• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting episode. (#7)

the opening (with Kyle Before The Incident) was actually rather poignant. I knew how it would play out, but it was agonizing to see him there... no wonder he's all torn apart.

And I have to say that Angela Bassett gets all the greatest lines. I love hearing her go off on a rant.

I like how the scene was shot when Zoe went into the bedroom wearing the towel.

And I wonder if we've seen the last of Spalding.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Pre-Incident Kyle bugs me. I think it's because he does NOT sound like he grew up in New Orleans' 9th ward. He sounds like he's from Boston.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The two stars of this season, IMO, are Angela Bassett's arms.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time to pool our money. Ante up, peeps!! Don't be stingy!

American Horror Story House in Hancock Park for Sale

A cultural landmark popularized by the television show “American Horror Story” is back on the market in the Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. Known as the Alfred F. Rosenheim Mansion, the home made famous by Hollywood horror was built by the German-American architect of that name in 1904 and offers six bedrooms and nearly 7,600 square feet... This time around, the Rosenheim Mansion has relisted for the tidy sum of $7.85 million.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, interesting bit of news: Lily Rabe was cast as Commander Lyme in the "Mockingjay" Hunger Games movies.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So, I just watched last week's episode and I'm curious to hear what you guys think. I enjoyed it but I keep feeling like this is gearing up for something super amazing and it's all still just gear-up. So the payoff is going to have to be awesome.

Also, is anyone bothered by the racial politics of the show? It's sort of gearing up to be a black witches vs. white witches war where the audience is in the position to basically root for the white witches (since they get the majority of the screen time and the protagonists are all on that side). And they give all this rich backstory and nuance to Fiona who is kind of a big baddie in her own right but is allowed to have some ambivalence and compelling moments, but Marie Laveau is just "big bad voodoo mama" with very little character development. The Onion AV Club reviewer speculated that this is because if we got more history/character development on why she's at war with the coven, we might have to root for her "side," since her grudge includes fecking slavery.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I just watched last week's episode and I'm curious to hear what you guys think. I enjoyed it but I keep feeling like this is gearing up for something super amazing and it's all still just gear-up. So the payoff is going to have to be awesome.

I'll have to watch it, I got... uh... sucked up in Breaking Bad. :blush: Lol. Maybe tonight, since TWD is off for a bit?

Also, is anyone bothered by the racial politics of the show? It's sort of gearing up to be a black witches vs. white witches war where the audience is in the position to basically root for the white witches (since they get the majority of the screen time and the protagonists are all on that side). And they give all this rich backstory and nuance to Fiona who is kind of a big baddie in her own right but is allowed to have some ambivalence and compelling moments, but Marie Laveau is just "big bad voodoo mama" with very little character development. The Onion AV Club reviewer speculated that this is because if we got more history/character development on why she's at war with the coven, we might have to root for her "side," since her grudge includes fecking slavery.

I'm still wondering what they'll do with it and how others perceive it.

I mean, i think the most unsympathetic character was Kathy Bates' character for some time, out of all the characters, and her racist behavior in the first 1-3 episodes really positioned the black side as the side that had been victimized. So far for me, I've still been operating under that presumption and don't blame Laveau for what she's been doing -- considering how she and her group were victimized, her antagonism of the white witches makes sense to me. I do think she is burning up capital in the viewers' perspective, though, since she refuses any kind of compromise. There was only one black witch I recall represented (Queenie) and Laveau was vying for her loyalties simply due to race. I do think Bassett has the capability to handle more nuance in her character (as Lange can), so I hope she is given more range throughout the rest of the series.

i'm not really fond of the white witches, myself. most are flakes, or presumptuous, or self-absorbed. Zoe's probably the most sympathetic (and Nan), and Delia's a sympathetic character since she is trying to be responsible for the girls and has been taken advantage of by her mother and her husband... and Misty's just a wild card. I don't really have a negative view of Laveau yet because I understand why she does what she does; I suppose for me it comes down to what she does when it is in her best interest (and the interest of those she looks over) to make peace and then decides to do so or not. At that point, her character would be even more sorely tested.

