The horror continues...

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm a few episodes behind (I'll try to catch up this weekend).

I'd be slightly irked because I was looking at a "Top 5 TV Serial Killers of all time" list, and #4 was Bloody Face, without saying who it was, but then they spilled the beans on the next page, because #5 is related to #4.

The thing is, all they said about Bloody Face was that the killer is one of the more unlikely cast members, and I immediately guessed (correctly) who it would be. Kind of amusing. So it wasn't much of a spoiler.

Kind of scared to see what happened to Savigny tho. Uggh.

While some critics have been saying this season is more coherent from a narrative POV, which is probably true, I haven't enjoyed it as much as first season. I think the problem with first season is what I liked about it: It was all over the place, but you never ever knew what to expect from week to week or what might get introduced, or who would live or die -- and from moment to moment. It was just the Haunted House from Hell, with the Creepy Religious Psycho Chick living next door. It got my adrenaline pumping, and every scene was consistently on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    loving franka potente as anne frank.
    That was rather cool, because at first I thought, "She looks familiar," and then one of the camera angles, I'm like, "Hey, that's Lola! And the girl in Bourne!"

i hope cromwell's character doesn't kill her, but knowing this show, they may need to make him even more hate worthy by killing off everyone's favorite hidden jew. what a dick.
    He's quite a prick in this role, a far cry from the farmer in Babe. And not just in his lack of humanity, but ... just the whiny protestations against impotence he makes... What a creep.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    While some critics have been saying this season is more coherent from a narrative POV, which is probably true, I haven't enjoyed it as much as first season. I think the problem with first season is what I liked about it: It was all over the place, but you never ever knew what to expect from week to week or what might get introduced, or who would live or die -- and from moment to moment. It was just the Haunted House from Hell, with the Creepy Religious Psycho Chick living next door. It got my adrenaline pumping, and every scene was consistently on edge.
    It's definitely lost that qualtiy of erratic with moments of sheer brilliance that characterised Season 1. But still, I think that what's so effective about this season is that (if you exclude some of the more fantastical elements) the horror is grounded in something plausible.

I got into a conversation not too long ago about why The Ring is such a classic, and what it boiled down to is that the suspension of belief the film necessated was pretty limited. The same could be said of this season of AHS. Ex-Nazi Scientist continuing his work in a 1960s insane asylum? Plausible. Nutjob with medical background skinning women alive cause of deep seated abandonment issues? Also plausible. Woman getting committed against her will to an insane asylum in 1960s for being a found out as a lesbian? Not just plausible, but most likely factual.

So this season is perhaps not as terrifying as Season 1, but it's still deeply disturbing and fine horror.
    Little does he know I have a machete in my Chanel bag

Epiphany

I'm a few episodes behind (I'll try to catch up this weekend).

I'd be slightly irked because I was looking at a "Top 5 TV Serial Killers of all time" list, and #4 was Bloody Face, without saying who it was, but then they spilled the beans on the next page, because #5 is related to #4.

The thing is, all they said about Bloody Face was that the killer is one of the more unlikely cast members, and I immediately guessed (correctly) who it would be. Kind of amusing. So it wasn't much of a spoiler.

Kind of scared to see what happened to Savigny tho. Uggh.

That was rather cool, because at first I thought, "She looks familiar," and then one of the camera angles, I'm like, "Hey, that's Lola! And the girl in Bourne!"

He's quite a prick in this role, a far cry from the farmer in Babe. And not just in his lack of humanity, but ... just the whiny protestations against impotence he makes... What a creep.
    I think this season is creepier than the first one. I enjoyed watching season 1, but as I watched a repeat a few weeks ago, I realized that I wouldn't want to watch the whole season again. So far, I think I would probably watch season 2 again in the future, although last week's episode was my least favorite and it seems like certain elements of the show are becoming too reduntant. I like the nazi backstory and how everyone has their own skeletons in the closet. The bloody face revelation was unexpected and more suspenseful than most movies that deal with the same theme. Overall, I like Asylum better than the Murder House. I hope the remainder of the season doesn't disappoint.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    It's definitely lost that qualtiy of erratic with moments of sheer brilliance that characterised Season 1. But still, I think that what's so effective about this season is that (if you exclude some of the more fantastical elements) the horror is grounded in something plausible.
    Yes, I think it's a different approach. Both were good. This one might appeal to more people.

I got into a conversation not too long ago about why The Ring is such a classic, and what it boiled down to is that the suspension of belief the film necessated was pretty limited. The same could be said of this season of AHS. Ex-Nazi Scientist continuing his work in a 1960s insane asylum? Plausible. Nutjob with medical background skinning women alive cause of deep seated abandonment issues? Also plausible. Woman getting committed against her will to an insane asylum in 1960s for being a found out as a lesbian? Not just plausible, but most likely factual.

