First 25333435363745 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    I love how this show dictates how we'll feel about certain characters, based on their actions. Now The Governor is a good guy. But check out this clip for next week. And note that the little girl isn't with them.
    I'd rather be surprised, so I'll just wait for the episode to air.

I did think it was a powerful episode, I was kind of shocked they could make him as sympathetic a character as they did; but it did leave me wondering what would happen once he got a taste of power back. If he falls again, I don't think he's coming back.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... If he falls again, I don't think he's coming back.
    ^^ yeah. I was right about that one.

On the upside, at least they're no longer in the prison and we can do something more interesting.

On the downside, that was just a stupid boring episode and I didn't feel much for any of it, and now we're out a few more characters. How can these people consistently fuck up the mid/end season cliffhangers? It's like they get so caught up in trying to do something epic, all the tension bleeds out of it. Any character development for the Guv'nor that occurred an episode or prior was tossed out the window, and it was just people doing stupid things to further a preordained plot.

I'm feeling like this show kind of died without even jumping a shark.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ReflecTcelfeR

I thoroughly enjoyed the latest episode.

I am excited for the extreme degrees of separation LoTR's style.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ran across this article today.
    What do y'all think about it?

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...3-big-mis.aspx

Ran across this article today.
    What do y'all think about it?

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...3-big-mis.aspx
    Completely agree on the first point. Even before the Governor went firmly back to the dark side, I thought all the psychological exploration in those two solo episodes was boring as batshit. Especially when I really wanted to know what was going on with the killer flu back in the prison.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Completely agree on the first point. Even before the Governor went firmly back to the dark side, I thought all the psychological exploration in those two solo episodes was boring as batshit. Especially when I really wanted to know what was going on with the killer flu back in the prison.
    That's not what the article had said.

It implied that if they had actually PURSUED the dramatic line they started with the Governor, then it would have been rewarding. It was only a waste because they essentially just tossed it in the trash "because [he's] Evil" so they could stage the prison battle.

That first episode of the Governor's plotline is actually one of my favorite shows of this season.... which just makes it worse, because it might as well have not happened. Wasted investment, wasted energy. The show is working in ways contrary to its own interest; by cannibalizing its own cast in mundane shallow ways, it sends the message to "not care" about anyone, especially if they are new characters. I know they have a difficult job, since the show necessarily entails continual deaths, but it doesn't even seem like there's an effort being made. That episode dramatically was a bitch to pull off, but somehow they did nail it (writer, director, actor); and then it was nixed by what followed.

They never really showed the end of the flu, did they? Glenn's pretty much well again, if weak. I guess getting the antibiotics or whatever was the silver bullet.

I also thought the situation with Herschel was a waste. It's too bad they didn't have him die during the flu, that would have made sense and fit his character. Again, it just another plot point -- "We need to <do this> to get so-and-so to <do this>, so then we can have <so-and-so> die like this just like in the comic."

That's not what the article had said.

It implied that if they had actually PURSUED the dramatic line they started with the Governor, then it would have been rewarding. It was only a waste because they essentially just tossed it in the trash "because [he's] Evil" so they could stage the prison battle.

That first episode of the Governor's plotline is actually one of my favorite shows of this season.... which just makes it worse, because it might as well have not happened. Wasted investment, wasted energy. The show is working in ways contrary to its own interest; by cannibalizing its own cast in mundane shallow ways, it sends the message to "not care" about anyone, especially if they are new characters. I know they have a difficult job, since the show necessarily entails continual deaths, but it doesn't even seem like there's an effort being made. That episode dramatically was a bitch to pull off, but somehow they did nail it (writer, director, actor); and then it was nixed by what followed.

They never really showed the end of the flu, did they? Glenn's pretty much well again, if weak. I guess getting the antibiotics or whatever was the silver bullet.

I also thought the situation with Herschel was a waste. It's too bad they didn't have him die during the flu, that would have made sense and fit his character. Again, it just another plot point -- "We need to <do this> to get so-and-so to <do this>, so then we can have <so-and-so> die like this just like in the comic."
    Yeah, I get that. I guess my personal feelings on how boring they were just overtook the point I was originally going to make, which was that those episodes felt like even more of a waste of time because of how the governor ended up.

I was really digging Herschel this season so I'm sad to see him go. I guess they had to make some kind of emotional impact with the oh shit it's the Governor episode and that was the angle they took. Ah well.

I hope Carol shows up again or that'll be another waste. She was actually cool at the beginning of the season.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I was really digging Herschel this season so I'm sad to see him go. I guess they had to make some kind of emotional impact with the oh shit it's the Governor episode and that was the angle they took. Ah well.
    Herschel might have been my favorite character at this stage -- at least in terms of his depth. He had the biggest perspective on everything, and managed to merge realism and idealism very very well. I'm not sure who Rick will go to in the future for wisdom.

I hope Carol shows up again or that'll be another waste. She was actually cool at the beginning of the season.
    Totally. I have always hated Carol... until this season, and now she was cool. I mean, I had issues with her burning sick people to "protect the tribe" as a unilateral decision, but she's always been so weak and timid and impotent. The Carol this season actually has strength and purpose and is more sure of herself.

I'm assuming they're saving her as a wild card for something.

MBTI
    INTp

The article made some good points. While I love all things zombie, I wonder about the longevity of any zombie show. It seems they all follow the pattern of:

1) Start with the zombocalypse and show groups struggling to survive the initial chaos
    2) Initial chaos has passed, now it's about the same small groups struggling to survive long term
    3) Next the groups start to turn on each other, and man's inhumanity to man becomes the central theme of the struggle (moving away from zombies)
    4) Usually the denouement is that mankinds inability to get along causes everyone to implode.

It would be an intersting change of pace to see groups co-operate with the theme being the stuggle to re-build society. I guess if it's too successful it would become boring, but the predictablity of everytime some group builds a mini-safe haven - it's only a matter of time before it falls apart is a bit boring too.

Walking dead wise, count me among those miffed that just as I started to like Hershel, they off him. I would have been much happier if Glen would have been the sacrificial lamb. I consider any Glen/Maggie couple scene a trigger to hit the FF button these days. I have no idea what they were blathering about in the prison pre-guv attack, I skipped right past it. I'm confident I missed nothing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have the first three seasons of this show, yet haven't had the time or patience to watch a single episode yet. From everything I've been told it's really good, though.

Also, has anyone played The Walking Dead game from Telltale? Playing through that is what originally piqued my interest in the actual TV series.