User Tag List

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

my floof is luxury Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

AV Club posted their review of the first episode. They brought up two points about the series and this season in particular that I found really interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by AV Club
    That new story, however, gives a better sense of what Murphy and Falchuk value about horror, beyond mere shock scares and moments of sexual transgression. For starters, the show’s constant belief that horror is tied as much to place as any other factor returns. In the universe of this show, evil grows in tendrils from a central location, and once your life touches that location in some small way, it’s forever cursed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AV Club
    What’s fascinating about this isn’t just how remarkably streamlined it is for how much it has going on, but also how Murphy, Falchuk, and their writers seem to almost be—in their own earnestly clumsy way—attempting to tell the flipside of a series like Mad Men, which is firmly set from the point-of-view of the status quo, that viewers might watch the cataclysmic change of the ‘60s from people who were relatively unaffected by it (save maybe Peggy). Asylum, then, is largely about the status quo’s attempt to deal with threats to its dominance and certainty, be those threats people in homosexual relationships or people in interracial marriages or any number of other things. To be sure, this is all conveyed in just about the most obvious way possible—there’s none of Mad Men’s weird lyricism, and the show doesn’t want weird lyricism—but it already gives the season a firmer foundation than season one ever had. In a twisted way, this is a workplace drama, and like many other workplace dramas over the years, it’s going to tackle Important Social Issues, usually through speechifying and exposition.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

#phreephobik

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"Workplace drama" -- ha, that's a pretty fascinating perspective. I'm going to have to think more about that and see how deep it runs.

Interesting comments about "place." I'm not sure about that yet (I mean, I'm sure the show IS stating that... I'm just not sure how pervasive it is).

For me on an individual level, I think the only experience I've had with that is my parent's house. In a way, I'm glad I'm not permitted to visit there anymore; for me, personally, there are too many dark memories. I remember going back to visit after escaping into adulthood, and each time it would be a dark experience would me, as if the bad memories and oppressiveness were oozing out of the walls to cling to me. Even my ex would comment on it -- the house was generally disheveled and falling apart, and my parents would keep the lighting inside rather dim and the colors washed out. To use the word "haunted" sounds like a cliche, especially in the context of this thread, but it's how I would feel every time I'd go back as long as I was inside -- like I was isolated and alone in my own grief all over again, there was definitely no comfort in the familiarity... and I could almost hear my parents' incessant arguing through my childhood and feel my dad's presence stumbling around the halls in an unpredictable drunken stupor, like it was only yesterday.

The only part of the property I'd feel good about was the surrounding countryside; the yard of the house was also a bit spooky and overgrown, but the hillsides and fields nearby were where I'd go to escape my misery and the only place in my childhood where I felt free, with the sky stretching blue above me and the green hilly meadows and golden corn rows extending in every which direction.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Did anyone watch the Asylum episode? Wtf?! It's getting crazier and crazier... with aliens, demons, and now both the doctor and head nun starting to lose their grip on sanity. The whole ending note with Chloe.... wow.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes, I'm watching. I thought I saw Shelley in this clip for the next episode with legs (around the 17 mark), but then I read this article. Oh wellz. :/

Of course the question of the season is WHO IS BLOODY FACE? I have no idea, but I am looking forward to finding out!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Yes, I'm watching. I thought I saw Shelley in this clip for the next episode with legs (around the 17 mark), but then I read this article. Oh wellz. :/
    Ha ha... it only gets better and better worse and worse.

Well, it seems that haven't really backed off at all. I'm still caught off-guard by some of the crazy stuff, and James Cromwell and Jessica Lange are chewing up the scenery. (And even Lily Rabe has her moments in the sun now.)

And I thought Adam Levine was supposed to last longer, from interviews. I wonder if there's more to that story than what seems to be happening.

MBTI
    STFU

loving franka potente as anne frank. i hope cromwell's character doesn't kill her, but knowing this show, they may need to make him even more hate worthy by killing off everyone's favorite hidden jew. what a dick.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Epiphany

Why isn't season 2 being shown on the website? I've missed every episode since the first one.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Why isn't season 2 being shown on the website? I've missed every episode since the first one.
    I don't think they showed first season last year on their web site. (Can someone confirm?) I think I had to go elsewhere to find the show.

I'm watching it here this year:
    http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/

An ad or box will pop up overtop the video frame, but look for the X to close it or click elsewhere on the screen. I have always been able to get around it to avoid downloading anything.

Epiphany

So far...I like this season better than the first one. It's more horror and less soap opera.

MBTI
    STFU

the bloodyface reveal was fantastic.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast