• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get it. to me it all sounds grating and overly simplistic. what makes most people like it so much?
Edit: for the record, this is not a hate thread and I'd prefer if it didn't veer in that direction

KDude

I don't get it. to me it all sounds grating and overly simplistic. what makes most people like it so much?

That's probably because you're stupid.

What? This argument will get no more elevated than that, I assure you. ;)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the same reason people like any kind of music.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the same reason people like any kind of music.

different types of music appeal to different personalities, internal beliefs and cultures. I'm wondering what the personal traits of those more likely to like rock music are.

wolfy

awsm
[YOUTUBE="biMGUTpISFo"]Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution[/YOUTUBE]

If you're asking why, it's a visceral thing... and if you're asking why, it's too late to get it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just all rock music? classic rock, folk rock, punk rock, heavy rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, bluesy rock....all of it?

what kind of music do you like?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just all rock music? classic rock, folk rock, punk rock, heavy rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, bluesy rock....all of it?

what kind of music do you like?

any kind of rock you like and why will do. I'm trying to understand why it's so appealing to most people

and i like
- opera
- eurodance
- classical music (holistically speaking, I like several different genres of it, but I'll save space)
- several movie, anime and video game soundtracks

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like rock music because it throws in the kitchen sink of all types of musical influences; it's experimental. Has elements of classical in it, jazz, blues, rnb, world music, electronic. The lyrics of songs I tend to listen to the most have a central message of revolution which appeals to me, as well as a social/philosophical bend to it. There's also quite a great deal of more romantic prog rock pieces I really enjoy... ones that have a bit more classical influences in it. I tend to listen to prog rock, pop/rock, soft rock, synth rock, new wave, classic rock, and the like.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like any kind of music with soul or ambiance. it has to move me emotionally some way....i don't like a lot of rock music that is about anything that doesn't matter to me or from a point of view that i don't relate to...but love folk or bluesy rock...and a lot of classic rock too...and some progressive rock.

i also like opera, house (or other electronic varieties ), classical, jazz

you likely just don't relate to it and others do...not the huge mystery elfboy.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You mean to tell me that Iggy Pop's "Real Wild Child" doesn't make you wanna strip down, slap on some blue dye, and fight Vikings? C'mon! :D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What kind of rock are we talking about? And it is pretty much like any music. Different forms of rock appeal to different crowds.

[YOUTUBE="SBjQ9tuuTJQ"]Foo Fighters - The Pretender[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="AL8ZGEyBuNs"]Pillar - Frontline[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="PVFtRq81Ku8"]Story of The Year - Anthem of Our Dying Days[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="tjRmhxqWmVU"]SR-71 - Goodbye[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="5qF_qbaWt3Q"]Linkin Park - Waiting For The End[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="8q182kWAhiM"]Staind - Its Been A While[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="70hIRnj9kf8"]Rise Against - The Good Left Undone[/YOUTUBE]

Listen, see what you get from listening to them. But if you don't get it, you don't get it.

The responses to this post of yours might be worth reading... :)

This.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like any kind of music with soul or ambiance. it has to move me emotionally some way....i don't like a lot of rock music that is about anything that doesn't matter to me or from a point of view that i don't relate to...but love folk or bluesy rock...and a lot of classic rock too...and some progressive rock.

i also like opera, house (or other electronic varieties ), classical, jazz

you likely just don't relate to it and others do...not the huge mystery elfboy.

I know, my objective understand more specifically what makes certain types of music appeal to certain people.
you see, I'm trying this new thing were I actually try to understand people instead of just being a snob and writing them off as Philistine

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, my objective understand more specifically what makes certain types of music appeal to certain people.
you see, I'm trying this new thing were I actually try to understand people instead of just being a snob and writing them off as Philistine

i see i see...well like wolfie said a lot of it is just visceral...people vibe on the energy..just like with any music you like...it puts you into an emotional state that you enjoy...you appreciate the skill of the musicians...the vocalists voice reaches in and grabs your soul in some way. it's about relating to the place the person is singing/playing from....i'm having a hard time believing you don't just get this on your own.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know. With no offence intended, I struggle to understand why anyone could not like any kind of rock at all. :shrug:

I suppose I like it because it can express the full range of emotions: it can be intense, exuberant, romantic, cheeky, aggressive, thrilling, pensive, fun, melancholy, among many other things. I also think its appeal has to do with the guitar; there's just something inherently marvelous about it. It's such a versatile and expressive instrument.

If you're asking why, it's a visceral thing... and if you're asking why, it's too late to get it.
"Visceral" is a good word for it :yes:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Dude. Reading the OP makes me think that you really don't understand rock. Not just in an emotional way, but with the knowledge of the genre. Rock is so so SO diverse. The guy that listens to nirvana will not be the same guy that listens to nightwish. The guy singing summer of 69 may find slipknot disgusting and offensive. It's very hard to answer your question when there are so many many subgenres of rock. I also find it odd that you find rock overly simplistic. I mean yeah, there are plenty of rock songs that are very simple, but there are also intensely complicated pieces too. I would say that certain genres of metal are a lot like classical music. What can I say? You're overgeneralising.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude. Reading the OP makes me think that you really don't understand rock. Not just in an emotional way, but with the knowledge of the genre. Rock is so so SO diverse. The guy that listens to nirvana will not be the same guy that listens to nightwish. The guy singing summer of 69 may find slipknot disgusting and offensive. It's very hard to answer your question when there are so many many subgenres of rock. I also find it odd that you find rock overly simplistic. I mean yeah, there are plenty of rock songs that are very simple, but there are also intensely complicated pieces too. I would say that certain genres of metal are a lot like classical music. What can I say? You're overgeneralising.

that is precisely the point :)

my answer to you is the same as to Lady X. whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer