• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I already said what my objective was; to see what kind of rock you like. And the objective has been met. I'm an ESTJ, dammit, what do you want from me? :laugh:

I know :laugh:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like rock music because it throws in the kitchen sink of all types of musical influences; it's experimental. Has elements of classical in it, jazz, blues, rnb, world music, electronic.

This is a big reason for me. I like novelty, change, and experimentation, and rock music, as a subgenre of popular music in general, is always evolving. It brings in some of the best bits of everything else.

I also like the simplicity, especially when it takes more complex styles of music & fits them to a rock music format. Sometimes expressing something in a more simple manner is far more difficult than doing it in a complex way. It also makes rock music seem very raw, which in turn, feels real & emotionally moving.

When this combines with intelligent lyrics, then it's a great combination of technical simplicity & emotional complexity. Some of the most difficult things, especially emotionally, are communicated in a relatively simple way.

I don't know. With no offence intended, I struggle to understand why anyone could not like any kind of rock at all. :shrug:

I suppose I like it because it can express the full range of emotions: it can be intense, exuberant, romantic, cheeky, aggressive, thrilling, pensive, fun, melancholy, among many other things. I also think its appeal has to do with the guitar; there's just something inherently marvelous about it. It's such a versatile and expressive instrument.

As an extension of this idea, rock music (again, being part of popular music) is "the music of the people". I can see why the self-proclaimed, elitist, aristocratic elfboy may not find this appealing ;). However, I find the accessibility of it very appealing. This is music ANYONE can make. You just need a guitar. This makes it very relatable to the everyman because it is made by the everyman for the everyman.

I also enjoy the lyrical content. The genres you list [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] don't seem to have in depth lyrical content. Rock music has become increasingly poetic since, IDK, the 50s (?). The modern poet is arguably the rock singer-songwriter, as few read contemporary poetry anymore.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a big reason for me. I like novelty, change, and experimentation, and rock music, as a subgenre of popular music in general, is always evolving. It brings in some of the best bits of everything else.

I also like the simplicity, especially when it takes more complex styles of music & fits them to a rock music format. Sometimes expressing something in a more simple manner is far more difficult than doing it in a complex way. It also makes rock music seem very raw, which in turn, feels real & emotionally moving.

When this combines with intelligent lyrics, then it's a great combination of technical simplicity & emotional complexity. Some of the most difficult things, especially emotionally, are communicated in a relatively simple way.

As an extension of this idea, rock music (again, being part of popular music) is "the music of the people". I can see why the self-proclaimed, elitist, aristocratic elfboy may not find this appealing ;). However, I find the accessibility of it very appealing. This is music ANYONE can make. You just need a guitar. This makes it very relatable to the everyman because it is made by the everyman for the everyman.

I also enjoy the lyrical content. The genres you list [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] don't seem to have in depth lyrical content. Rock music has become increasingly poetic since, IDK, the 50s (?). The modern poet is arguably the rock singer-songwriter, as few read contemporary poetry anymore.

frankly, I don't care at all about poetry or lyrics. I'm 100% about melody.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I also enjoy the lyrical content. The genres you list [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] don't seem to have in depth lyrical content. Rock music has become increasingly poetic since, IDK, the 50s(?). The modern poet is arguably the rock singer-songwriter, as few read contemporary poetry anymore.

I think we can mostly thank Bob Dylan for this.

Agree 100% with this post.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Something else: I feel as though loud rock music lets me release my inner ESTP. :laugh: Seriously. When you are INFJ 6w5, you spend a lot of time trapped in your head, or it can happen easily. Moments of pure sensation, rather than dealing with thoughts and the feelings that they trigger all the time, are incredibly wonderful. And that's what happens when I listen to loud rock music or I'm at a concert. It releases me and it releases the Se, and it feels incredibly exhilarating.

Although it's not me wanting to cultivate a certain image, I have to admit that it kind of tickles me to be the girl who adores Def Leppard and who will also ramble on at length about obscure poetry. People sometimes think you need to be one or the other, and it's not really the case.

Lots of reasons, but mostly what SilkRoad said. Like Wolfy said, it's visceral. It gets me out of my head and experiencing pure sensation. And that's what I want out of music. I want it to get me charged up, get me exhilarated...I want to be in the middle of 20,000 people going out of their minds in the exact same way. That's why I like rock. I think what you want out of listening to music is going to be a big factor in what kind of music you listen to.

Also, only rock stars get to wear spangly silver jackets and pink boas and still have everyone want to fuck them! :banana2:

rockwvq.jpg

KDude

no, that was me getting Te bitch slapped, not Ne bitch slapped

Might've been both. I just think she was linking different ideas easier than you. Her perception is dynamic. Umm.. I guess the free association thing typical of Ne. Your perception seems more static. You tend to push back with your mental doorstops and convictions. "Sarah Brightman! Ugh!" "Hippies. Ugh!" Missing the point on why these things are being mentioned in the first place. She's a cute little frog jumping around from lily pad to lily pad and you just want to stay on one. OK, bad illustration. Frogs aren't cute, are they? Or are they?

Just an observation.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Might've been both. I just think she was linking different ideas easier than you. Her perception is dynamic. Umm.. I guess the free association thing typical of Ne. Your perception seems more static. You tend to push back with your mental doorstops and convictions. "Sarah Brightman! Ugh!" "Hippies. Ugh!" Missing the point on why these things are being mentioned in the first place. She's a cute little frog jumping around from lily pad to lily pad and you just want to stay on one. OK, bad illustration. Frogs aren't cute, are they? Or are they?

Just an observation.

she beat me because I was being a snob and she took the opportunity for Te+Ne combo attack...most impressive.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To answer the OP's question: Because it gets me moving.

I like all kinds of music but hard rock/metal tends to be largely what I listen to the most. There is just something about a power chord...i don't know why but it just draws such a strong reaction from me.

And different songs/bands/etc.. have a different effect on me and as such I listen to them when I'm in different moves.

For examples, songs like

[YOUTUBE="E2NyPbT2WoY"]Black Sabbath - Paranoid[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE="EXHnTKcjTL0"]Judas Priest - Painkiller[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously get my blood pumping and get me moving. I can not sit still with music like that playing.

On the other hand, some rock songs are just good songs to listen around the office like

[YOUTUBE="Cm2-K6ttHYs"]Led Zepplin - Good Times Bad Times[/YOUTUBE]

and other songs are songs that inspire feel good/postive/want-to-chill with my friends music like

[YOUTUBE="csTNcH-7rVs"]America - Ventura Highway[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE="LEOxMsTxLOE"]The Verve - Rather Be[/YOUTUBE]

I could literally go on but...I'd rather just leave it at that.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
frankly, I don't care at all about poetry or lyrics. I'm 100% about melody.

I'm certainly NOT trying to convince you to like anything. If you can't imagine why other people would enjoy good lyrics even if you don't, then there's little point in explaining why we like anything that you don't like.

ejcc said:
Do you like Evanescence?
yeah
PS: you cut out the most important part of the quote

I just caught this....

So lame, mainstream nu-metal with strained vocals is acceptable? :D
Since it seems you DO like some rock music, then this thread is rather pointless.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Elfboy feels emo :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I knew I was walking to a Te bitchslap. oh well, nothing I could do about it I guess

no, that was me getting Te bitch slapped, not Ne bitch slapped
I didn't bitchslap you! :(

The difference between ENFP Te and ESTJ Te is that ESTJs don't use it as a tool for a specific purpose (e.g. for bitchslapping). We just use it all the time and don't know how to communicate without it. I used it a bit harsher in this thread because, since you use it that way, I thought I was speaking your language. :(

Ah well! :laugh: Learned my lesson there.
She's a cute little frog jumping around from lily pad to lily pad and you just want to stay on one. OK, bad illustration. Frogs aren't cute, are they? Or are they?
cute_frog__2.jpg

^Frogs are cute! :wub:

So thank you for the flattering metaphor! :)
she beat me because I was being a snob and she took the opportunity for Te+Ne combo attack...most impressive.
Let the record show that I beat Elfboy at his own game. :devil:

(teasing! rly!)

Elfboy feels emo :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:
Aw :( but you have a whole new world of music to explore! :holy: What's not to be excited about??

wolfy

awsm
I remember there was a thread on personalities and music tastes. I think Peguy started it, it was a link to a news article. I remember rock lovers were generally mellow types according to the article. As far as I can remember...

I started off liking blues and blues rock, then I got into rock, metal (mostly blues influenced like Sabbath etc, then some punk rock. I like a lot of different music but I tend to like simply structured stuff. I don't know what that says about me but yeah...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember there was a thread on personalities and music tastes. I think Peguy started it, it was a link to a news article. I remember rock lovers were generally mellow types according to the article. As far as I can remember...
Interesting! Do you remember what the non-mellow types listened to? I would have thought rock would attract non-mellow people... but maybe it's because it would be cathartic to mellow people? I for one am not an aggressive person but I find loud rock to be cathartic for that reason. I guess people who are aggressive all the time would want a different sort of musical catharsis -- maybe music that makes them vulnerable?

KDude

Lol. Hmm, I wouldn't really call myself mellow. Not in conjunction with music. Depends on the band too. Or sometimes if I'm driving, it's probably not a good idea to have metal playing. I get in a kind of a angry groove, and might lose patience with some people. I'm not proud of it, but whatever. On what planet is rock mellow? Not on planet motherfucker, I guess.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANLPDFfdvrM].[/youtube]

I like Sabbath too, but then.. I just feel exhilirated in that case. I'm not kicking back and chilling out. Same with even Hendrix. He's got a lot of reverb and delay in his songs. Feels spacey.. like he's taking me for a ride. I still get goosebumps from his leads. I wouldn't call the response mellow.

wolfy

awsm
Lol. Hmm, I wouldn't really call myself mellow. Not in conjunction with music. Depends on the band too. Or sometimes if I'm driving, it's probably not a good idea to have metal playing. I get in a kind of a angry groove, and might lose patience with some people. I'm not proud of it, but whatever. On what planet is rock mellow? Not on planet motherfucker, I guess.

I like Sabbath too, but then.. I just feel exhilirated in that case. I'm not kicking back and chilling out. Same with even Hendrix. He's got a lot of reverb and delay in his songs. Feels spacey.. like he's taking me for a ride. I still get goosebumps from his leads. I wouldn't call the response mellow.

I feel that way in response to a lot of music too. I can't remember if mellow was the word they used, it was something like that. Not in response to music but as an overall personality thing. I don't even know if that is true either, interesting lead in to other conversation is what I thought...

wolfy

awsm
Interesting! Do you remember what the non-mellow types listened to? I would have thought rock would attract non-mellow people... but maybe it's because it would be cathartic to mellow people? I for one am not an aggressive person but I find loud rock to be cathartic for that reason. I guess people who are aggressive all the time would want a different sort of musical catharsis -- maybe music that makes them vulnerable?

Maybe it is something like that, I don't know. I'll try and look for the thread. Changing the subject... I remember reading about a powerlifting champ that recommending listening to music you hate while training because it makes you aggressive... that never worked for me. I always liked AC/DC.