So this season is perhaps not as terrifying as Season 1, but it's still deeply disturbing and fine horror.
    Yes, it's more "grounded" in other words. Season 1 was Pe explosions everywhere without necessarily rhyme or reason; this is a more intricate and rational network of ideas woven into the asylum "am I crazy?" theme.

I can appreciate both, I just seemed to get more of my "instant sugar injection" craziness from Season 1. So many wtf moments there...

Lange, I've heard, has already been hired on for Season 3; I don't have any idea what the theme of the season would be though.

[It would be kind of funny to see the Glee kids all get butchered, though.]

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I think this season is creepier than the first one. I enjoyed watching season 1, but as I watched a repeat a few weeks ago, I realized that I wouldn't want to watch the whole season again.
    Yeah. I think it's more preference, because I'd watch Season #1 again but am behind this season because I'm not quite as motivated to sit and watch the episodes. I'm excited that NetFlix picked up this and The Walking Dead.

So far, I think I would probably watch season 2 again in the future, although last week's episode was my least favorite and it seems like certain elements of the show are becoming too reduntant. I like the nazi backstory and how everyone has their own skeletons in the closet. The bloody face revelation was unexpected and more suspenseful than most movies that deal with the same theme. Overall, I like Asylum better than the Murder House. I hope the remainder of the season doesn't disappoint.
    Maybe I'll blitz through the last few this weekend.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Okay, I just watched Episode #5 last night, which unveils the identity of Bloody Face. (NOW I see the connection between Nazis and Bloody Face -- considering what those lampshades were made out of. Horrific!)

And now poor Chloe Sovigny is marauding about the school grounds, terrorizing little girls. Oh, the inhumanity.

And Sister Jude is trolling for hookups again.

Who knows where the madness will end?

I still crack up over the venom dripping from James Cromwell's voice; I've never seen him play such a twisted old f*ck ever, and it keeps interplaying badly with "Babe" in my head. The stuff that comes out of his mouth...! It's like watching Mr. Rodgers playing Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs musical, where his comfortable slippers would be made from human organs.

So it looks like Evan Peters is getting screwed over two seasons in a row. He's been badly used.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Finished episode 7 now.

Nice to see Frances Conroy back. Also a bunch of cameos by people I've seen in other shows. Two Lost'ies are in this (Mapother,the guy who played Ethan; and then the cop for the asylum played the bounty hunter). And the Jewish guy actually played a mafia guy in Person of Interest last season.

Episode 6 btw was an origin story. And/or stories.

Special bonus for mentioning Harlow's terrycloth monkey experiment. That one always creeped me out.

MBTI
    STFU

So it looks like Evan Peters is getting screwed over two seasons in a row. He's been badly used.
    I thought he was really well used during the first season, but yeah his role has been pretty weak in season 2. Hopefully with the final episodes his character is put to good use. And that freakin alien subplot better produce some results!
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    I thought he was really well used during the first season, but yeah his role has been pretty weak in season 2. Hopefully with the final episodes his character is put to good use. And that freakin alien subplot better produce some results!
    I know, I'd really like to see that go somewhere, but at this point it's leaning toward it not being real. Still, you never know with these guys.

Last season was just crazy, insane, murderous ghosts + a monster in the basement.

This season it's (1) serial killer, (2) alien abductions, (3) demonic possession, (4) nazi war criminals, and (5) mutated human monsters. lol.

That's a lot to pack into a season. I wonder what they have in store for season 3.

I have to watch the 12/12 episode yet and I'm caught up. I appreciate how much time Lily Rabe is getting this season, she's doing pretty well with it.

MBTI
    STFU

I know, I'd really like to see that go somewhere, but at this point it's leaning toward it not being real. Still, you never know with these guys.

Last season was just crazy, insane, murderous ghosts + a monster in the basement.

This season it's (1) serial killer, (2) alien abductions, (3) demonic possession, (4) nazi war criminals, and (5) mutated human monsters. lol.

That's a lot to pack into a season. I wonder what they have in store for season 3.

I have to watch the 12/12 episode yet and I'm caught up. I appreciate how much time Lily Rabe is getting this season, she's doing pretty well with it.
    Yeah Lily Rabe is quite the champ this season. She deserves some kind of reward for that whole creepy penis touching scene in Thredson's office to cure her lesbianism.

I don't even know if they will have any plots left for a season 3. What could they possibly come up with? Swamp monsters? Space vampires? Toddler pageant zombies? Cuba Gooding JR?
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast