ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You know you can like both opera and rock, right? Just ask Freddie Mercury.
    I was all prepared to argue but you just ruined it with this win! Oh well, rock on (or whatever your choice is)!!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    different types of music appeal to different personalities, internal beliefs and cultures. I'm wondering what the personal traits of those more likely to like rock music are.
    are you sure that you've not started taking these typology systems a little too seriously?

On the other hand you have the potential to be one of those, unfortunately, many scientists making inane biased studies.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    are you sure that you've not started taking these typology systems a little too seriously?

On the other hand you have the potential to be one of those, unfortunately, many scientists making inane biased studies.
    I never said anything about typology systems, but let's face it, your average rap listener probably has a noticeably different personality from your average classic rock listener. music is a tool of expression, so logically what it expresses would have different appeal to different personalities, though not necessarily different typology classifications. for instance, I am an ENFP, but most of the people I share most in common with in terms of musical tastes are TJs
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

I never said anything about typology systems, but let's face it, your average rap listener probably has a noticeably different personality from your average classic rock listener. music is a tool of expression, so logically what it expresses would have different appeal to different personalities, though not necessarily different typology classifications. for instance, I am an ENFP, but most of the people I share most in common with in terms of musical tastes are TJs
    What is the "average"? Y'know, the first album I ever bought was Licensed to Ill actually. I was 9. Then three years later, I kept "Die, Die My Darling" on a loop.

My friends are the same way. One of my good friends used to collect some of the crappiest homemade punk albums in 45 vinyl form. As he got older, he became a DJ, and does a lot turntable stuff, and mixes with a lot hip hop people. And I think he knows the lyrics to every [good] hip hop song out there. It's almost annoying. Sometimes you just want to listen and not hear someone always sing next to you. Point being though, a lot of people are like us. Just fans of music. It becomes even more the case among musicians. Do you think someone like the RZA would be who he was if he had his head in one hole? The guy will drop The Fall, Danny Elfman, and KRS-1 in one sentence.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Im not sure that I understand this notion. But who am I to judge. Carry on

Me either. I know another ETJ who's a big hip hop fan, but he's funny for his liking for old 80s rock too. I bought his little kid a Def Leppard shirt. No complaints.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    What is the "average"? Y'know, the first album I ever bought was Licensed to Ill actually. I was 9. Then three years later, I kept "Die, Die My Darling" on a loop.

My friends are the same way. One of my good friends used to collect some of the crappiest homemade punk albums in 45 vinyl form. As he got older, he became a DJ, and does a lot turntable stuff. And I think he knows the lyrics to every [good] hip hop song out there. It's almost annoying. Sometimes you just want to listen and not hear someone always sing next to you. Point being though, a lot of people are like us. Just fans of music. It becomes even more the case among musicians. Do you think someone like the RZA would be who he was if he had his head in one hole? The guy will drop The Fall, Danny Elfman, and KRS-1 in one sentence.
    I suppose my answer was Fi/Te motivated and probably not meet Ti approval (being specific and precise). I was only making a very general example to illustrate a point, precisely defining what average was would not have served my purposes.
    PS: I used to be a voice major and it's certainly been true of most of the musicians I've met/worked with. competition between performing artists has much more to do with the fans than the performers themselves. most of the time the actual musicians all love each other. for example, people think Lady Gaga thinks she's better than Madonna, but in all probability I bet Lady Gaga loves Madonna, similar to how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were life long friends on top of being rivals.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

I suppose my answer was Fi/Te motivated and probably not meet Ti approval (being specific and precise). I was only making a very general example to illustrate a point, precisely defining what average was would not have served my purposes.
    PS: I used to be a voice major and it's certainly been true of most of the musicians I've met/worked with. competition between performing artists has much more to do with the fans than the performers themselves. most of the time the actual musicians all love each other. for example, people think Lady Gaga thinks she's better than Madonna, but in all probability I bet Lady Gaga loves Madonna, similar to how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were life long friends on top of being rivals.
    And both Madonna and Gaga are good examples of well rounded musicians, despite being famous for pop. A lot of Madonna's early music was from the late NYC rock scene, once punk and new wave were getting popular. Some of those songs are really good. And around the time "Music" came out, she was really cool in an interview I saw once.. where she was re-learning how to play guitar again. Gaga is a former Juliard student, but with a liking for Burlesque, Queen, German Industrial, straight pop..among other things. She's just got her own collection of tastes that can't be singled down. Which is what I'm trying to say about many people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

okay, I'll use opera for example. opera generally communicates strength, integrity and passion and most of the people I've met who like opera tend to notice these traits and vibe with them too. most of my acquaintances who are opera fans are unusually confident, passionate and carry themselves with a sense of nobility. there tends to be a certain extravagance and desire to be regal that I very rarely see in other people. it's not that they're snobs, it's just who they are
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!