• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AV Club posted their review of the first episode. They brought up two points about the series and this season in particular that I found really interesting:

AV Club said:
That new story, however, gives a better sense of what Murphy and Falchuk value about horror, beyond mere shock scares and moments of sexual transgression. For starters, the show’s constant belief that horror is tied as much to place as any other factor returns. In the universe of this show, evil grows in tendrils from a central location, and once your life touches that location in some small way, it’s forever cursed.

AV Club said:
What’s fascinating about this isn’t just how remarkably streamlined it is for how much it has going on, but also how Murphy, Falchuk, and their writers seem to almost be—in their own earnestly clumsy way—attempting to tell the flipside of a series like Mad Men, which is firmly set from the point-of-view of the status quo, that viewers might watch the cataclysmic change of the ‘60s from people who were relatively unaffected by it (save maybe Peggy). Asylum, then, is largely about the status quo’s attempt to deal with threats to its dominance and certainty, be those threats people in homosexual relationships or people in interracial marriages or any number of other things. To be sure, this is all conveyed in just about the most obvious way possible—there’s none of Mad Men’s weird lyricism, and the show doesn’t want weird lyricism—but it already gives the season a firmer foundation than season one ever had. In a twisted way, this is a workplace drama, and like many other workplace dramas over the years, it’s going to tackle Important Social Issues, usually through speechifying and exposition.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Workplace drama" -- ha, that's a pretty fascinating perspective. I'm going to have to think more about that and see how deep it runs.

Interesting comments about "place." I'm not sure about that yet (I mean, I'm sure the show IS stating that... I'm just not sure how pervasive it is).

For me on an individual level, I think the only experience I've had with that is my parent's house. In a way, I'm glad I'm not permitted to visit there anymore; for me, personally, there are too many dark memories. I remember going back to visit after escaping into adulthood, and each time it would be a dark experience would me, as if the bad memories and oppressiveness were oozing out of the walls to cling to me. Even my ex would comment on it -- the house was generally disheveled and falling apart, and my parents would keep the lighting inside rather dim and the colors washed out. To use the word "haunted" sounds like a cliche, especially in the context of this thread, but it's how I would feel every time I'd go back as long as I was inside -- like I was isolated and alone in my own grief all over again, there was definitely no comfort in the familiarity... and I could almost hear my parents' incessant arguing through my childhood and feel my dad's presence stumbling around the halls in an unpredictable drunken stupor, like it was only yesterday.

The only part of the property I'd feel good about was the surrounding countryside; the yard of the house was also a bit spooky and overgrown, but the hillsides and fields nearby were where I'd go to escape my misery and the only place in my childhood where I felt free, with the sky stretching blue above me and the green hilly meadows and golden corn rows extending in every which direction.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did anyone watch the Asylum episode? Wtf?! It's getting crazier and crazier... with aliens, demons, and now both the doctor and head nun starting to lose their grip on sanity. The whole ending note with Chloe.... wow.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Yes, I'm watching. I thought I saw Shelley in this clip for the next episode with legs (around the 17 mark), but then I read this article. Oh wellz. :/

Of course the question of the season is WHO IS BLOODY FACE? I have no idea, but I am looking forward to finding out!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I'm watching. I thought I saw Shelley in this clip for the next episode with legs (around the 17 mark), but then I read this article. Oh wellz. :/

Ha ha... it only gets better and better worse and worse.

Well, it seems that haven't really backed off at all. I'm still caught off-guard by some of the crazy stuff, and James Cromwell and Jessica Lange are chewing up the scenery. (And even Lily Rabe has her moments in the sun now.)

And I thought Adam Levine was supposed to last longer, from interviews. I wonder if there's more to that story than what seems to be happening.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
loving franka potente as anne frank. i hope cromwell's character doesn't kill her, but knowing this show, they may need to make him even more hate worthy by killing off everyone's favorite hidden jew. what a dick.

E

Epiphany

Why isn't season 2 being shown on the website? I've missed every episode since the first one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why isn't season 2 being shown on the website? I've missed every episode since the first one.

I don't think they showed first season last year on their web site. (Can someone confirm?) I think I had to go elsewhere to find the show.

I'm watching it here this year:
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/

An ad or box will pop up overtop the video frame, but look for the X to close it or click elsewhere on the screen. I have always been able to get around it to avoid downloading anything.

E

Epiphany

So far...I like this season better than the first one. It's more horror and less soap opera.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
the bloodyface reveal was fantastic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a few episodes behind (I'll try to catch up this weekend).

I'd be slightly irked because I was looking at a "Top 5 TV Serial Killers of all time" list, and #4 was Bloody Face, without saying who it was, but then they spilled the beans on the next page, because #5 is related to #4.

The thing is, all they said about Bloody Face was that the killer is one of the more unlikely cast members, and I immediately guessed (correctly) who it would be. Kind of amusing. :) So it wasn't much of a spoiler.

Kind of scared to see what happened to Savigny tho. Uggh.

While some critics have been saying this season is more coherent from a narrative POV, which is probably true, I haven't enjoyed it as much as first season. I think the problem with first season is what I liked about it: It was all over the place, but you never ever knew what to expect from week to week or what might get introduced, or who would live or die -- and from moment to moment. It was just the Haunted House from Hell, with the Creepy Religious Psycho Chick living next door. It got my adrenaline pumping, and every scene was consistently on edge.

loving franka potente as anne frank.

That was rather cool, because at first I thought, "She looks familiar," and then one of the camera angles, I'm like, "Hey, that's Lola! And the girl in Bourne!"

i hope cromwell's character doesn't kill her, but knowing this show, they may need to make him even more hate worthy by killing off everyone's favorite hidden jew. what a dick.

He's quite a prick in this role, a far cry from the farmer in Babe. And not just in his lack of humanity, but ... just the whiny protestations against impotence he makes... What a creep.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While some critics have been saying this season is more coherent from a narrative POV, which is probably true, I haven't enjoyed it as much as first season. I think the problem with first season is what I liked about it: It was all over the place, but you never ever knew what to expect from week to week or what might get introduced, or who would live or die -- and from moment to moment. It was just the Haunted House from Hell, with the Creepy Religious Psycho Chick living next door. It got my adrenaline pumping, and every scene was consistently on edge.

It's definitely lost that qualtiy of erratic with moments of sheer brilliance that characterised Season 1. But still, I think that what's so effective about this season is that (if you exclude some of the more fantastical elements) the horror is grounded in something plausible.

I got into a conversation not too long ago about why The Ring is such a classic, and what it boiled down to is that the suspension of belief the film necessated was pretty limited. The same could be said of this season of AHS. Ex-Nazi Scientist continuing his work in a 1960s insane asylum? Plausible. Nutjob with medical background skinning women alive cause of deep seated abandonment issues? Also plausible. Woman getting committed against her will to an insane asylum in 1960s for being a found out as a lesbian? Not just plausible, but most likely factual.

So this season is perhaps not as terrifying as Season 1, but it's still deeply disturbing and fine horror.

E

Epiphany

I'm a few episodes behind (I'll try to catch up this weekend).

I'd be slightly irked because I was looking at a "Top 5 TV Serial Killers of all time" list, and #4 was Bloody Face, without saying who it was, but then they spilled the beans on the next page, because #5 is related to #4.

The thing is, all they said about Bloody Face was that the killer is one of the more unlikely cast members, and I immediately guessed (correctly) who it would be. Kind of amusing. :) So it wasn't much of a spoiler.

Kind of scared to see what happened to Savigny tho. Uggh.

That was rather cool, because at first I thought, "She looks familiar," and then one of the camera angles, I'm like, "Hey, that's Lola! And the girl in Bourne!"

He's quite a prick in this role, a far cry from the farmer in Babe. And not just in his lack of humanity, but ... just the whiny protestations against impotence he makes... What a creep.

I think this season is creepier than the first one. I enjoyed watching season 1, but as I watched a repeat a few weeks ago, I realized that I wouldn't want to watch the whole season again. So far, I think I would probably watch season 2 again in the future, although last week's episode was my least favorite and it seems like certain elements of the show are becoming too reduntant. I like the nazi backstory and how everyone has their own skeletons in the closet. The bloody face revelation was unexpected and more suspenseful than most movies that deal with the same theme. Overall, I like Asylum better than the Murder House. I hope the remainder of the season doesn't disappoint.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's definitely lost that qualtiy of erratic with moments of sheer brilliance that characterised Season 1. But still, I think that what's so effective about this season is that (if you exclude some of the more fantastical elements) the horror is grounded in something plausible.

Yes, I think it's a different approach. Both were good. This one might appeal to more people.

I got into a conversation not too long ago about why The Ring is such a classic, and what it boiled down to is that the suspension of belief the film necessated was pretty limited. The same could be said of this season of AHS. Ex-Nazi Scientist continuing his work in a 1960s insane asylum? Plausible. Nutjob with medical background skinning women alive cause of deep seated abandonment issues? Also plausible. Woman getting committed against her will to an insane asylum in 1960s for being a found out as a lesbian? Not just plausible, but most likely factual.

