series continues after this new story arc and the group wanders aimlessly in the wild for a period of time before encountering another group, i think it should be a death cult. this post-apocalyptic world is like the dark ages with no technology or progress. i imagine it wouldn't take long for people to descend into superstition and mysticism. even before the destruction of civilization, people were joining various cults (jim jones, david koresh, ISIS, etc..) enough of these suburban utopias. with the dead roaming the earth, a lot of people would toss rationality out of the window and seek spiritual solutions. i could see a primitive, mayan-like culture forming, which makes human sacrifices to their tribal gods in order to seek protection from the damned. that's where i'd like to see next season go.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    my prediction for this new development: after everyone gets acclimated to the community, someone from the group is going to be exiled which will force the remainder of the group to decide if they're going to stay or leave with their "family."
    It's possible. The thing is that I realize Deanna KNOWS that her little community is not going to survive. She's very aware of the dangers of Rick's group, but she sees them as a necessary infusion so that the current population will survive. She even hands them a lot of authority. She's expecting issues and yet hands them power. So I'm not sure what would have to happen for one person to be driven out.

The second half of Season 5 has been aimed more at framing the journey and "group" identity, it seems, than past seasons.

What I find interesting about the current arc is:

- We finally get a pretty clear litmus test of where the Rickites are in terms of competency, since often they've been fighting people closer to level. The Alexandrites are pretty laughable (clearly unable to handle themselves in the wild), and we see even in a non-shooting match that they don't even break a sweat with these jokers. It's like when you're a tenth-level whatever in an RPG and fighting tooth and nail against other tenth-level monsters, then you run across a band of level 1 and 2 adventurers and just mop the floor.

- Repeatedly the Rickites have found a community and then discovered that the community is made of monsters -- wolves dressed as sheep. In this situation, has the situation been reversed? So afraid to go inside, and now perhaps they are the wolves dressed as sheep, running free among the sheep? It's an interesting twist... as much as comparing the living humans to the walking dead themselves.

Glenn's come such a long way. I remember when he was the "rabbit" (in S1E2) who always ran, never fought. And then in Season 2, where the group lowered him into the well as the bait to lure a walker and almost got him killed. This episode frames even more how he has changed.

I also really laughed a lot at Carol's interview. Yeah, don't put all your cards on the table; it's best to keep some secrets.

Speculation:

EDIT:
    Interesting interview with Nicotero:
    https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-walking...476375890.html
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Mane liked this post

Wow. I thought this was the best episode in a good while. It brought in interesting new themes, characters and challenges. I was about to give up on the show, and now I won't. I'm especially intrigued at whether Rick's last line means he's fundamentally changed or if he's putting up a front for the sake of his group.

Also, Carol's interview and subsequent conversation with Daryl were the first genuine laughs on the show for a long time.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces...221319707.html

If you guys want to buy property on location from the episode with Morgan two seasons back... well, here is your chance.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

Did our heroes just turn into the bandits?
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Did our heroes just turn into the bandits?
    No. The ending quote was done to boost ratings.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous
    Likes Mane liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Good grief, Carol...

Last edited by Bellflower; 03-09-2015 at 03:59 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Companion show (set in LA) gets a two-season order.

'The Walking Dead' Companion Series Lands 2-Season Order From AMC

AMC has placed a two-season order for the coming “Walking Dead” companion series, the title of which is still to be announced.

The upcoming series will be set in Los Angeles and revolve around new characters and storylines. The first season, consisting of six one-hour episodes, will premiere in the late summer, with the second installment airing next year.

Cliff Curtis (“Gang Related”) has been cast as the male lead in the series, which is being executive produced by “Dead” trio Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert. Series co-creator and co-writer Dave Erickson (“Marco Polo,” “Sons of Anarchy”) will serve as showrunner as well as executive producer.

Kim Dickens (“Gone Girl,” “Sons of Anarchy”), Frank Dillane (“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”) and Alycia Debnam Carey (“Into the Storm”) are also among the cast...
    Kim Dickens was in House of Cards Season 3 as the pulitzer prize writer who hangs with the book writer (Tim?), plus the detective in Gone Girl. Seems pretty tough-minded.

Don't remember if I mentioned Frank Dillane (he played the young Tom Riddle AKA Valdemort during his "student" years, in the Harry Potter series). He hasn't done a ton else, but I do remember him being kind of creepy in the half-blood prince.

I don't know Alycia Debnam Carey well -- I didn't see Into the Storm, and I could only stomach about 20 minutes of "The 100" silliness before I quit watching.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It'd be cool if Gary Busey (or some other celebrity) played himself in the L.A. series.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wow. I'll wait until tomorrow after people see it to discuss it more, but... that was a heavy episode. On multiple fronts. I have a mix of emotions right now.

We've only two episodes left (including the 90 minute season finale) and i have a feeling it's really going to be messy and ugly.

But all that being said... I just really love this season overall and especially the second half. It's just been feeling pretty real.

Likes Ivy liked this post