• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Walking Dead- CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to love this show. I was riveted by it Seasons 1-4?

I was behind a season when they

What fascinated me was watching a good man descend into doing what must be done, even if it's terrible things. I could go along Rick's ride. At a certain point watching this show requires an inner OK to sign up to depressing af future concept. It's unrelenting. I would have preferred that the show ended a few seasons back. I am ok with an ambiguous ending of, yeah they are ok here in this last moment as the last drops of sun are squeezed into the night. We don't know what's coming tomorrow or a hundred tomorrows later.

But this... sad carcass of a show. Let a walker bite it already. Please.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched Sunday's episode last night, and it just kind of dawned on me that I think the greatest source of my disinterest in the show is that over the last couple of seasons the show has kept the audience in a sustained state of melancholy, offering nothing outside of that, so much so that the show has just become monotonous and stale. Nothing particularly interesting is happening with any character in particular, nor are any of their respective stories really moving forward. It's just nothing but driving of sadness with no pit stops being made to explore any other forms of emotion.

Carol even emphasized that in her last conversation with Tobin. It's like the writers are so smart they're stupid (since they don't recognize how that pervades the efficacy of their stories). That is definitely how I feel, watching this much of the time... bored, lost in a gray lethargy. Every so often something provides a bit of interest and/or hope of something better, but it usually just goes right back.

Due to how prolonged this season has been, even Negan is starting to lose his thunder, and is actually starting to become more of sympathetic character than Rick (who's supposed to be the protagonist, yet as the series progresses I'm finding it harder to distinguish the lines between good and evil, as now it's mostly shades of gray and differing perspectives)

I think part of that is planned, based on what will probably happen when the storyline finally ends... but yeah -- I really am just tired of Rick at this point. It's okay to have a character who is struggling if you can maintain sympathy for the character, but the writing has basically made Rick so boring, repetitive, petty, and nonsensical that I just kind of want him gone. His behavior in this past episode did not strike me as some kind of "moral dilemma" where Rick is fighting for his soul, it's the same crap Rick has been indulging in for weeks/months of show time and finally hit a new despicable low that violates any sense of the character for me. But hey, I suppose now we're supposed to believe that since he manned up to finally read that disturbing freaky letter from his dead son in the last minute (who knew a piece of paper could be so terrifying?), suddenly he will have a change of heart and turn his entire life around. yeah. Sure. Whatever. and haven't we seen this before?

(Michonne has been kind of defanged as the "hero" for awhile, especially after she just became Rick's sidekick / love interest. I would say the heart of the show at this point is Maggie; I feel like she's the most ethical and one who most struggles over ethical questions even when she's veering in a grayer direction... When I watch her, I see the touch of her father in her, which is actually pretty meaningful from a character perspective. But everyone else is just on repetitive cycle autopilot.)

Negan was pretty fascinating in his early episodes, but now it becoming kind of meaningless even as he is becoming more sympathetic. This is an another negative effect of not resolving a storyline when it should be resolved and letting it drag out well past its natural expiration date.

Any show is going to become stale eventually and knowing that the directors/producers should start aiming for an end to their long arc plot. One of the problems here is that eventually you have two paths. The inevitable extinction of the human race or a discovery of the origins of the apocalypse. The latter if done right can be intriguing as a plot device and slowly unfolded over seasons. If they planned for the show’s eventual end we could have been seeing this apocalypse origins plot line emerging sometime after the governor/prison subplot. We’d be near shows end but potentially with an exciting climactic finish.

Also as others have mentioned, characters that become stagnant just aren’t going to retain the audience’s attention. I love Rick, Daryl and Carol (arguably the series most evolved character over the years) as character’s but if they’re not given opportunities to be truly challenged beyond bad guys and walkers I will (and have) lost interest. I’ve seen so many potential plot points over the second half of the series appear and almost become full plot lines only to then be used as props to keep viewers attention for one more week. I haven’t even bothered with the second half of season 8 yet.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Carol's great, or at least was.

I hated her in Season 1-2 or so... she was kind of everything I did not like in a person, she seemed very weak and fearful... and then suddenly she got her own story arc that was really pretty fascinating + was very different from the source material. She eventually became one of my favorite characters.

Unfortunately, she eventually traversed her personal arc... and now for a few seasons she's just been either sitting there not evolving at all or else going in small fake cycles like a plane maintaining a holding pattern over an airfield, because they have nothing new for her nor want to kill her off. So that's where the stagnation comes into play...

Carol is still my favorite character because she took a worldwide tragedy and used it to overcome her own personal one and transformed into an unstoppable woman. Unfortunately there’s just no vision for TWD at this point and therefore no vision for the individual characters.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there's a thread for me to finally cry about Carl's death XD

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah Coral was a tragic loss. I guess not really always been indifferent about him myself.

I've got a Carl tee shirt.

I was not okay.

I'm still not okay.

and I really hate Rick rn for not even trying to make Carl's death wish a reality.

6UTLCc2.jpg

I couldn’t help myself. I saw this earlier today and had to use it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a butler of an NPC in our weekly RPG game whose name is Karl, and we all keep calling him COORRRRRRALLLLLL....lolz

and I really hate Rick rn for not even trying to make Carl's death wish a reality.

Yeah, that's one reason why I'm pissed at Rick right now. I thought he was better than that, and if he really loved his son, well... I just can't believe he didn't read the damn letter. Like DUDE... you have another kid you have to look out for, you can't go off half-cocked all the time, and you owe it Carl to listen to him. He died because of you, more or less. Be a better man.

-----

and geez, why is Morgan going crazy again? He just seems to flip back and forth depending on whether the writers need a crazy man in the game.

And now he's getting moved somehow to Fear the Walking Dead? I guess we'll see what happens on April 15 when they run both shows together? (I guess that is what is happening?)

----------

Kind of the same objections I had...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...has-officially-gone-too-far-with-rick-grimes/

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This last episode, the penultimate of the season, was better than most of the rest (even if there's still a few lame parts).

Next week: Seaside crashes the party (and Jadis too, I bet), Carl wins, Morgan gets kicked to another show, and finally we can move on from 32 episodes of Negan as the big bad. (And it's really more, because it started before the start of Season 7.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
This last episode, the penultimate of the season, was better than most of the rest (even if there's still a few lame parts).

Next week: Seaside crashes the party (and Jadis too, I bet), Carl wins, Morgan gets kicked to another show, and finally we can move on from 32 episodes of Negan as the big bad. (And it's really more, because it started before the start of Season 7.

Initially, I was kind of surprised with the fevor in which Negan expressed his desire to crush Alexandria and The Hilltop, perhaps thinking the experience of witnessing from a different perspective the aftermath of his Savior's might and bonding with Jadis over loss would've softened his resolve.

Thinking about it later, I guess he saw the emergence of Rick as the catalyst that led to massive causalities of his own people, and even caused the loss of faith in his leadership which led to Simon attempting to usurp him.

His response to Carl's letter surprised me, but I guess it was necessary to drive forward the plot to the All-Out War conclusion.

Also, the ending with Dwight kinda threw me for a loop, especially after he'd helped Negan in the courtyard.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, as the culmination of a 40-episode arc, last night's "survival sunday" season finale was rather... underwhelming.

I heard good things about the season opener for FTWD, which is surprising. I dunno. I quit watching them after a rough opening 1.5 seasons and wasn't compelled to return when I saw everyone they've killed off since. But who knows?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
TWD kind of jumped the shark last night. The writers wrote themselves in a corner so they had to resort to a:

I did enjoy FTWD. It's great seeing Shannon from Lost again on the small screen. Looks like she's gonna be taken by some bad characters.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'The Walking Dead': What Went Wrong With This Show? - Rolling Stone

Here's a great paragraph, discussing how The Talking Dead is operating as a crutch for poor writing:

I can't find the opinion I read earlier today about why what Rick did was so horrible as presented, but basically...

TWD kind of jumped the shark last night. The writers wrote themselves in a corner so they had to resort to a:

Yup. it really ruined credibility.

I wanted to do to the writers what Rosita did to him afterwards.