So this season is perhaps not as terrifying as Season 1, but it's still deeply disturbing and fine horror.

Yes, it's more "grounded" in other words. Season 1 was Pe explosions everywhere without necessarily rhyme or reason; this is a more intricate and rational network of ideas woven into the asylum "am I crazy?" theme.

I can appreciate both, I just seemed to get more of my "instant sugar injection" craziness from Season 1. So many wtf moments there... :)

Lange, I've heard, has already been hired on for Season 3; I don't have any idea what the theme of the season would be though.

[It would be kind of funny to see the Glee kids all get butchered, though.]

I think this season is creepier than the first one. I enjoyed watching season 1, but as I watched a repeat a few weeks ago, I realized that I wouldn't want to watch the whole season again.

Yeah. I think it's more preference, because I'd watch Season #1 again but am behind this season because I'm not quite as motivated to sit and watch the episodes. I'm excited that NetFlix picked up this and The Walking Dead.

So far, I think I would probably watch season 2 again in the future, although last week's episode was my least favorite and it seems like certain elements of the show are becoming too reduntant. I like the nazi backstory and how everyone has their own skeletons in the closet. The bloody face revelation was unexpected and more suspenseful than most movies that deal with the same theme. Overall, I like Asylum better than the Murder House. I hope the remainder of the season doesn't disappoint.

Maybe I'll blitz through the last few this weekend.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I just watched Episode #5 last night, which unveils the identity of Bloody Face. (NOW I see the connection between Nazis and Bloody Face -- considering what those lampshades were made out of. Horrific!)

And now poor Chloe Sovigny is marauding about the school grounds, terrorizing little girls. Oh, the inhumanity.

And Sister Jude is trolling for hookups again.

Who knows where the madness will end?

I still crack up over the venom dripping from James Cromwell's voice; I've never seen him play such a twisted old f*ck ever, and it keeps interplaying badly with "Babe" in my head. The stuff that comes out of his mouth...! It's like watching Mr. Rodgers playing Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs musical, where his comfortable slippers would be made from human organs.

So it looks like Evan Peters is getting screwed over two seasons in a row. He's been badly used.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finished episode 7 now.

Nice to see Frances Conroy back. Also a bunch of cameos by people I've seen in other shows. Two Lost'ies are in this (Mapother,the guy who played Ethan; and then the cop for the asylum played the bounty hunter). And the Jewish guy actually played a mafia guy in Person of Interest last season.

Episode 6 btw was an origin story. And/or stories.

Special bonus for mentioning Harlow's terrycloth monkey experiment. That one always creeped me out.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
So it looks like Evan Peters is getting screwed over two seasons in a row. He's been badly used.

I thought he was really well used during the first season, but yeah his role has been pretty weak in season 2. Hopefully with the final episodes his character is put to good use. And that freakin alien subplot better produce some results!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought he was really well used during the first season, but yeah his role has been pretty weak in season 2. Hopefully with the final episodes his character is put to good use. And that freakin alien subplot better produce some results!

I know, I'd really like to see that go somewhere, but at this point it's leaning toward it not being real. Still, you never know with these guys.

Last season was just crazy, insane, murderous ghosts + a monster in the basement.

This season it's (1) serial killer, (2) alien abductions, (3) demonic possession, (4) nazi war criminals, and (5) mutated human monsters. lol.

That's a lot to pack into a season. I wonder what they have in store for season 3.

I have to watch the 12/12 episode yet and I'm caught up. I appreciate how much time Lily Rabe is getting this season, she's doing pretty well with it.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
I know, I'd really like to see that go somewhere, but at this point it's leaning toward it not being real. Still, you never know with these guys.

Last season was just crazy, insane, murderous ghosts + a monster in the basement.

This season it's (1) serial killer, (2) alien abductions, (3) demonic possession, (4) nazi war criminals, and (5) mutated human monsters. lol.

That's a lot to pack into a season. I wonder what they have in store for season 3.

I have to watch the 12/12 episode yet and I'm caught up. I appreciate how much time Lily Rabe is getting this season, she's doing pretty well with it.

Yeah Lily Rabe is quite the champ this season. She deserves some kind of reward for that whole creepy penis touching scene in Thredson's office to cure her lesbianism.

I don't even know if they will have any plots left for a season 3. What could they possibly come up with? Swamp monsters? Space vampires? Toddler pageant zombies? Cuba Gooding JR?