• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was an amazing episode! Lots of excitement, and lots of stuff sort of resolved, too, but there's still so much more to explore. Violet's character really redeemed herself in this episode. Surely we won't be seeing the last of Tate, though? Also, if she can tell Tate to go away, can she just tell any other ghost to go away? She couldn't banish Zachary Quinto.

I can't imagine they'd just get rid of Tate, he's a great character.

Remember a few episodes back, when Tate tells Violet that if she tells him to go, he will? He doesn't want to be there intruding into her life if she doesn't want him. I'm not sure what the "rule" is exactly; it's possible that the ghosts that go away choose to do so, some of the horrific interactions that occur seem incidental rather than planned by some of the ghosts.

I also really liked Nora comforting Tate as a little boy, and him feeling the need to repay her kindness. Really like the actress who plays Nora. She's just right on the edge of looney-tunes.

That was such a nice tie-in.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
That was an amazing episode! Lots of excitement, and lots of stuff sort of resolved, too, but there's still so much more to explore. Violet's character really redeemed herself in this episode. Surely we won't be seeing the last of Tate, though? Also, if she can tell Tate to go away, can she just tell any other ghost to go away? She couldn't banish Zachary Quinto.
Well, I'm gutted after last nights episode. It was good, but I hate that Violet and Vivien are dead.
Why wasn't the baby hideous?
Hmm... we haven't seen it yet. lol

I also really liked Nora comforting Tate as a little boy, and him feeling the need to repay her kindness. Really like the actress who plays Nora. She's just right on the edge of looney-tunes.
That was a good scene, but the infantata thing is kind of silly. Where did Charles find those teeth?

Jessica Lange is a goddess.
She is perfectly cast as Constance and I hope isn't overlooked when the Emmys roll around.

My questions this week are, what will Ben do with the bodies? Where were the flies and why was the electricity off when Ben and Vivian entered the house?

Here is Ryan Murphy's weekly interview shedding light on "Birth". According to him, we're going to be very shocked by the final scene in the finale.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
During the birthing sequence, there are shots of Ben in the corner being terrified. What were those supposed to represent?
Yes. That was never in the script. That was something we cooked up when we shot that. We really wanted to show in that moment if you were a man who walked in and there suddenly is a 1920s gynecologist and somebody like Jessica Lange telling you that the house is helping you, I think he has to present to his wife a sense of confidence but I think those—we call them subliminal flashbacks—really show you what’s going on inside his head.

Yeah, okay, i grasped that one correctly then -- I thought it was a representation of how crazy he was feeling at the time, rather than literal.

I liked how they kept jumping back and forth between the current birth and Violet's birth (which of course then led up to that final scene between her and her mom too). Happy old times, current painful times, all part of the tapestry/continuum.

So when Violet shut her eyes and said “Go Away” to Tate, does that mean he’s been banished from the house? Will he be back in the finale?
No he does come back in the finale and their relationship is played out in the finale. But for the most part that was the conclusion of the relationship.

:( Moah Tate!!!

I just watched Kick-Ass this week again, it was funny watching him in that movie since before he was kind of the third-wheel in the trio of friends and not that memorable... although he does have the greatest line, referring to Hit Girl:

Todd: Yeah! I think I'm in love with her, dude.
Marty: She looks like she's about 11 years old but...
Todd: I can wait! I solemnly vow to save myself for her.

What is it with him and younger girls? :rofl1:

One week until the finale... but it's only the beginning. Who knows where it all is going?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I wonder if Ben is delusional and imagining most of this? I watched 4 earlier episodes again today and it seems that he was blacking out and not remembering things such as wandering in the kitchen and nearly burning his hand before Constance sent him back to the bedroom telling him, "It's not your time yet". Also, digging up the yard that wound up unearthing Miora's body and dumping Hayden in it. ALSO, I've noticed that when "living" people see the ghosts, they usually just disappear *poof* , like when Vivian died, Ben was left on his own and when Constance was talking to Chad, he vanished. Something just isn't right.

