Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Rant on "Die Hard 5..."

I came across this article similar to this one yesterday about the release of the new Die Hard film, which is called A Good Day to Die Hard.

Now, I think that Live Free or Die Hard, directed by Len Weisman of the Underworld franchise, was a fantastic sequel (probably the best of the sequels, and yes, it was a sequel, not a reboot), considering the franchise had jumped the shark halfway through the second movie with that whole ejector seat thing, but sending John McClane to Russia? Come on!

And to add to the incident, the fifth film will be directed by John Moore, who directed the movie adaptation of Max Payne, which although captured the visual essence of the video game and had the superb casting choice of Mark Wahlberg as the title character, was a depressing letdown in virtually every other respect. I sincerely hoped it would be the greatest video game adaptation ever (which means it would probably only have to be better than Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or Silent Hill), especially since the video game had such a cinematic premise.

The only redeeming quality I foresee is that maybe this installment will get an R rating, so that McClane can say his famous line without being muffled by a gunshot. (And thank God for director's cuts.) And it should also recycle more of Michael Kamen's score. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he can't still be useful.

I would've also preferred the title Old Habits Die Hard.

PS: They should one day make a Die Hard film with Hans Gruber's daughter or something.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    In which John McClane goes undercover to take on a group of terrorist nuns.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

No Die Hard movie can go wrong.

And I liked the second one. I didn't a long time ago though. It's an acquired taste.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I liked the first two, actually, and the 3 & 4 were worse (I felt like #4 was really a step down). I have no real interest in a fifth, based on that, and the idea is stale at this point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I liked all the movies, one and four the best. I don't know about five, I'll wait and see.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post

PS: They should one day make a Die Hard film with Hans Gruber's daughter or something.
    I actually think there's a clue in the titles at this point, the movies are nearly total pastiches or spoofs of one another or the whole premise.

The first movie was great, classic, the second was alright, the third was as good as the first and is stand alone brilliant and the fourth should have just been a generic actioner, with any other actor, without belonging to the franchise, it was unnecessary.

Actually if they paired up the first and third and the others disappeared that would be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I actually think there's a clue in the titles at this point, the movies are nearly total pastiches or spoofs of one another or the whole premise.

The first movie was great, classic, the second was alright, the third was as good as the first and is stand alone brilliant and the fourth should have just been a generic actioner, with any other actor, without belonging to the franchise, it was unnecessary.

Actually if they paired up the first and third and the others disappeared that would be alright.
    While I could understand some not liking 4, I don't see why it's generic action. It's not every day that you see someone launch a car into a helicopter. It's so stupid, it's awesome. Also, most movies that would do something so stupid wouldn't have the money to make it look as cool.

I also liked that he's basically Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon now. "I'm getting too old for this shit."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    While I could understand some not liking 4, I don't see why it's generic action. It's not every day that you see someone launch a car into a helicopter. It's so stupid, it's awesome. Also, most movies that would do something so stupid wouldn't have the money to make it look as cool.

I also liked that he's basically Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon now. "I'm getting too old for this shit."
    Those are the things which make it generic action, the other films, well, two was a bit of a stretch and they acknowledge the unlikeliness of it in the script itself, which was amusing, are part of a sequence.

Did four have to be a McClain movie? Nope. Had it anything to do with the other movies? Nope. If you took out Willis and put in a different actor, very slightly different backstory etc. would it have been the same movie? Yup.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

1 > 3 > 2 >> 4

I agree with the above poster.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would like to see the return of Carl Winslow.