• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

KDude

Maybe it is something like that, I don't know. I'll try and look for the thread. Changing the subject... I remember reading about a powerlifting champ that recommending listening to music you hate while training because it makes you aggressive... that never worked for me. I always liked AC/DC.

I think funk works for exercise.. mostly a consistent driving beat..like it's there,and it's fun, but not a lot parts where distracts too much. Probably the same reason many use dance music too.

wolfy

awsm
I think funk works for exercise.. mostly a consistent driving beat..like it's there,and it's fun, but not a lot parts where distracts too much. Probably the same reason many use dance music too.

Dance is really good, easy to design exercise choreography to. I think funk would be great as well, can't say that I have used it much though.

KDude

Dance is really good, easy to design exercise choreography to. I think funk would be great as well, can't say that I have used it much though.

Well you can go with.. kind of modern funk. People will lie, but I don't think anyone hates the Chili Peppers that much?

wolfy

awsm
Well you can go with.. kind of modern funk. People will lie, but I don't think anyone hates the Chili Peppers that much?

Actually I was thinking of designing something to Funky Monks as I listened to it on the way home the other day.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm actually a heavy metal fan. Mostly glam-metal. I always will be, because it holds a special place in my heart. It reminds me of good times.

I had a gigantic Jon Bon Jovi poster in my bedroom when I was 17. Went to many concerts, smoked tons 'o pot, drank lots 'o liquor, hung out in heavy metal dive-bars, and dated the guys. Those were the days. If only men still looked that good..... stretch pants and long hair. :drool:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't bitchslap you! :(

The difference between ENFP Te and ESTJ Te is that ESTJs don't use it as a tool for a specific purpose (e.g. for bitchslapping). We just use it all the time and don't know how to communicate without it. I used it a bit harsher in this thread because, since you use it that way, I thought I was speaking your language. :(

Ah well! :laugh: Learned my lesson there.

cute_frog__2.jpg

^Frogs are cute! :wub:

So thank you for the flattering metaphor! :)

Let the record show that I beat Elfboy at his own game. :devil:

(teasing! rly!)

Aw :( but you have a whole new world of music to explore! :holy: What's not to be excited about??

I'm not mad at you, you just beat me fair and square (albeit unintentionally) :)
I only said I was emo because you got me started listening to evanescence again and it made me feel kinda sad listening to it :cry:
you have nothing to apologize for :hug: :hug:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh btw, one of my best friends who is a definite INFJ also loves Def Leppard. I believe she's fond of Aerosmith too. :D

EDIT: I might as well admit it, I find male rock stars incredibly sexy too. There are actually hardly any female pop/rock singers I like - and those I do are mostly more on the "pop" side (the amazing Chrissy Hynde of the Pretenders is an exception).

I just think you need testosterone to truly rock out, baby. And if you have testosterone, awesome music and attitude, you can rock anything and I will adore you, even if you are not conventionally handsome and even if you choose to wear ridiculous clothing. :D

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like a lot of rock music, but I don't like "rock music" itself, because it isn't really real. Genres are mostly collections of standards & cliches. & hip-hop has the most of all, even though I do like hip-hop as a genre. :dry:

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
God, I don't know. What you might refer to as "rock" music is just something you feel in your bones. That being said, it varies with the mood. I wouldn't listen to Converge for the same reasons that I might listen to Bon Jovi.

You're better off going for prog rock or math rock, since you seem to like the idea of complexity in your music. If you're into Celtic stuff, then folk metal isn't a bad place to start either, especially the groups that incorporate lots of traditional instruments and female melodic vocals.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
I find it amusing how defensive :threaten: and hostile :ng_mad: some people got when they thought Elfboy was criticizing their favorite music. :laugh:

Part of the problem is that there isn't really any such thing as rock music. Practically all of popular music is "rock" in a vague, hand-wavy way except for a few arbitrarily excluded genres.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not like all music that gets called rock, but for the stuff that I do like, speed, energy, and some emotion in the singers voice (assuming its not an instrumental) are the elements I enjoy most. A lot of toher types of music can offer the same things, and those are not the only criteria that affect if I like a song, but regarding rock and metal, I think those are the main factors for me.

whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer

Perhaps including a mix of subgenres I like and a few I'm more ambivalent toward will be more informative. When looking at music I like as a whole, lyrics and the vocalist are the most important aspect - I need to feel something when I listen to at least one or the other, and the voice has to be one that does not bother me. After that, an artistic quality to the music or vocals is something that has a positive effect on my listening experience (its hard to describe, and artistic may not be the best word, but its a sense of the artist truely expressing their creativity and vision through the combination of music, lyrics and vocals (this is a sense that I usually only get from more experimental music - stuff that blurs genres or goes into uncharted teritory musically)

Soft Rock -I like some of it, but musically It usually does not do much for me. The stuff I do like is because of lyrics and or a good vocalist.

Indie Rock - This is a genre of rock tthat in general does not appeal to me, the music seldom has enough energy or emotion to appeal to me on a musical level and its even rarer to hear a vocalist for an indie band that I like (I suspect a lot of indie vocalists and songwriters ate xxTx types, but thats just a guess based on the lack of emotion I feel from their songs and lyrics). It might be a subconscious to put any rock music I find to be bland and uninspired into "indie", so its possible there may be some Indie bands I like but don't know they are indie.

Pop-Rock (Britney, Lady GaGa) - Some of it is quite catchy. Not the type of stuff I'd go buy a CD of, but it usually has an energy level that can keep me listenign for a song or two.

Old School Hard Rock/Metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dio, Judas Priest) - This is the stuff I grew up listening to, and where my main description at the top of this post applies to. Tends to be fast paced, high energy music often with interesting lyrics.

Progressive Rock/Metal (Blind Guardian, Echoes of Eternity, Dream Theater, Kamelot) - I like some of the lyrics and vocals, but in spite of the music being a good pace, I find most of it does very little for me.

Power Metal (Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Elvenking, Edguy, Alestorm) - Very high energy metal. In some ways, its the evolution of 80s speed metal, but with a lot less anger and aggression. Some of it is cheerful, some inspirational, some just for fun. Good Power metal should impart some of its energy to you - I find it great for improving my typing rate as well as good music to excercise to.

Gothic Rock and Metal (Within Temptation, Sirenia, Beseech, Krypteria, Elis, Delain, Xandria) - This is what I listen to the most often these days. Both the music and lyrics tend to convey a strong emotional component (Most of the time, I can feel the emotion from both the vocal tones and the music itself). This is music I beleive to made by and for INFx types - of all music types, this is the one I relate to the most.

Symphonic Rock and Metal (Epica, Therion, Trans-Siberian Orchestra) - I like the combination of classical instruments with hard rock and metal. The vocals and lyrics of these types of groups usually appeal to me as well. There is a lot of overlap in the sound of Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal, but the bands I have labled as symphonic have all used full backing symphonies in at least some of their albums.

Cygnus

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] if this is the case than what, pray tell, is a genre you like?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Did you hear about the new epidemic going around?
Every man, woman, and child is catching it
It’s spreading from town to town
It’s called the dap dip
And they say you get it in your pants

Oh hell, Mickey
That ain’t no epidemic
That’s a brand new dance

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] if this is the case than what, pray tell, is a genre you like?

opera, various ethnic folk music (especially Ukrainian), eurobeat, trance, soundtracks( from various movies/anime/videogames etc)

Cygnus

opera, various ethnic folk music (especially Ukrainian), eurobeat, trance, soundtracks( from various movies/anime/videogames etc)

Hmmm, I kinda like the folk stuff.

I hate most mainstream pop, but I don't really like a lot of the trance stuff. Electronic like Clark is good to me.
For me, the individual song matters more than the genre.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Didn't the OP issue already get sorted out?

Why was this thread revived?