User Tag List

First 34424344454654 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Jarlaxle: "Bob, relax, we're doctors. This was medically necessary, but why not kill two birds with one stone? You couldn't afford our normal rates anyway."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Mane, SensEye liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's exactly what I was thinking about Father Gabriel (your spoilered text).

Re: Bob, I thought he was crying because he'd been drinking the communion wine. Wasn't he a pretty serious alcoholic pre-apocalypse? (And post, IIRC- I think he very nearly sold out some of the group for a backpack full of wine at some point.) I didn't think about the possibility he'd been bitten- or that he's immune- either/both of those would be compelling.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

An article about five characters that could be speculated to die this season. As always, just speculation... but not entirely unfounded. Spoilers in the article only go through Episode 2 (not the most recent, which aired last night):

5 Walking Dead Characters Who Might Actually Die This Season

I haven't watched the most recent episode, with my laptop out of commission momentarily.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Is it racist that I interpreted the introduction of a 3rd black male character as a premonition of a main character death?

Also, the wound was still fresh from the loss of T-Dog.

Permabanned

It wouldn't be quite as disappointing - at least here the black & white nature of the story wasn't in question. With the governor story I thought they are going towards moral ambiguity, concerning a morally questionable villain who was able to lead a community from the brink of extinction and provide humanity with a starting point to reclaim itself after the apocalypse, and our heroes destroying humanity's greatest hopes. Turned out that side of the story was all in my head, and they just ended up portraying him as a boring old villain.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post

It wouldn't be quite as disappointing - at least here the black & white nature of the story wasn't in question. With the governor story I thought they are going towards moral ambiguity, concerning a morally questionable villain who was able to lead a community form the brink of extinction and provide humanity with a starting point to reclaim itself after the apocalypse, and our heroes destroying humanity's greatest hopes. Turned out that side of the story was all in my head, and they just ended up portraying him as a boring old villain.
    I was really disappointed in the first part of Season 4 that way. They did some wonderful backstory about what happened to the Guv'nor after Woodbury fell, it was the first time I actually really felt like I understood the character and even had some pathos for him... and then they kinda wussed out and in the space of 40 minutes made him a one-dimensional creep again to service the plot. Just very disappointing.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... and then they kinda wussed out and in the space of 40 minutes made him a one-dimensional creep again to service the plot. Just very disappointing.
    Exactly. I don't know if I should take it that this is the writing style behind the show, behind the comic itself, or they just had to make a last minute cut because of some executive decision to loose the actor and accelerate the move from jail. For now I am not putting stock in their ability to portray villains with any depth.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Winning.
    Likes Ivy, Mane liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just watched the fourth episode ("What happened to Beth").

Okay, that was just boring and lousy overall. maybe ten minutes was interesting, but I found it extremely boring.... so much that I was on my cell phone while it was running because it just wasn't compelling enough to keep my attention, unlike the first three episodes.

One problem is that it centered around Beth, pretty much the least compelling character currently in the series. As an actor, Beth is one of the weakest of the cast to start with, and in this episode she spends a lot of time either delivering wooden lines or not saying anything while trying to "act dramatic" and she just doesn't have that skill.

Meanwhile the rest of the cast are all secondaries -- new characters, new actors -- and rather uncompelling themselves, delivering lines that seem pretty contrived / behaving in contrived ways. So you've basically just got a whole episode full of extras, with an actor who is little more than an extra. And the dynamics of the group seemed very contrived Because Plot.

And of course it's a fucked-up little community, but after Woodbury and Joe's Gang and Terminus and the Hunters, it's kind of like Fucked-Up Lite, like all the people who weren't quite evil enough got stuck together in this little cluster to wreak some damage on each other in the process of surviving. They just seem so one-dimensional overall that it's hard to believe they didn't even fall apart or change somehow to function better.

Just... argggg. It was a huge letdown after the pretty engrossing episodes preceding it.

MBTI
    INTp

I agree the Beth episode was a bit of a snoozer. I was hoping the last half of the episode would have Daryl/Carol break her out but the whole episode was just a set up for what I assume will happen in the next one. Unless they play that old literary trick of skipping back to Rick and the gang (and make us wait 2 weeks), and/or they might spend an episode on the bus crew (Glen/Maggie et. al.).

I hope not though, that technique tends to annoy me rather than build drama (which I think is the intent). I prefer they deal with a plot thread until a logical break/wrap up point.