First 2331323334 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Finally finishing off Freak Show -- watched three episodes tonight, and I have two left.

Kind of a disappointing season, without much incentive to watch. Which is a shame. It was an intriguing theme, and the art direction was just really nice. But there just seemed to be no real focus and the storyline was all over the place. Also too many characters, I think. And the whole thing with Dandy kind of lost its way in the middle.

There were some good moments and inventive casting (like Jamie Brewer as Marjorie -- that whole sequence so far has been pretty darn creepy). The whole resolution of Dot and Bette's interest in splitting up was rather good. Elsa's secret past. The "Twisty the Clown" story. How Pepper got from the sideshow to the asylum (so sad). And so forth.

But some of it falls pretty flat, and it also just can come off as dark in a pointless and sick way versus being engrossing (like the whole deal with Jimmy Darling and his hands).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"But... but I'm a song and dance man, not an escape artist!"

Well, at least the last two episodes to cap the series were really good. With Asylum I thought the beginning and middle were better but then (aside from the end to the last episode) it kind of just disintegrated. With Freak Show, a lot of the middle seemed to be out of control and aimless; but it seemed to get better the closer it got to the end. And it had good closure. (EDIT: The critical response on RT seemed more mixed. I dunno. I liked how it seemed to come full-circle.)
    Last edited by Bellflower; 01-26-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

the catsylum is the best part
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington
    Likes Totenkindly, Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So is Mr.March an INTJ or ISTJ? I was obsessed with season 5, it's already one of the few television shows I watch regularly on demand, but I especially loved the last season. I thought Gaga was perfect as the cold dead Countess, and thought the slasher/ghost story mix of atmosphere was visually awesome, and I liked the 80s/90s goth/emo music. I know some people hated last season but it's probably my favorite, and the only one in which I appreciated Evan Peters as a man. So his character was some sort of TJ, right? Opinions please.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'll be honest, I only watched one episode of Season 5. The concept seemed interesting, but it didn't hold my interest long enough for me to get into + I needed to clear off my DVR. I'll try again if/when it releases to Netflix or someplace, if it hasn't already.

I'm currently in the middle of watching Season 6 Episode 1. ("My Roanoke Nightmare")

It looks like it's going back more to its roots -- spooky mystery + haunted house/property theme. Kind of interesting presentation -- it's almost set up like one of those ongoing mystery/crime documentary shows, with overdubs of the "actual" people commenting on the story being reenacted.

It's a slower burn as well, compared to the opener from last season. It's definitely got some creep factor, but the success will depend on how strong the "big concept" is... at the moment, it's not clear.

The house itself is pretty cool.

The principle actors in the opener so far seem to be Sarah Paulson, Cuba Gooding Jr., Angela Bassett, and Lily Rabe.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI None

My reaction to season 6: Sarah Paulson. Sarah Paulson having sex. Sarah Paulson in a hot tub. Sarah Paulson drinking. Sarah Paulson talking. Crazy Sarah Paulson. I like Sarah Paulson. I like season 6 episode 1.

^^my small minded reptilian gutter brain.
    Likes Totenkindly, Dyslexxie liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Did anyone keep up with this?

I just blitzed through Episodes 2-6 tonight (which makes me current, I think). Episodes 2-5 are pretty much as expected, just with some crazy over-the-top bloody nuttiness that would gross me out and leave me laughing simultaneously.

Then I hit Episode 6 and just died. I love this.

Anyway, the "documentary" style approach does remove some tension, but it's a bit different + allows for a different approach and makes sense later on. It reminds me more of Season 3 in that there's a kind of camp horror to everything versus the intense serious drama/horror of Seasons 4-5.

Looking forward to the next few episodes.

I'd advise avoiding spoilers. It won't ruin things, but it's more amusing the less you know.

There was one scene though where there were some new actors and I looked at one and thought HOLY FUCK IS THAT REALLY

and well, what do you know, but it was! That was great.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was "meh" on this season until episode 6. Now I can't wait for the next one.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :hi:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D