Again, I did not see the most current episode, so maybe my opinion will shift after seeing it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not really fond of them either except for Cordelia to some degree, but they are positioned in the story structure as the protagonists.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
PS, you are going to need some kind of soul cleanser after marathonning the entire BB series! :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PS, you are going to need some kind of soul cleanser after marathonning the entire BB series! :D

I gotta say, I love it... but it's kind of getting me down. There are very few characters who are generally above reproach (and I'm thinking Holly and Walt Jr here). Even the "good" guys can be real a-holes. Maybe Marie's okay, she's just a klepto but otherwise seems pretty good-hearted.

Oh wait, Gale was pretty decent. Aside from making meth to peddle to crackheads and kids. (He has also inspired me to dig up "leaves of grass" which I've never read, so I hope to read it soon.) Of course, the decent people aren't positioned to go very far when they're running with wolves.

From every indication, I think things are gonna get really bad by the end of Season 4.... and I am trying VERY hard to avoid spoilers and not read anything I don't have to. But... I'm thinking things between Gus and Walt are gonna come to a head. My guess is that somehow Walt ends up in charge. But.... only 7 more episodes to go until season 5 and I find out!

It's pretty sad if I have to go to American Horror Story to find lighter fare... ROFL.

I'm not really fond of them either except for Cordelia to some degree, but they are positioned in the story structure as the protagonists.

I agree, they are being positioned as the main characters, and the black witches are kind of secondary characters or challenges to the white clan.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I watched BB from beginning up to the finale in two weeks, and I gotta say it was super depressing. I still say Walt's not a bad guy, he just got fucked over with Cancer and an opportunity presented itself.

As for AHS, I have no idea what's going to happen, and that's the way Ryan Murphy wants it. I do think we'll be surprised at the end though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for AHS, I have no idea what's going to happen, and that's the way Ryan Murphy wants it. I do think we'll be surprised at the end though.

That is my hope.

They've usually pulled out surprises a number of times, so I'm hoping even if this all seems pretty "straight forward," that it simply means we can expect some kind of curve ball (or a few of them). I'd be disappointed if something didn't come along to shake things up.

as far as BB goes, I'm also seeing they only have the first eight episodes of Season 5 (the Part I segment) up -- ARGGGGG. Does that mean I have to find free download sites??? I know i can find them, but the quality won't be as good. Otherwise it's shell $30 out on Amazon for DVD.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wouldn't usually be this picky, but the last half of season 5 of BB is so good, I would spring for the DVD over watching it in crappy quality on free sites.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
At least pay for Ozymandias. It's pretty amazing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched episode 8 of AHS:C tonight, finally. (I still have episode 9 to go.) And I figured out what was in the box as soon as it appeared, ROFL! Some good moments in this show. But it still has me guessing as to what's going to happen. No idea right now how things will resolve.

At least pay for Ozymandias. It's pretty amazing.

I ended up Torrenting the last eight episodes in a package, the quality was really good... and yes, I'm glad, cuz those were episodes worth seeing in decent quality. I'm still unpacking it emotionally a week later. One of my favorite series ever.

Ozymandias was so intense.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Some significant plot twists/developments in episode 9. All good ones IMO.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some significant plot twists/developments in episode 9. All good ones IMO.

Cool. Episode 8 had its moments, but (as another reviewer said) it only reminded me how kind of static the rest of the season has been at times. I feel like I'm still waiting for stuff to happen that is meaningful in the big sense of the word and plot dev.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=226]SensEye[/MENTION]: Finally watched Episode 9 and now I'm up to date.

Yee-haw, finally, sh*t happens! Decent episode.

But i can't believe they cast Jerry from "Smash" on this show; man, I hate that guy. he seems to leave a trail of slime no matter where he appears.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Still pushing for Nan as the next Supreme!