• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rant on "Die Hard 5..."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I came across this article similar to this one yesterday about the release of the new Die Hard film, which is called A Good Day to Die Hard.

Now, I think that Live Free or Die Hard, directed by Len Weisman of the Underworld franchise, was a fantastic sequel (probably the best of the sequels, and yes, it was a sequel, not a reboot), considering the franchise had jumped the shark halfway through the second movie with that whole ejector seat thing, but sending John McClane to Russia? Come on!

And to add to the incident, the fifth film will be directed by John Moore, who directed the movie adaptation of Max Payne, which although captured the visual essence of the video game and had the superb casting choice of Mark Wahlberg as the title character, was a depressing letdown in virtually every other respect. I sincerely hoped it would be the greatest video game adaptation ever (which means it would probably only have to be better than Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or Silent Hill), especially since the video game had such a cinematic premise.

The only redeeming quality I foresee is that maybe this installment will get an R rating, so that McClane can say his famous line without being muffled by a gunshot. (And thank God for director's cuts.) And it should also recycle more of Michael Kamen's score. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he can't still be useful.

I would've also preferred the title Old Habits Die Hard.

PS: They should one day make a Die Hard film with Hans Gruber's daughter or something.

KDude

No Die Hard movie can go wrong.

And I liked the second one. I didn't a long time ago though. It's an acquired taste.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked the first two, actually, and the 3 & 4 were worse (I felt like #4 was really a step down). I have no real interest in a fifth, based on that, and the idea is stale at this point.

wolfy

awsm
I liked all the movies, one and four the best. I don't know about five, I'll wait and see.

Lark

I would've also preferred the title Old Habits Die Hard.

PS: They should one day make a Die Hard film with Hans Gruber's daughter or something.

I actually think there's a clue in the titles at this point, the movies are nearly total pastiches or spoofs of one another or the whole premise.

The first movie was great, classic, the second was alright, the third was as good as the first and is stand alone brilliant and the fourth should have just been a generic actioner, with any other actor, without belonging to the franchise, it was unnecessary.

Actually if they paired up the first and third and the others disappeared that would be alright.

KDude

I actually think there's a clue in the titles at this point, the movies are nearly total pastiches or spoofs of one another or the whole premise.

The first movie was great, classic, the second was alright, the third was as good as the first and is stand alone brilliant and the fourth should have just been a generic actioner, with any other actor, without belonging to the franchise, it was unnecessary.

Actually if they paired up the first and third and the others disappeared that would be alright.
While I could understand some not liking 4, I don't see why it's generic action. It's not every day that you see someone launch a car into a helicopter. It's so stupid, it's awesome. Also, most movies that would do something so stupid wouldn't have the money to make it look as cool.

I also liked that he's basically Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon now. "I'm getting too old for this shit."

Lark

While I could understand some not liking 4, I don't see why it's generic action. It's not every day that you see someone launch a car into a helicopter. It's so stupid, it's awesome. Also, most movies that would do something so stupid wouldn't have the money to make it look as cool.

I also liked that he's basically Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon now. "I'm getting too old for this shit."

Those are the things which make it generic action, the other films, well, two was a bit of a stretch and they acknowledge the unlikeliness of it in the script itself, which was amusing, are part of a sequence.

Did four have to be a McClain movie? Nope. Had it anything to do with the other movies? Nope. If you took out Willis and put in a different actor, very slightly different backstory etc. would it have been the same movie? Yup.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1 > 3 > 2 >> 4

I agree with the above poster.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I worry that they're going to "Expendables" it.

KDude

I worry that they're going to "Expendables" it.

I've never seen that. I'm tempted. It has Mickey Rourke, after all.

And I'm possibly the only person on earth who thinks Sylvester Stallone is an intelligent man. A genius even.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never seen that. I'm tempted. It has Mickey Rourke, after all.

And I'm possibly the only person on earth who thinks Sylvester Stallone is an intelligent man. A genius even.

Sly *is* a smart guy, and one of my favorite movies ever is "Rocky" (which we all know is miles above any over movie he may even attempt to do because it was such a masterpiece). HOWEVER, it's awful. The movie is just AWFUL, and I can really dig bad action movies. This one isn't even enjoyably bad. I watched it because I haz Dolph Lundgren fandom as well, and he did just fine. It was Sylvester Stallone's lips that ruined it. His face doesn't move. And he looks like someone used a black Sharpie on his eyebrows and beard. Everyone in the movie seems to have forgotten how to act (if they ever knew how, but Stallone has no excuse, and neither does Mickey).

Just brace yourself to be let down. I was sadface. :(

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heck, if it's already there, I say go for it! Jason Statham throws himself around quite admirably, and Eric Roberts has a few funny lines.

KDude

Heck, if it's already there, I say go for it! Jason Statham throws himself around quite admirably, and Eric Roberts has a few funny lines.

Damn, Eric Roberts is in it too?

Another underrated genius.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The newest generation has discovered in him the perfect villain.

Observe!