• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like rock music?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And both Madonna and Gaga are good examples of well rounded musicians, despite being famous for pop. A lot of Madonna's early music was from the late NYC rock scene, once punk and new wave were getting popular. Some of those songs are really good. And around the time "Music" came out, she was really cool in an interview I saw once.. where she was re-learning how to play guitar again. Gaga is a former Juliard student, but with a liking for Burlesque, Queen, German Industrial, straight pop..among other things. She's just got her own collection of tastes that can't be singled down. Which is what I'm trying to say about many people.

I know, I'm not trying to pigeon hole people for their tastes by any means, but I'm trying to understand if there are any general similarities between most of the fans of certain musical genres.

uncommonentity

Because it rocks.

-Use of 16th notes (complex)
-Use of Blastbeats (complex)
-Use of Exotic Scales (complex)
-Satan is lulz (questionable)

If you think rock sucks you're not listening to the right kind of METAL.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To answer the OP: BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME.

Some of my fav bands include Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin and Metallica (well, the Black Album - which admittedly probably doesn't make me a real Metallica fan.) Typical INFJ, eh?

I also love bands/singers perhaps more typical to my type such as Sting and Crowded House, and I was classically trained (piano), and love classical music too.

I find "why would anyone like rock music" a really odd question. I mean, just because you don't... I tend to be at my happiest when I'm at a loud concert.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
okay, I'll use opera for example. opera generally communicates strength, integrity and passion and most of the people I've met who like opera tend to notice these traits and vibe with them too. most of my acquaintances who are opera fans are unusually confident, passionate and carry themselves with a sense of nobility. there tends to be a certain extravagance and desire to be regal that I very rarely see in other people. it's not that they're snobs, it's just who they are

okay so you're looking for people with a preference for rock music. I cant help you there. And its not a bad observation, I would say I agree with your observations.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To answer the OP: BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME.

Some of my fav bands include Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin and Metallica (well, the Black Album - which admittedly probably doesn't make me a real Metallica fan.) Typical INFJ, eh?

I also love bands/singers perhaps more typical to my type such as Sting and Crowded House, and I was classically trained (piano), and love classical music too.

I find "why would anyone like rock music" a really odd question. I mean, just because you don't... I tend to be at my happiest when I'm at a loud concert.

clearly an INFJ 6w5 Sp/Sx liking this is evidence that this may be less type related than I initially though :laugh:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
clearly an INFJ 6w5 Sp/Sx liking this is evidence that this may be less type related than I initially though :laugh:

i can't think of any types that wouldn't like rock music. some might be more likely but it's really widespread and there are all different kinds..

infp 4w5's are probably supposed to listen to morrissey or some shit but i mostly listen to hip-hop.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can't think of any types that wouldn't like rock music. some might be more likely but it's really widespread and there are all different kinds..

infp 4w5's are probably supposed to listen to morrissey or some shit but i mostly listen to hip-hop.

makes sense to me. hip hop is very Ne-ish and there's plenty of 4-ishness in there too

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why would anyone dislike Rock?
Dwayne_rock_Johnson.jpg

Serious answer: I'm not a big fan. My musical interests range from rap and hip pop to Enya, which makes me a bad parameter. Name a great band and I will usually only like 10% of their musics.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't think things like this are very type-related. A bit, sure, but there are too many other factors at work. My older brother's influence has a lot to do with me liking hard rock/metal. He started listening to hard rock by the time I was 8 or so and while I didn't like some of it, I loved others. He's probably an ISTJ, it's probably a bit more typical for him. I suspect that without his influence, I might still have gotten into bands like Led Zeppelin eventually (he's not nearly as big a fan as I am) but maybe not some of the others.

As for classical, my parents put us into music lessons starting quite young. My dad loves classical music and was always playing his records when we sat down for dinner etc. I think that influenced my love of rock music too to the extent that I love very melodic music (whether hard rock or something softer.) If it's really drony or thrashy, I probably won't like it.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something else: I feel as though loud rock music lets me release my inner ESTP. :laugh: Seriously. When you are INFJ 6w5, you spend a lot of time trapped in your head, or it can happen easily. Moments of pure sensation, rather than dealing with thoughts and the feelings that they trigger all the time, are incredibly wonderful. And that's what happens when I listen to loud rock music or I'm at a concert. It releases me and it releases the Se, and it feels incredibly exhilarating.

Although it's not me wanting to cultivate a certain image, I have to admit that it kind of tickles me to be the girl who adores Def Leppard and who will also ramble on at length about obscure poetry. People sometimes think you need to be one or the other, and it's not really the case.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I only know ONE person who doesn't like any rock or really any other genres besides rap/hiphop and I kinda suspect it's because for whatever reason, he doesn't actually like the "music" part of it, but only the lyrics and possibly also the beat.

Everyone else I've ever met likes at least a few rock socks. Rock is so ridiculously diverse that I kinda don't believe you wouldn't like a single song in the group of songs classified as some kind of rock. How many rock songs have you listened to before dismissing the entire, massive genre with thousands and thousands of artists? I kinda suspect it's like saying you don't like hot food after trying a bowl of curry and a bowl of chili, and then eating sandwiches for the rest of your life. You're missing out!

Assuming your love of opera is based on the music and not based on wanted to present yourself as "cultured", I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't like some symphonic or progressive rock. A lot of it can be similar to opera musically. Certainly not "simplistic" though - I strongly suspect that it would actually be more complicated musically than opera since well, that's usually the whole point of the sub-genre.

An example of more melodic rock (but don't worry, they're British, so you could still keep your "high-class" airs :rofl1:):

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLauUUIMOU&feature=related"]Guiding Light[/YOUTUBE]
and another one by the same band:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDv4bSZNllc&feature=related"]Zero Hour[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not sure if you would like those, since everyone's taste is different (I didn't know which to choose since I like about a million of their songs - the second song is one of my favorites ever) but it's more to show that "rock" is a ridiculously diverse group, which doesn't just consist of Led Zeppelin and their wannabees.

edit: another example, this one indie rock, also not fitting the rock stereotype that I suspect you're judging all rock by:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-K05oBku10"]Stars[/YOUTUBE]

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be partial to symphonic metal, so I guess you can say that my tastes are a classical and rock hybride and I am therefore more exquisite than any of you.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be partial to symphonic metal, so I guess you can say that my tastes are a classical and rock hybride and I am therefore more exquisite than any of you.

Dream Theater?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty familair with anime stuff and most of it is pop or rock. I kind of have to lol. The difference between Rock and Pop mostly is created by people who like to categorize and compartmentalize things, like people who frequent MBTI sites. But yeah, usually Rock is differentiated by an attitude and/or marketing. Musicians usually just create what moves them. Really great musicians tend to have very wide variety of tastes. I'm guessing you just don't like the image.

In any case, I love '60's folksy stuff, psychedelic, experimental, all that stuff when they were making something new and music was important in the grand scheme of things. I also love the the theatrical stuff, Bowie, Queen, The Who (theatrical and classic). Early heavy stuff, Cream, Sabbath. And even poppy one off singles and cool '80s new wave. Basically everything. :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bet you don't like Polka. Nobody likes Polka.

Not even the people at Polka festivals.

Lol, I was talking about Rock. But I will listen to a Weird Al meddley anytime, and that Creole accordian music is cool. But, yeah, I don't load up polka while I'm going for a drive.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt it has much to do with personality type, honestly, although it can. I like all kinds of music, and so does my S.O.
It seems that a lot of people prefer the music they grew up with, or the popular music they hear on the radio, just because it's there and they hear it alot. Popular music defines generations of teenagers, and alot of people stick with loving the style they grew up with, their whole lives.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thats a given bro. :whistling: