• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Certain parts -- and then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around :wizfreak:

Also: [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], you should have a listen to [MENTION=10431]Burning Rave[/MENTION]'s links. That was a good variety -- although it was almost entirely recent rock, and the sort of rock to be on rock radio and not hit radio. (I got warm fuzzies when I saw "It's Been A While" in there :wub: Brings back memories...)

Yeah, unfortunately, most of the rock I listen to are more recent.

I guess you can say mid 90's to now. And that reminds me.

[YOUTUBE="HTvu1Yr3Ohk"]Trapt - Headstrong[/YOUTUBE]

Any suggestions on earlier ones?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it's any consolation, I do like Nightwish :)
if it's not, well I never cared about being consoling in the first place

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get it. to me it all sounds grating and overly simplistic. what makes most people like it so much?
Edit: for the record, this is not a hate thread and I'd prefer if it didn't veer in that direction

OMG, I have such an incredible dislike of you.

I mean, I don't know you in really life, and it might well be you are a great person, but every single comment you make or opinion you have, I have the totally opposite one! Isn't that amazing? You are so good at getting under my skin and we never even talked! (you can take that as a compliment).

Regarding rock, if i had to transpose my gut feelings on paper, I'd say I like the sequence and I like the strength as well. You're an 7w8 too, you should understand that!!
Seriously, rock comes directly from the blues, so that's that, you have a chord sequence there, you know, 4/4. And what does rock have that blues doesn't? It's that strength. Maybe you find it noisy, but I can tell chords apart, so for me it's not noise, it's music! Do you know what I mean?!

Ps. What do you mean with over simplistic? How can an elaborate riff be over simplistic? Or a solo? Besides, all current popular music is based on 4/4 times, bass+2guitars+drums+singer. So what do you mean by over simplistic? Please tell me what kind of music you like so I can sustain an argument. Thanks.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG, I have such an incredible dislike of you.

I mean, I don't know you in really life, and it might well be you are a great person, but every single comment you make or opinion you have, I have the totally opposite one! Isn't that amazing? You are so good at getting under my skin and we never even talked! (you can take that as a compliment).

Regarding rock, if i had to transpose my guttural feelings on paper, I'd say I like the sequence and I like the strength as well. You're an 7w8 too, you should understand that!!
Seriously, rock comes directly from the blues, so that's that, you have a chord sequence there, you know, 4/4. And what does rock have that blues doesn't? It's that strength. Maybe you find it noisy, but I can tell chords apart, so for me it's not noise, it's music! Do you know what I mean?!

Ps. What do you mean with over simplistic? How can an elaborate riff be over simplistic? Or a solo? Besides, all current popular music is based on 4/4 times, bass+2guitars+drums+singer. So what do you mean by over simplistic? Please tell me what kind of music you like so I can sustain an argument. Thanks.

I'd rather get under your skin more. I need someone to screw with. you've just signed a death wish my friend :devil:

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
I like it because its generally the easiest music for me to daydream to.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd rather get under your skin more. I need someone to screw with. you've just signed a death wish my friend :devil:

not really. I didn't say I wanted to fuck you up. I was just honest, and told you how reading your posts makes me feel.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="FAPtTS0TYtU"]Oasis - Wonderwall[/youtube]

[youtube="969RAKkYESU"]Matchbox Twenty - Bent[/youtube]

If you dislike rock songs you would dislike these songs too.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want to start a thread called "Why do people like classical music?". Why does no one put that one into question? It's goddamn boring. I mean, I can enjoy many composers and the melody for what it is, but the rest, it's so contrived, so perfectionistic, so sick. Where is the feeling, where is the honesty, the imperfection, the humanity in it? Seriously, why do people put rock into question and not classical music? Because it's up on a pedestal! But why don't we discuss that as well?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To Synapse, I like rock but both those songs are shiite. It is MAINSTREAM ROCK i.e. POP. Oasis sucks (first album was good though), Matchbox Twenty is just a joke of a band. Try harder.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, basically, [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] likes rock music. He just didn't have a very clear idea on what it is.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not really. I didn't say I wanted to fuck you up. I was just honest, and told you how reading your posts makes me feel.
I know, I was only joking. I feel like a miscellaneous 7 today :devil:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah
PS: you cut out the most important part of the quote
Not really; just like how you don't care about consolation, I don't care about what you think about consolation.

The goal was never to get you to like ALL rock music; that's unrealistic, and almost no one likes all rock music anyway. The goal was to figure out, if you liked any music with rock instrumentation, what sort of rock it was you liked. And we've figured it out: Symphonic alt-metal with operatic female vocals. From there, you can expand to other very similar music if you choose to, or just stick with that. But either way, the point is that you do in fact like some rock. Obviously you aren't ever going to like three-chord punk rock or pumped-up macho arena rock or anything like that -- but who's disappointed? You not liking all rock music is not the end of the world.

Hence, my not addressing your other point earlier.

So, basically, [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] likes rock music. He just didn't have a very clear idea on what it is.
:yes:

Or at least, he didn't know how many subgenres of rock there are.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not really; just like how you don't care about consolation, I don't care about what you think about consolation.

The goal was never to get you to like ALL rock music; that's unrealistic, and almost no one likes all rock music anyway. The goal was to figure out, if you liked any music with rock instrumentation, what sort of rock it was you liked. And we've figured it out: Symphonic alt-metal with operatic female vocals. From there, you can expand to other very similar music if you choose to, or just stick with that. But either way, the point is that you do in fact like some rock. Obviously you aren't ever going to like three-chord punk rock or pumped-up macho arena rock or anything like that -- but who's disappointed? You not liking all rock music is not the end of the world.

Hence, my not addressing your other point earlier.

:yes:

Or at least, he didn't know how many subgenres of rock there are.

evanescence is not operatic vocals :doh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
evanescence is not operatic vocals :doh:
I know. Poor choice of words.

Here was my Ne thought progression: Nightwish --> Evanescence --> "Repo! the Genetic Opera" sounds like Evanescence --> Sarah Brightman is in that soundtrack --> she's an opera singer

Therefore, everything in that thought process associated itself with each other in my mind to the point that I couldn't separate Evanescence from opera from anything else.

p.s. You missed the most important part of my quote. ;)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know. Poor choice of words.

Here was my Ne thought progression: Nightwish --> Evanescence --> "Repo! the Genetic Opera" sounds like Evanescence --> Sarah Brightman is in that soundtrack --> she's an opera singer

Therefore, everything in that thought process associated itself with each other in my mind to the point that I couldn't separate Evanescence from opera from anything else.

p.s. You missed the most important part of my quote. ;)

fuck Sarah Brightman, she is a poser Sarah Brightman is not my cup of tea :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fuck Sarah Brightman, she is a poser Sarah Brightman is not my cup of tea :laugh:
So much missing of points is going on here! :laugh: Sarah Brightman is not the point. But I guess the point has already been reached, so anything from here on out has to be off-topic?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So much missing of points is going on here! :laugh: Sarah Brightman is not the point. But I guess the point has already been reached, so anything from here on out has to be off-topic?

so ending the thread was your objective all along...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so ending the thread was your objective all along...
I already said what my objective was; to see what kind of rock you like. And the objective has been met. I'm an ESTJ, dammit, what do you want from me? :laugh: