First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    That was an amazing episode! Lots of excitement, and lots of stuff sort of resolved, too, but there's still so much more to explore. Violet's character really redeemed herself in this episode. Surely we won't be seeing the last of Tate, though? Also, if she can tell Tate to go away, can she just tell any other ghost to go away? She couldn't banish Zachary Quinto.
    I can't imagine they'd just get rid of Tate, he's a great character.

Remember a few episodes back, when Tate tells Violet that if she tells him to go, he will? He doesn't want to be there intruding into her life if she doesn't want him. I'm not sure what the "rule" is exactly; it's possible that the ghosts that go away choose to do so, some of the horrific interactions that occur seem incidental rather than planned by some of the ghosts.

I also really liked Nora comforting Tate as a little boy, and him feeling the need to repay her kindness. Really like the actress who plays Nora. She's just right on the edge of looney-tunes.
    That was such a nice tie-in.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

That was an amazing episode! Lots of excitement, and lots of stuff sort of resolved, too, but there's still so much more to explore. Violet's character really redeemed herself in this episode. Surely we won't be seeing the last of Tate, though? Also, if she can tell Tate to go away, can she just tell any other ghost to go away? She couldn't banish Zachary Quinto.
    Well, I'm gutted after last nights episode. It was good, but I hate that Violet and Vivien are dead.
    Why wasn't the baby hideous?
    Hmm... we haven't seen it yet. lol

I also really liked Nora comforting Tate as a little boy, and him feeling the need to repay her kindness. Really like the actress who plays Nora. She's just right on the edge of looney-tunes.
    That was a good scene, but the infantata thing is kind of silly. Where did Charles find those teeth?

Jessica Lange is a goddess.
    She is perfectly cast as Constance and I hope isn't overlooked when the Emmys roll around.

My questions this week are, what will Ben do with the bodies? Where were the flies and why was the electricity off when Ben and Vivian entered the house?

Here is Ryan Murphy's weekly interview shedding light on "Birth". According to him, we're going to be very shocked by the final scene in the finale.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

During the birthing sequence, there are shots of Ben in the corner being terrified. What were those supposed to represent?
    Yes. That was never in the script. That was something we cooked up when we shot that. We really wanted to show in that moment if you were a man who walked in and there suddenly is a 1920s gynecologist and somebody like Jessica Lange telling you that the house is helping you, I think he has to present to his wife a sense of confidence but I think those—we call them subliminal flashbacks—really show you what’s going on inside his head.
    Yeah, okay, i grasped that one correctly then -- I thought it was a representation of how crazy he was feeling at the time, rather than literal.

I liked how they kept jumping back and forth between the current birth and Violet's birth (which of course then led up to that final scene between her and her mom too). Happy old times, current painful times, all part of the tapestry/continuum.

So when Violet shut her eyes and said “Go Away” to Tate, does that mean he’s been banished from the house? Will he be back in the finale?
    No he does come back in the finale and their relationship is played out in the finale. But for the most part that was the conclusion of the relationship.
    Moah Tate!!!

I just watched Kick-Ass this week again, it was funny watching him in that movie since before he was kind of the third-wheel in the trio of friends and not that memorable... although he does have the greatest line, referring to Hit Girl:

Todd: Yeah! I think I'm in love with her, dude.
    Marty: She looks like she's about 11 years old but...
    Todd: I can wait! I solemnly vow to save myself for her.

What is it with him and younger girls?

One week until the finale... but it's only the beginning. Who knows where it all is going?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I wonder if Ben is delusional and imagining most of this? I watched 4 earlier episodes again today and it seems that he was blacking out and not remembering things such as wandering in the kitchen and nearly burning his hand before Constance sent him back to the bedroom telling him, "It's not your time yet". Also, digging up the yard that wound up unearthing Miora's body and dumping Hayden in it. ALSO, I've noticed that when "living" people see the ghosts, they usually just disappear *poof* , like when Vivian died, Ben was left on his own and when Constance was talking to Chad, he vanished. Something just isn't right.

Ryan Murphy says things will be MUCH clearer after the finale and if it isn't, he'll be happy to explain. IS IT WEDNESDAY YET?

I was very surprised to learn that Connie Britton (Vivien) is 6 years younger than Dylan McDermott (Ben). Anyone else find her selection odd given that she appears so much older than her husband? Perhaps that relates to the story somehow? Or it could just be talent-based casting and the hope that they could make her appear younger with the long hair and chic wardrobe.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I was very surprised to learn that Connie Britton (Vivien) is 6 years younger than Dylan McDermott (Ben). Anyone else find her selection odd given that she appears so much older than her husband? Perhaps that relates to the story somehow? Or it could just be talent-based casting and the hope that they could make her appear younger with the long hair and chic wardrobe.
    I didn't even think twice about that, although she does look older than her age and Dylan has always looked younger. But people marry all the time of different ages, so I'm not sure why it matters. It just is. Maybe it made his affair more believable, since she looks older and he looks younger and thus the coed affair seems more likely?

I assume they picked her because she was the right price, she had the right type of exposure (being regular on another show at the time), she could play the character the way they wanted, and I think both of them wanted to break out of their typecasting. But Connie is just there to me; I don't get a lot of resonance from her, personally. (Not like I connect with Violet or Hayden or Ben or Tate, etc.)

I still think the unexpected gem of the season was Tate... it's really hard for a character like that to still be liked and sympathetic to the audience, and somehow (I think because of his earnestness in the role) he seems to have pulled that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I didn't even think twice about that, although she does look older than her age and Dylan has always looked younger. But people marry all the time of different ages, so I'm not sure why it matters. It just is.
    LOL It matters as much as it matters to discuss a television series on a typology forum. I thought everything was fair game.

Following your edit, I think that could be a possibility. Dunno.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well of course you can discuss it, i never said that you couldn't. Just like we can discuss why she has red hair and he has black. Is there a reason for it? I dunno.

MBTI
    INTP

Hmm. Connie Britton has a different look, but I don't necessarily think she looks older than her age or older than Dylan McDermott. I think we're just used to seeing actresses who are over 40 all looking the same via cosmetic procedures and plumpers, and we're used to seeing actors who are in their 50s being paired with 30 year olds. McDermott does look a little younger than 50, but he has the rugged look, so it wouldn't matter if he did look his age.

I don't know about the "being the right price" thing--she has a huge following from Friday Night Lights. I like her in this, though I think none of the Harmon family is particularly meant to be likable. I like her moments of "are you kidding me right now?" She has a different presence than a lot of the cookie cutter actresses her age. She has more of a realness about her.

Speaking of looking older than one's age, though, Frances Conroy looks about 70 in this, and she's in her fifties. It works for the character, and I love her, but dark red hair color is not your friend after 50!

Edited to add: I had no idea Frances Conroy's eye looks like that IRL now! How interesting they used it as part of the character! I can't find any info about how it got that way, though.
    Something Witty

I think we're just used to seeing actresses who are over 40 all looking the same via cosmetic procedures and plumpers, and we're used to seeing actors who are in their 50s being paired with 30 year olds. McDermott does look a little younger than 50, but he has the rugged look, so it wouldn't matter if he did look his age.
    I agree, which is why I found their choice odd. It isn't standard for Hollywood, so I thought there might've been a reason for deviating from the long-standing formula. Interesting about Conroy's eye, too. Just a cataract perhaps? I agree that it's cool they made it part of the story.