User Tag List

First 27353637383947 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay, four episodes into the second half of season four and I thought they were all pretty strong character dev episodes, with some decent action sequences. Cray. See, though, what I hate is that this is what the show does -- I get excited when they have a few deeper episodes where things aren't just a hack writing job... then they turn around and blow the cliffhangers. They don't usually seal the deal.

At least we got to see Beth a little bit more, now that she's not just Maggie's little sister and is on her own with Daryl.

And the prior nailbiter episode with Rick trapped in the house with the other human scavengers was pretty awesome... really had no idea what would happen.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Okay, four episodes into the second half of season four and I thought they were all pretty strong character dev episodes, with some decent action sequences. Cray. See, though, what I hate is that this is what the show does -- I get excited when they have a few deeper episodes where things aren't just a hack writing job... then they turn around and blow the cliffhangers. They don't usually seal the deal.

At least we got to see Beth a little bit more, now that she's not just Maggie's little sister and is on her own with Daryl.

And the prior nailbiter episode with Rick trapped in the house with the other human scavengers was pretty awesome... really had no idea what would happen.
    I thought the second half of the season thus far has been nothing more than a meandering plot snorefest. I have absolutely no problem with character development episodes, so long as I can see some sense of overarching plot still going on.

If I had to summarize this second season so far would be Andrew Lincoln's pseudo southern accent yelling "karllllll" with notable strain in his voice.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I thought the second half of the season thus far has been nothing more than a meandering plot snorefest. I have absolutely no problem with character development episodes, so long as I can see some sense of overarching plot still going on.
    It hasn't bothered me, as losing the prison can be expected to cause some chaos, regrouping, and lack of direction.

However, I would hope to see some more plot movement now in the last four episodes of the season.

If I had to summarize this second season so far would be Andrew Lincoln's pseudo southern accent yelling "karllllll" with notable strain in his voice.
    Sometimes I wander around my apartment after my cat, yelling "Kiiiiitttyyyyy" in my best approximation of that voice. The cat usually hides under the bed.

Another great one is that line from "Face/Off" where Nicholas Cage says, "I'm tired, Eve," but it comes out in some bizarre fakish southern accent as "Ahm tarred, Ehveh."

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

LOL y'all. CAURRRLL!

I've been okay with the meandering, because it's (as silly as this seems now that I am getting ready to type it) realistic. I do hope and expect the season will have more direction soon. I'm assuming most of them will find their way to Terminus.

I might have already said this in the True Detective thread, but we typically watch both those shows back to back on Monday nights after recording them Sunday, and lately we've been watching TD first. This week I remarked to Noah that you know a show is dark when Walking Dead is your palate cleanser.

MBTI
    INTp

It's been a bit of a snooze fest. This series is having a hard time getting the balance right between character development and plot. Plus at some point, they need to move on from the "every stranger is a self interested barbarian thug" motif. That's getting a bit stale.

It was refreshing to see the red haired army guy (hanging out with Lara Croft no less) be helpful instead of harmful. Of course, Glen ("I want my mommy Maggie") pitched a fit and made a mess of things. But that's Glen for ya.

Anyways, all roads seem to be leading to that sanctuary place. Which probably has to turn out to be another wolf in sheep's clothing for the sake of the show's future.

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    It's been a bit of a snooze fest. This series is having a hard time getting the balance right between character development and plot. Plus at some point, they need to move on from the "every stranger is a self interested barbarian thug" motif. That's getting a bit stale.

It was refreshing to see the red haired army guy (hanging out with Lara Croft no less) be helpful instead of harmful. Of course, Glen ("I want my mommy Maggie") pitched a fit and made a mess of things. But that's Glen for ya.

Anyways, all roads seem to be leading to that sanctuary place. Which probably has to turn out to be another wolf in sheep's clothing for the sake of the show's future.
    I guess my boredom as of late arises from a sense of "Well, what next?", as we've generally explored all of the themes(well, all the themes I believe a show of this nature could have to offer): displacement, manipulation, loss, hopelessness, loneliness, desperation, the survival instinct overthrowing any sense of morality and ethics that were only ever afforded to us due to the luxury of a comfortable lifestyle.

I guess to me the show has conveyed everything it needed to thus far, and now they should look perhaps toward ending it (which possibly is what they're looking to being towards doing with the sanctuary for humans), as anything other than a fitting end would just serve to be in some way a rehash of said already explored themes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I might have already said this in the True Detective thread, but we typically watch both those shows back to back on Monday nights after recording them Sunday, and lately we've been watching TD first. This week I remarked to Noah that you know a show is dark when Walking Dead is your palate cleanser.
    For some reason, this makes me picture a Walking Dead zombie bloodbath with all the characters dancing around with big smiles while butchering (and getting butchered) while singing the Monkees "Daydream Believer" a la Glee.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    It's been a bit of a snooze fest. This series is having a hard time getting the balance right between character development and plot.
    In general, they haven't managed to integrate anything smoothly. It tends to be too much of one thing, then too much of another. WTF were they in the prison a season and a half anyway, without really doing much interesting and varied with it?

Plus at some point, they need to move on from the "every stranger is a self interested barbarian thug" motif. That's getting a bit stale. It was refreshing to see the red haired army guy (hanging out with Lara Croft no less) be helpful instead of harmful.
    I think he's a good addition to the cast.

Of course, Glen ("I want my mommy Maggie") pitched a fit and made a mess of things. But that's Glen for ya.
    Yeah, I couldn't see him abandoning Maggie even if rationally there's a good chance (from his perspective) that she's dead and/or he'll never find her.

Still, it was momentarily amusing to see him sucker-punch a guy about 6" taller and with 75-100 lbs on him.

I hope they can manage to make it different than the Guv'nor's facility. Don't wanna sit through another season of THAT again.

I think the character development episodes have been hit and miss. The best one by far was the one with Michonne and CORRRALLLL. The rest have been meh. I'm sure having dedicated episodes to certain splinter groups of characters looked great in the writer's room, but it's hard to do that and still have narrative momentum when you're only making 8 episodes at a time.

One thing I am looking forward to, however, is what the deal is with Eugene. I'm thinking that a borderline moron with a mullet isn't exactly humanity's scientific salvation, but I don't know what's going on there. I'm also interested in what happens with the younger of the two girls (can't remember their names) - I swear we saw one of her boots amid that mess of a feeding site we saw in a flash forward (was it Glenn who found it? Can't remember.)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess my boredom as of late arises from a sense of "Well, what next?", as we've generally explored all of the themes(well, all the themes I believe a show of this nature could have to offer): displacement, manipulation, loss, hopelessness, loneliness, desperation, the survival instinct overthrowing any sense of morality and ethics that were only ever afforded to us due to the luxury of a comfortable lifestyle.

I guess to me the show has conveyed everything it needed to thus far, and now they should look perhaps toward ending it (which possibly is what they're looking to being towards doing with the sanctuary for humans), as anything other than a fitting end would just serve to be in some way a rehash of said already explored themes.
    The comic book itself is still being written, so I doubt that's going to happen at the moment. Besides, they're making too much money off TWD.

TBH, there is no satisfying conclusion. Either the leads all get eaten and/or willingly kill themselves to embrace the futility of their existence; or they find a safe place to hole up with nothing resolved. The only other conclusion is to find a cure for the zombie infestation, but that seems unlikely.

I think if the current state of the world has worn out its welcome, it was due to the fault of the writing staff in past seasons. But I think giving them an actual MISSION other than survival would help. The thought of getting that doc to Wash DC is one "quest" idea. Basically, they need a quest beyond just surviving, to make things interesting. Maybe they might not survive it, but it gives direction as well as reasons to die versus attrition from getting eaten.