• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I kinda wish they hadn't announced it- just let her show up and everybody freak out.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
^ That would have been good. Connie Britton, and Dylan McDermott might show up too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The commenters over at the Onion AV club are really excited about last night's man-ass sighting!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I like the idea of healing being limited, having a price to pay, etc. Misty herself was fried but looks whole again; it would be interesting if the latest victim actually remained looking the way she looks now, all toasty-o, just alive vs dead. Yes, I'm twisted and sadistic that way. But I don't like "Get out of Jail free" cards in my stories, I want trauma and sacrifice to mean something.

We should have a betting pool on who the next Supreme is going to be.

Hah I was thinking the same thought at work today, I think it would be more interesting if
stayed burnt and crispy in appearance.

Also I agree with your choice of supreme ala spoiler. ;)

*EDIT*

After the latest episode
....well huh that was typical. Or rather it's not surprising.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw it... including guy butt!

At least we know what is up with hubby.

Angela Bassett scares the <bleep> out of me. I mean, she can play some of the sweetest people when she wants to, but when she wants to be bad, she's pretty effin' terrifying. I'm not sure why she just doesn't go and take out Witch House all on her own.

Meanwhile, with Misty Day around, I feel like we're in the latter part of a checkers match where after half the pieces left the board now everyone's getting kinged again in the back row. Enough already!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Meanwhile, with Misty Day around, I feel like we're in the latter part of a checkers match where after half the pieces left the board now everyone's getting kinged again in the back row. Enough already!

I know, right?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I knew Misty was going to bring Madison back, it was just a matter of when. I think there will be consequences to each resurgence, like a Pet Sematary theme. I am fine with it as a plot element.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hah I was thinking the same thought at work today, I think it would be more interesting if
stayed burnt and crispy in appearance.

Also I agree with your choice of supreme ala spoiler. ;)

*EDIT*

After the latest episode
....well huh that was typical. Or rather it's not surprising.

Um I am sorry if this comes across as rude, but I don't know how either of you could guess the one "dark horse" person as a Supreme. The Supreme shows the full spectrum of power and has radiant good health. She begins to flower as the other is dying. She will be under forty (probably under thirty) and definitely not sixty.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hope so because last year was a mess. Too many story lines, and the ending should/could have been better.

I just finished watching Murder House again on Netflix, and to date that one is my favorite, but Coven might take first place after all is said and done. I really connected with many of the characters in Season one, but not really any with Asylum. As for Coven, so far the only one I don't like (for obvious reasons) is Delphine LaLaurie. No idea who "The Supreme" is, and I think it will stay that way until near the end.

Asylum is my favorite so far because it is the scariest. It's the only one I feel is real gritty horror. I also love Lily Rabe in that one. "I know everything, I'm the devil!"

I am deeply absorbed in Coven as a dark mysterious drama though. I care a lot more about the characters in Coven, the characters in Asylum are horror characters, or like an Agatha Christie novel, all are touched by evil. More of the Coven characters lack evil despite their human flaws.

Honestly Murder House is my least favorite. Mostly subplots kept me hooked. And one of the most horrific scenes in that one was the school shooting. It seemed very realistic and frightening.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Asylum didn't scare me that much at all... not like Murder House... not did it do a lot for me. And a lot of the storylines just seemed to go nowhere. As stated somewhere else, though, i really did like the last episode, and had no clue what was going to happen until the credits finally rolled and we found out which character was the most hardcore survivor. I guess different strokes and all that.

As a side note, I watched Cropsey today -- it's a great documentary on NetFlix currently about the Cropsey urban legend mixed with the convicted kidnapper (and suspected murderer) Andre Rand over on Staten Island, and a lot of the events centered around the Willowbrook mental hospital there. I didn't realize that Geraldo Rivera as one of his first gigs ever did an expose on that place in the early 70's and blew the story wide open (there was footage of the patients there and it was horrible... basically the asylum had just become a dumping ground, and patients were covered in feces, naked, untended, etc.), contributing deeply to the shutting down of many facilities a decade later.

If Rand actually did kill the missing kids, as he had been an attendant there, it's likely it had an impact on him -- all the missing kids had physical or mental problems, and probably Rand (in his own twisted way) thought he was doing them a justice after what he witnessed in that facility. The documentary really didn't try to "solve" anything, it just presented various facets of the story. (I will say that Rand's definitely a nut himself at this point, you can track his deteriorating/fractured view of reality throughout the documentary by his behavior and letters that are shown. But it's still not clear whether he is truly the murderer or whether he was just a reasonable and convenient scapegoat for the crimes, due to his past history.)