Ryan Murphy says things will be MUCH clearer after the finale and if it isn't, he'll be happy to explain. IS IT WEDNESDAY YET?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was very surprised to learn that Connie Britton (Vivien) is 6 years younger than Dylan McDermott (Ben). Anyone else find her selection odd given that she appears so much older than her husband? Perhaps that relates to the story somehow? Or it could just be talent-based casting and the hope that they could make her appear younger with the long hair and chic wardrobe.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was very surprised to learn that Connie Britton (Vivien) is 6 years younger than Dylan McDermott (Ben). Anyone else find her selection odd given that she appears so much older than her husband? Perhaps that relates to the story somehow? Or it could just be talent-based casting and the hope that they could make her appear younger with the long hair and chic wardrobe.

I didn't even think twice about that, although she does look older than her age and Dylan has always looked younger. But people marry all the time of different ages, so I'm not sure why it matters. It just is. Maybe it made his affair more believable, since she looks older and he looks younger and thus the coed affair seems more likely?

I assume they picked her because she was the right price, she had the right type of exposure (being regular on another show at the time), she could play the character the way they wanted, and I think both of them wanted to break out of their typecasting. But Connie is just there to me; I don't get a lot of resonance from her, personally. (Not like I connect with Violet or Hayden or Ben or Tate, etc.)

I still think the unexpected gem of the season was Tate... it's really hard for a character like that to still be liked and sympathetic to the audience, and somehow (I think because of his earnestness in the role) he seems to have pulled that off.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't even think twice about that, although she does look older than her age and Dylan has always looked younger. But people marry all the time of different ages, so I'm not sure why it matters. It just is.

LOL It matters as much as it matters to discuss a television series on a typology forum. I thought everything was fair game.

Following your edit, I think that could be a possibility. Dunno.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well of course you can discuss it, i never said that you couldn't. Just like we can discuss why she has red hair and he has black. Is there a reason for it? I dunno.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm. Connie Britton has a different look, but I don't necessarily think she looks older than her age or older than Dylan McDermott. I think we're just used to seeing actresses who are over 40 all looking the same via cosmetic procedures and plumpers, and we're used to seeing actors who are in their 50s being paired with 30 year olds. McDermott does look a little younger than 50, but he has the rugged look, so it wouldn't matter if he did look his age.

I don't know about the "being the right price" thing--she has a huge following from Friday Night Lights. I like her in this, though I think none of the Harmon family is particularly meant to be likable. I like her moments of "are you kidding me right now?" She has a different presence than a lot of the cookie cutter actresses her age. She has more of a realness about her.

Speaking of looking older than one's age, though, Frances Conroy looks about 70 in this, and she's in her fifties. It works for the character, and I love her, but dark red hair color is not your friend after 50!

Edited to add: I had no idea Frances Conroy's eye looks like that IRL now! How interesting they used it as part of the character! I can't find any info about how it got that way, though.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think we're just used to seeing actresses who are over 40 all looking the same via cosmetic procedures and plumpers, and we're used to seeing actors who are in their 50s being paired with 30 year olds. McDermott does look a little younger than 50, but he has the rugged look, so it wouldn't matter if he did look his age.

I agree, which is why I found their choice odd. It isn't standard for Hollywood, so I thought there might've been a reason for deviating from the long-standing formula. Interesting about Conroy's eye, too. Just a cataract perhaps? I agree that it's cool they made it part of the story.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
So no prediction as to what will happen next week??

Connie Britton is great as Vivian and I think they're well matched as a married couple, despite the fact that Ben's a tool.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Here are some stills from next week's "Afterbirth". Vivian is holding a baby and Constance is with a blond child. Not sure if it's Tate as a child or Viv's baby. Also, that doesn't look like Tate's body in the rubber man suite which makes me suspect that someone else is playing dress up.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That is definitely not Tate's body. Could it be Hugo, maybe? We haven't seen him in the house yet.

Maybe the blonde is Constance's 4th child? I want to know about the 4th kid!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Clip from this week's finale.

I hope Ben gets out with the baby, but I can't see that happening.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. Connie Britton has a different look, but I don't necessarily think she looks older than her age or older than Dylan McDermott. I think we're just used to seeing actresses who are over 40 all looking the same via cosmetic procedures and plumpers, and we're used to seeing actors who are in their 50s being paired with 30 year olds. McDermott does look a little younger than 50, but he has the rugged look, so it wouldn't matter if he did look his age.

I honestly think that McD looks like he's in his 30's, he's one of those "timeless" guys. I had no idea he just recently turned 50. Whereas Britton does look older to me, I would have guessed her in her mid/late 40's (which seems to be about right -- according to imdb, she's going to be 45 soon).

I don't know about the "being the right price" thing--she has a huge following from Friday Night Lights. I like her in this, though I think none of the Harmon family is particularly meant to be likable. I like her moments of "are you kidding me right now?" She has a different presence than a lot of the cookie cutter actresses her age. She has more of a realness about her.

I never saw FNL nor saw her act before, so this is the only character I have known her as.

I do agree that, while she doesn't resonate much with me on a personal basis (not like Jennifer Connolly or someone similar), she definitely seems natural, un-airbrushed, and real. She's pretty WSYIWYG. I can respect that.

Edited to add: I had no idea Frances Conroy's eye looks like that IRL now! How interesting they used it as part of the character! I can't find any info about how it got that way, though.

Oh wow... I had no idea either. That's kind of cool they worked it in.

Here are some stills from next week's "Afterbirth". Vivian is holding a baby and Constance is with a blond child. Not sure if it's Tate as a child or Viv's baby. Also, that doesn't look like Tate's body in the rubber man suite which makes me suspect that someone else is playing dress up.

Damn that suit! Dammit to all hades!

We have no way of telling who's got the suit on, do we?? Arg.

I hope Ben gets out with the baby, but I can't see that happening.

Well, the answer seems likely that Ben will either die in the house and truly become part of the ongoing "American Horror Story" -- a story about a ghost family living in the house, and dealing with some new tenants -- or else Ben will stay, raise baby, and his dead wife and daughter will live in the house too. On an off-chance, maybe Ben will escape the house or die elsewhere and leave the show, if McDermott needs to move on with a movie shoot or something, but that's a long-shot.

Apparently since the living and dead can have sex, he and Viv can still be together, if she wants to be. It looks like both Vivien and Violet are "self-aware" ghosts, compared to many of the ghosts in the house that seem deranged, confused, angry, or lost. They're essentially who they were when alive, and sane; they're just dead.

However, both Hayden and Vivien are both ghosts now. Wth is going to happen with that little personality conflict?

E

Epiphany

I hate that the AHS website makes you wait an entire week before you can watch an episode. The latest episode will air on television before the previous one is available on the website. So, if you miss a single show, you either have to watch them out of order or watch the rest of the season online.

*throws a Tate tantrum*

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate that the AHS website makes you wait an entire week before you can watch an episode. The latest episode will air on television before the previous one is available on the website. So, if you miss a single show, you either have to watch them out of order or watch the rest of the season online.

*throws a Tate tantrum*

Well, you can stream it live from other sites. I didn't watch the show at all, and then this past week I decided to watch the entire season. I watched all of the episodes not available at the FX website here: http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/American-Horror-Story_27154/season_1/episode_2

Quick Play Episode > (Here you can choose a link-source from a list below) Click to Play Video in New Window > (after here varies by site you choose, so look carefully for the real link hidden among the pop-ups, or for the human verification button)

I cannot vouch for its anti-viral status, but I can say that I didn't "catch" anything from any of the episode links. I use Norton360, but no alerts appeared.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So Constance's grandson is going to be like a Hellspawn Jack? Or was there a fast forward in time between the Ramos family fleeing and Constance hiring an ill-fated nanny?

Edit: Ohhh, I see. It was a 3 year flash forward. I didn't catch that on the screen. (The hazard of watching tv with four silly dogs in the room.)

Last edited: