User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that is precisely the point

my answer to you is the same as to Lady X. whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer
    Ugh That's kinda hard, I like different types of rock for different reasons. I like music in general because of the different emotions it creates in me. I like lovey dovey sappy rock because I like to be lovey dovey. I like dark stuff (eg. types of black metal, grunge) to take you to a dark place, it sort of has this forbidden fruit feel to it. A lot of other types of rock I like because it's fun and gives me this sense of elation (free bird, power metal, the list is pretty long).

These explanations are definitely not limited to rock though. I like jazz hip hop because it makes me feel relaxed too. I'm not sure there's anything specific about rock that I like. I just like exploring different emotions and music is the perfect way to do that. I don't really understand why anyone would enjoy music if it doesn't get them emotionally involved, personally.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that is precisely the point

my answer to you is the same as to Lady X. whichever subgenre you like and why will suffice as an answer
    Ugh That's kinda hard, I like different types of rock for different reasons. I like music in general because of the different emotions it creates in me. I like lovey dovey sappy rock because I like to be lovey dovey. I like dark stuff (eg. types of black metal, grunge) to take you to a dark place, it sort of has this forbidden fruit feel to it. A lot of other types of rock I like because it's fun and gives me this sense of elation (free bird, power metal, the list is pretty long).

These explanations are definitely not limited to rock though. I like jazz hip hop because it makes me feel relaxed too. I'm not sure there's anything specific about rock that I like. I just like exploring different emotions and music is the perfect way to do that. I don't really understand why anyone would enjoy music if it doesn't get them emotionally involved, personally.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

What about prog rock Elf-boy? You might like that if you're such a classical music fan. It's anything but simple: it has that elevated, epic feel about it and complex structure that might be more appealing to you.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=646KtkEcPm8"]Pink Floyd - Echoes Part I [/YOUTUBE]
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

i love rock n' roll.
    makes me tap my toes and boogie.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i love rock n' roll.
    makes me tap my toes and boogie.
    Do you shake certain parts or just go for it all at once?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I like rock music because when opera radio stations call October "Rocktober" it just doesn't have the same appeal.
    Plus you can't really do this to opera. (I should note that I actually do listen to opera as well)
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Certain parts -- and then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around

Also: @Elfboy, you should have a listen to @Burning Rave's links. That was a good variety -- although it was almost entirely recent rock, and the sort of rock to be on rock radio and not hit radio. (I got warm fuzzies when I saw "It's Been A While" in there Brings back memories...)

I also agree with @animenagai about different types of rock appealing to me for different reasons*, and I agree with @Southern Kross about prog rock being a good possibility. Here's some more prog for you to try out:
    [YOUTUBE="zqx_egzW6js"]Celtic-ish prog[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="CN11bI1_sZo"]Anglican prog[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="X84ZHSj2JnQ"]Fascist prog[/YOUTUBE]

Also, if you like operatic vocals, there are a lot of operatic symphonic metal bands out there, with opera singers doing lead vocals. Trying to think of some... Obviously Evanescence is the most mainstream of them, but there are more. (There's also the soundtrack to "Repo! the Genetic Opera", which I don't like but I know a lot of theatre types who do.)

*an abridged version of my personal list:
    - Alt-rock/alt-metal/grunge (e.g. Soundgarden, Seether, Tool), because everyone had their go-to genre when they were alienated middle schoolers, and that was mine. It appealed to me then because of the rage and resentment (I related to it and found it cathartic); also, I had friends who listened to it too, and I found my local rock station to be the most reliably appealing station in town. Now I listen to it for a lesser version of the previous reason (i.e. I can still be resentful and angry but not so much anymore), as well as nostalgia. EDIT: It has also consistently appealed to me because it is the exact opposite of what appeals to me least in music: sappy/cheesy ballads. I can stand most music, but I honest to God want to gag when people play me Celine Dion, etc.
    (Side note: Even the bad stuff of that genre (e.g. Shinedown, Nickelback) appeals to me, because if I'm going to listen to music with my brain shut off, I'd rather that it be bad rock, than bad rap. Bad rock doesn't offend me in the same way that bad hit radio does.
    - Progressive rock (e.g. Yes) and progressive metal (e.g. Tool). I just love how creative and complicated it is. I love that it pushes boundaries, I love that the lyrics are so well-thought-out and the time signatures change and the musicianship is so consistently impressive.
    - Certain indie rock, because of songwriting and creativity. e.g. I like Sufjan Stevens because of his instrumentation and because he's the only good Christian rock musician that I know of; the others ime are generic and horribly boring.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    starts with the toe tappin'
    then it just takes over
    booty bass shakity shake shake
    shimmy shimmy
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I like rock music because when opera radio stations call October "Rocktober" it just doesn't have the same appeal.
    Plus you can't really do this to opera. (I should note that I actually do listen to opera as well)
    yeah, but to opera you can move like this. if you move like an opera singer to contemporary music, people just call you a snob, but I don't think there is anything snobby about wanting to move like a diva =P
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

You know you can like both opera and rock, right? Just ask Freddie Mercury.

Music is just intelligent arranged noise. Some more intelligent than others. Learn how to play an instrument (if you don't.. and I assume you don't.. most people who prefer specific genres don't), and you'll see the arrangements behind many varying pieces as being similar. A C note, a chorus, and a bridge will always be what they are, no matter how they're presented. It's the same systems at work underneath.