• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Only 4 more episodes! Last night was pretty good. Loved how they solved the Black Dahlia case!

Here is next week. I think Violet's in the walls! [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0BowFYpPA"]Smoldering Children[/YOUTUBE]

Here is Ryan Murphy's interview regarding last nights episode, "Spooky Little Girl".

Inside TV: Many readers seem to think that Violet might be dead. What’s your response? Can you confirm? Deny?
Ryan Murphy: "My response to that is we are aware, I’m aware of that. But I was aware with the whole arc that was something people were going to think so we answer and put that to bed next week. Next week’s episode, called “Smoldering Children,” answers that question. It’s interesting. But I kinda knew that would happen. I really appreciate and love people’s attention. So many times people are right and I don’t wanna say. Listen, my entire Thanksgiving was dedicated to the “Is Violet dead or alive?” question by people I don’t even know. But I love that. That’s the deliciousness of the show: the mystery of every week."

So does this mean Violet is dead?? If there are flies around then I'm guessing yes. The gay couple died at least a year earlier.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I really love this show, too. I love how they're using Hayden, and how she interacts with the other ghosts, helping them understand themselves, and figuring out exactly how she is equipped to handle the ghost world. She's adding tools to her belt. Hmm, I can have sex with living dudes. Hmmm, I can kill people. I very much worry about Ben, though. When she did that "Can I have a hug?" thing with him, I kind of expected her to pull something like she eventually did with Travis.

Thought the Black Dahlia thing was interesting--especially how they made Travis a modern Black Dahlia. Can you imagine how terrifying a copycat crime 60 years apart would be in real life? Cool how they both wanted, and got, fame. I feel bad for the memory of the real Elizabeth Short, though.

Loved that Ben finally saw Moira for who she is. I feel like she's been testing him this whole time, like if she just pushed hard enough, he'd reveal who he truly is, morally. Maybe this will restore some of her faith in men, as well.

Edited to add this awesome video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5HvOyPjmSU&feature=youtu.be

I tried to embed it but it wouldn't let me, and I'm too lazy to spend more than 30 seconds on figuring it out.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I really love this show, too. I love how they're using Hayden, and how she interacts with the other ghosts, helping them understand themselves, and figuring out exactly how she is equipped to handle the ghost world. She's adding tools to her belt. Hmm, I can have sex with living dudes. Hmmm, I can kill people. I very much worry about Ben, though. When she did that "Can I have a hug?" thing with him, I kind of expected her to pull something like she eventually did with Travis.
I like where they're taking Hayden but if she and Miora were split up in to teams, I'd be team Miora all the way!
Thought the Black Dahlia thing was interesting--especially how they made Travis a modern Black Dahlia. Can you imagine how terrifying a copycat crime 60 years apart would be in real life? Cool how they both wanted, and got, fame. I feel bad for the memory of the real Elizabeth Short, though.
I loved where they went with this. I love old Hollywood AND unsolved mysteries, so this was perfect! Right on line with the shows earlier Sal Mineo storyline. Classic!!

Here is a good article and timeline of Elizabeth Short aka, "The Black Dahlia". The pics towards the end don't show any signs of her teeth looking bad, but they coroners report stated that teeth were very badly decayed and plugged with wax. Weird.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Tonight's episode was really sad to watch. I won't give anything away tonight in case you all haven't seen it yet, but it was an eye opening episode.

I always love the beginning of the show where they show the year and what happened at the house at that time. Shame there is only two more episodes left but honestly after tonight I think that might be all I can take for a while.

Next week looks crazy. I just hope the writers don't get jaded and start coming up with really stupid shit. The whole anti Christ/Rosemary's Baby thing is already looking ridiculous. Why would the devil give two shits about Vivien having his baby? lol

On a more positive note, Tate is hawt.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Loved this week's episode! I love this show more and more. I'll have to come back when my head's not so stuffed up and give some thoughts.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
That's it? lol I've been waiting to hear what your thoughts are! Hope you're feeling better soon.

PS: I'm still sad about what happened to Violet. :cry:
Loved this week's episode! I love this show more and more. I'll have to come back when my head's not so stuffed up and give some thoughts.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That's it? lol I've been waiting to hear what your thoughts are! Hope you're feeling better soon.

PS: I'm still sad about what happened to Violet. :cry:

I know! :-D I'm sorry. I have been battling a sinus infection all week and I can breathe better today, but my head feels like it's composed of cotton candy and spiderwebs.

I thought the scenes where Violet discovers her fate were fantastic! Completely freaky and heartbreaking. I like that she played along with Tate, then broke free, trying to escape, then had to go back to him for comfort. And I loved Taissa Farmiga's reaction to seeing her own body. It felt really real to me. I'm glad that Violet is dead as a plot point, though, because it's the only thing that make sense, as far as getting Ben and Vivien to stay in the house longterm. Now I'm wondering if it's possible that all of the Harmons will die in the house. Ryan Murphy sometimes talks about having a different family in the house next season, and if the Harmons died, they could still have Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott while also having new protagonists. Just speculation, though.

Did you notice Moira's picture in the police file? She looked like a normal, contemporary girl, like she would when she died in 1983. I wonder why we only ever see her looking like she came from the 1930s?

I'm glad Ben has decided he believes Vivien--and stuff is really going to hit the fan when Ben inevitably lets Violet know that Tate is the Rubber Man that raped her mom! AND THE BIRTH IS NEXT WEEK! This show is awesome.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only thing good about missing so many episodes is that, since I TiVo'd them, I can watch them all back to back.

Piggy, Piggy: One of my favorite episodes, aside from religious chick shouting the typical brand of Biblical crazy inside the church. The library discussion between the disabled teacher and Violet was good. Highlight for me was the scene with Tate telling Violet how much he loved her, since he still doesn't remember what happened but she's conflicted over it because she can't figure out why he did it or "who he is" in terms of his moral character... yet it's so obviously clear that he loves her and will never let anything hurt her, and she can't help but respond to that authenticity. This is the typical complexity of people or relationships, where they cannot easily be pigeonholed; it's giving her a taste of the relationship between her parents as well, who have a very complicated relationship and yet it's clear on a basic level that both of them still love each other. (Very strong scene in the opening too, where Vivien lays out the groundrules for Ben in terms of their future relationship and what he can reasonably expect; very honest and complex.)

Open House: Constance shines, the scene between her and the Armenian guy was very definitive for both characters. (Lots of SFJ leanings in Constance being expressed there too.) Things also play out as expected between her and Moira, in terms of their alliance; I like how much they hate each other (for the known reasons), yet still obviously can come together if a mutual asset is threatened. Looks like the house won't be sold after all; I was glad Constance told Burn Victim guy to drag Armenian Guy off the premises before he expires, so he won't be added to the current motley crew inhabiting the place. We also see Violet starting to come to terms with her weird role in the house, as well as Tate's affection for Ben, Ben's love for his daughter despite him being a fuckup in some ways, and Tate's disgust for Constance. (Who exactly is Tate's dad again? Did I forget, or don't we know yet?)

Okay, I just watched the opening to the next episode, where Rubber Man is revealed. Gawd.

... I'm going to wait to read the rest of the thread until I catch up, since I know spoilers abound.

I do really like this show in the sense that I never know what is going to happen next; most TV shows are pretty predictable to me, but this one's a wild ride.

Rubber Man: Finally we're seeing where the show can go -- the interplay among the various ghosts, especially the scenes involving Hayden who is quite the pragmatic schemer. Since the ghosts do not share the same level of comprehension of their fate, it sets up some really interesting scenes. Also, both Hayden and Nora both want babies... which intersects nicely with Vivien being pregnant with twins. It was painful to watch Vivien being committed, since we know she's not crazy but everyone + events are conspiring against her and she has no way to successfully vindicate herself.

Spooky Little Girl: Black Dahlia makes the scene, along with another ghost being added to the growing fold. (Some people will do anything to be famous.) Tate is such the man-boy, as we see him here with his mom; I think he hates her because he still loves her and she emasculates him. There's also a constant undercurrent with female repression by males, as started last episode (?) with the "hysteria" discussion involving Moira and Vivien, and it shows up here as well, with women using their bodies in order to get what they want from men and yet that approach is also a trap and yet another form of restriction. Hayden resorts to violence when sex fails to work for her; and when Ben finally realizes his wife was raped, he sees Moira as she is rather than as how he wants her to be, and she states that he's finally beginning to see things as they really are. Is there redemption for Ben here, after at one point -- thinking Vivien had an affair -- he basically vows to let her rot in asylum hell forever? (I have to say, Ben is yet another man-boy; very noble in some ways, completely corrupt in others, and very self-absorbed and using his intelligence/credentials as a form of emotional protection, since instead of engaging life he can just analyze it away. Luke finally rattles him by showing him how he is really treating his wife, someone he claims to love... maybe giving Ben a chance to grow up.)

My feelings about Tate flip-flop around, considering he's yet another mixed bag -- in some ways, earnest and with seeds of potential, but then capable of horrific hurt against others. He seems a bit more altruistic than Hayden, but sometimes he just does some horrific things. And yup, he and Violet "do it" ... as Hayden validates, that apparently ghosts can have sex with humans. (Of course Tate AKA Rubber Man impregnates Viven, creating the "antichrist" baby... ha ha, rly srsly? Tate is daddy of the spawn of Satan? I dunno about that.)

EDIT: I still think Luke is pretty hot. Then again, I also had a fixation on Keith on "Six Feet Under." Luke looks like his younger brother. It's not just how he looks. He's strong but sweet and sensitive, and he has his head on straight.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was an excellent episode! I'm so mad at Violet right now. She totally sold her mom out.

Yeah. That sucked. The only reason I can forgive her is because she's 14, and I'm dealing with my kids doing some shitty things right now too... so it conveys to me that kids in those years are capable of being very good and very bad. It's like they're grasping some adult autonomy and trying to manage their own lives, yet they're still selfish enough to focus on their own needs and sell others out. At least Violet seemed to feel like shit, after.

Loved the interaction between the ghosts-that was pretty fascinating. Hayden was pretty compelling as a resentful ghost, and it was heartbreaking to see Nora so transfixed on having her baby back, but being completely unaware of why she was in her house and everything had changed. This ep answered a lot of questions for me. Tate is such a mystery. So bad and so sweet. I want to know if the others are resentful of Tate--the ones that were killed by him--or if he just shushes them into submission, or if they even remember how they died.

Yup. Tate is unfathomable right now. I think watching him being capable of such violence (and claiming to need to "work himself into that state" before being able to do it), yet curl up away from his mother's blows who he obviously has such great anger for rather than killing her too reveals that he's still a kid himself. He's such a little boy in that scene, just wanting approval and not finding it.

I like Moira more and more and Ben less and less.

Moira is very cool, if a bit addled in regards to what is "normal" sometimes (like eating raw brains and pancreas for the good of the baby); still, I think she provides a good anchor for the craziness of the other ghosts. She seems to be one of the least selfish characters on the show (although she wants her freedom); and it seems more and more the "slutty" Moira is simply what other men are projecting on her, where actually she is more honorable.

More proof that Violet might be dead--she hasn't been to school in two weeks AND they never actually left the grounds.

Interesting. I shouldn't read more, then, until I watch the last episode ("there's something in the walls!!") I have recorded. I don't want to accidentally spoil the fun for myself. :)

So basically Tate is trying to appease Nora by giving her the baby she lost?
Yeah. I had that question too for Ryan. Basically the answer I got was he’s there to help. He sees that Nora’s soul is disturbed and is very sad. He has this sort of sweet spot for people like that. It resonates with him, so he wants to help them out and make sure they’re okay and peaceful. And since she’s dead and can’t leave the house, might as well give her what she wants so that hopefully she can be a little happier, instead of walking around crying all the time and wondering what was going on.

That's one of the things about Tate that makes him so darn confounding. He's doing something out of sentiment for another person (err, ghost) who he feels bad for.... but what he does is so horrific. It's like he's totally locked into whoever he has sweet affection for, but everyone else is just an object; it's very selective in nature. So it sets him up to do both horrible and wonderful things, depending on who he is focusing on.

tigerlily said:
Same here. Miora is so sweet to Vivien and Ben is a shithead.

Ain't that the truth. I think the first role I ever saw Dylan McDermott in was "In the Line of Fire" when he plays the sweet partner who wants to quit but is convinced to stay and then ends up dying because he really should have quit. He barely looks aged at all from that movie (which was years ago), but this character is probably the most immature/selfish one I've seen him play. Which is probably daring for McDermott. It's hard to pull off a character to be sympathetic, when he has to also be played as an ass. (There's something of that with Snape, in Harry Potter, but that was more of a twist; the truth is that Ben is kind of an ass.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched Smoldering Children. Well, THAT throws a wrench in them moving out, right? Wow. Now what?

We also find out how Larry got burned, what pressures triggered Tate's rampage, and see Larry seek penance for his past indiscretion.

Constance is a pretty cold piece of work.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Just watched Smoldering Children. Well, THAT throws a wrench in them moving out, right? Wow. Now what?
Everyone dead and new owners next season.
We also find out how Larry got burned, what pressures triggered Tate's rampage, and see Larry seek penance for his past indiscretion.
I'm glad he's gone . Sick of his weird little hands. :laugh:
Constance is a pretty cold piece of work.
Jessica Lange plays her so well. I wonder why no one in the house has butchered her yet? She's pretty ballsy walking around when her Husband, Miora and Tate all have motives for killing her.

I was so emotional when Violet saw her body. I've watched Smoldering Children three times and each time felt her pain. Imagine being trapped in that house. Just terrible.

Have you explored the house yet? Check this out. Creepy!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad he's gone . Sick of his weird little hands. :laugh:

That's true. I mean, it's kinda creepy. He could really use a good dermatologist, btw.

Jessica Lange plays her so well. I wonder why no one in the house has butchered her yet? She's pretty ballsy walking around when her Husband, Miora and Tate all have motives for killing her.

And her dead boyfriend, now.

The thing is, she plays the character well enough that she's really intimidating. Tate loves his mom, even when she's beating him he just curls up in a ball, and the closest he can get to hurting her is killing her dream of him being the "one perfect child" out of the four and setting up his own "suicide by cop" in her house, to humiliate/reject her; Moira's character is such that she's just not a killer (where apparently Hayden is, ha ha); and I haven't really seen much of her husband. She's just so ballsy, though, no one wants to touch her; and she also interacts with the ghosts as if they exist so they lose some power over her; and I think they also would like to use her if possible to help themselves.

Even her dead boyfriend is too impotent to strike out at her; he still loves her, despite how she treated him like crap.

I was so emotional when Violet saw her body. I've watched Smoldering Children three times and each time felt her pain. Imagine being trapped in that house. Just terrible.

I went back to Piggy, Piggy to watch that original scene over again, then watched the scene in Smoldering Children too. It was just so well done. Again, Tate confounds me; the people he loves, he'll give anything for, but if you're someone he hates, you might as well be dead, and if he's neutral, then you can be victimized by him in his desire to take care of the people he loves. A lot of his obsessive nature still seems to be some of the "teenage" thing going, untempered by experience or age.

I think it was just horrific that she tried to off herself, then thought she didn't; and now when she actually wanted to live? Well.... sorry, hon, too late. If anything, though, she's probably the "sanest" inhabitant of that house; I just don't know if she can maintain sanity within that setting.

I also had wondered whether it was some trick of Tate's to keep her there with him forever, since he's so obsessive; but the whole thing with her being unable to leave the property suggests that it's truly what it seems to be.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Preview for tomorrow night's episode "Birth". Looks like they'll be finding out Violet's dead.[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPDjNnNP_w"]Poor Violet[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You think they'll believe in ghosts, then, finally?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
You think they'll believe in ghosts, then, finally?
I think Vivien is privy, especially after seeing Nora but yeah, if they see Violet's body AND Ben sees that she's not in the car, they'll have no choice.

A lot is going down tomorrow night. I'm not sure Vivian is going to survive, but we'll see!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
HERE is a clip from tonight's episode. Billie Dean explains what the house wants. Can't wait!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm really looking forward to seeing these last two season episodes.

It's nice to have a TV series that I'm actually excited to see the next installment. I currently am watching things like Suburgatory, New Girl, Terra Nova, Person of Interest, Once Upon a Time, and AHS, but I will easily say that AHS is the "must see" series for me this year.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I can't remember the last time I've been so into a show and that includes True Blood. I'll even buy the collectors dvd when it comes out.

Word on the street is that Tate isn't the Father, and that the daddy is Constances fourth child, who we haven't met yet. Never a dull moment!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that was a thrillride. If things keep going this way, I guess we'll know where Ben is going next episode. (Of course, it might even be more interesting if he doesn't.)

One of the best moments for me was the last minute, where Violet tells Tate to get lost (because although she loves him, he has done some very awful things and needs to pay for what he's done), he leaves, she breaks down, and then Vivien is there with her and tells her that she just did something very brave. Violet says, "I'm sorry you lost your baby," and her mom just touches her face and then hugs her and says, "I didn't lose my baby."

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That was an amazing episode! Lots of excitement, and lots of stuff sort of resolved, too, but there's still so much more to explore. Violet's character really redeemed herself in this episode. Surely we won't be seeing the last of Tate, though? Also, if she can tell Tate to go away, can she just tell any other ghost to go away? She couldn't banish Zachary Quinto.

Why wasn't the baby hideous?

I also really liked Nora comforting Tate as a little boy, and him feeling the need to repay her kindness. Really like the actress who plays Nora. She's just right on the edge of looney-tunes.

Jessica Lange is a goddess.