I suspect they modeled Briarcliff on Willowbrook. Even the names are rather similar.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
For me, Murder House was the scariest out of the three. The idea of being trapped in that house forever kind of freaked me out. It was awful when Violet repeatedly ran around the house in an attempt to escape, not realizing she was dead. Frances Conroy, and Alexandra Breckenridge as Moira were both excellently played, and I loved Zachary Quinto as the scorned lover. I also loved seeing The Black Dahlia. Don't get me wrong though, I liked Asylum. I guess I could have done without the mixture of Alien, Night of the Living Dead, Omen, etc. With all of those elements thrown together, it seemed a bit contrived towards the end of the season. Like [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] said, different strokes. ;)

So out of Murder House, Briarcliff, or the Coven house, which one would you choose to live in? For me, the Coven house seems the least threatening, so far anyway.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My problem with Murder House is that I found the older couple too upper middle class and yuppie beyond belief, and eventually even found the younger couple about as interesting as the Twilight series. I am sorry, but....I just didn't like the family much. I didn't relate to them. I also found the ending a tad too twee.

Violet was better than her parents though. I pretty much hated the father character and could never muster sufficient sympathy for the mother either.

Yes, I found the haunted L.A. aspect of it more interesting, the original couple from the twenties, Dr. Murder and yes, AGAIN Lily Rabe's character. I think Lily Rabe and Jessica Lange are consistently the best actresses in all three seasons. I also have had sympathy for both of Jamie Brewer's characters in season 1 and 3. I also enjoyed the maid in Murder House. I should not leave out the talent of Frances Conroy. Like I said, subplots kept me hooked. I liked the neighbors and the old ghosts.

The Coven house probably is the least threatening.

I am not alone in preferring Asylum. It was nominated for tons of Emmys last year and I was not surprised. I thought it blew Murder House out of the water, but I prefer the horror tropes from that season probably, the asylum and religious horror and serial killers and everything except for the aliens, really. I also liked the way it ended and found Lange's role in season 2 so dynamic.

The writing wins in all three seasons though. I can't stop watching the show, and I am not hooked on shows easily.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
The writing wins in all three seasons though. I can't stop watching the show, and I am not hooked on shows easily.
Agreed! I'll watch anything Jessica Lange is in! :wubbie: I've had a crush on her since I first saw her in King Kong, and she blew me away as Patsy Kline in Sweet Dreams. The rest of the AHS cast is pretty brilliant too. I will probably get a lashing for saying this, but I'm not a huge Glee fan, however Ryan Murphy has really outdone himself with AHS. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Jessica to return for Season 5, as she is saying Season 4 will be her last. :(

Best part of Asylum for me was this.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Um I am sorry if this comes across as rude, but I don't know how either of you could guess the one "dark horse" person as a Supreme. The Supreme shows the full spectrum of power and has radiant good health. She begins to flower as the other is dying. She will be under forty (probably under thirty) and definitely not sixty.

Well it's more of a wish fulfillment actually. I don't think that
will necessarily be The Supreme, it would just be an interesting change.

I agree about Asylum, thinking on it, possibly is my favourite of the three, although I enjoyed some of the twists of Murder House.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You're reading far too much into my comment. Of course there's very little chance / nil chance it would happen, due to the details you've mentioned; but dramatically it would resolve the earlier arc of rivalry and restore what had been likely stolen, as well as expose Fiona's entire reign as a mistake and sham. That is what would make it interesting to a WRITER. And yes, the rules currently preclude it, so very unlikely, it's just that writers do change the rules sometimes so it's kind of impossible to say something with 100% uncertainty especially with a show that DOES pride itself in breaking rules.

TBH i'm more interested in your thoughts about the main pick, not arguing about an outcome we all agree has slim-to-no chance.

[MENTION=408]Tigerlily[/MENTION]: yes! That dance sequence was so awesome. :) I love it when shows take risks like that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I finally caught this show. Well, I just saw the first episode, but I liked it. Kind of reminds me of the Shining.

I don't like that father character at all. He strikes me as covering up something really nasty... there is just a lot of things about him that strike me as false. I don't know what to make of that kid or not.

What's interesting to me, though, is how more normal fears are sort of interwoven with all of this, like a decaying marriage, or adolescent peer groups. I think a lot of the unsettling nature of all of this is that there's some stuff going on in the show which is unsettling, and which actually does happen. It also plays around with the absence of boundaries. Nobody has any boundaries or respect for space. In my overly-analytical tradition, I saw some social commentary throughout. I think the fact that they were kind of bourgeois-y was a deliberate choice that worked for me. The gimp is a really interesting metaphor, too, as a mute, faceless male figure.

The opening bit about a person being like a house that needs a good foundation....it struck me as prescient foreshadowing.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Hasn't the supreme already been given away as killer vagina girl? When she broke the zombie ritual the voodoo witch said "there's real power in that house now". Seems a dead giveaway.

This season is kind of strange because it lacks the "horror vibe". The only times it comes close is during the opening sequence flashbacks to nasty goings on. And the eerie opening title sequence. But the mood of the show is more black comedy/drama.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, what'shisface the show's creator has Tweeted it, too. I think it was a pic of Zoe with the caption "you don't mess with the Supreme." Unless he's being diversionary, but apparently he's done this before (spoiled his own shows). I don't think subtlety is in his palette.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, what'shisface the show's creator has Tweeted it, too. I think it was a pic of Zoe with the caption "you don't mess with the Supreme." Unless he's being diversionary, but apparently he's done this before (spoiled his own shows). I don't think subtlety is in his palette.

OH FIDDLEFUDGE!!!

How freaking predictable.