• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying with fictional characters

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re: the conversation on the previous page... When there are a limited number of characters to choose from, you can get some weird combos. e.g. in "Community", I'm probably half Abed and half Shirley. :wtf:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I've never heard of that game but I looked it up and was pretty surprised lol. A giant robot-looking guy and a sweet pacifist girl? You must have a very interesting personality to say the least! n_n

Heh, that's quite flattering. Thanks. :blush:

They're both kind of subdued and non-confrontational, though, so there's a common denominator.

/tangent

Mole

Permabanned
Becoming a tree

this character is such a Victor

There is identifying with a character and becoming a character.

Becoming a character is much more exciting. We loose ourselves and completely become the character, responding initiating and feeling as the character does.

I have the facility to become a character and find it an ecstatic experience but I am surprised few others wish to loose themselves in such a way. I guess loosing oneself is such a threatening experience it mobilises all our defence mechanisms. And the only ones who can loose themselves and become a character are those with very strong egos, for we need the strength, not only to leave our ego, but we also need the strength to return to our ego intact.

I live in an urban forest of 700,000 trees of all species, so every now and then I become a tree.

Nicki

Retired
There is identifying with a character and becoming a character.

Becoming a character is much more exciting. We loose ourselves and completely become the character, responding initiating and feeling as the character does.

I have the facility to become a character and find it an ecstatic experience but I am surprised few others wish to loose themselves in such a way. I guess loosing oneself is such a threatening experience it mobilises all our defence mechanisms. And the only ones who can loose themselves and become a character are those with very strong egos, for we need the strength, not only to leave our ego, but we also need the strength to return to our ego intact.

I live in an urban forest of 700,000 trees of all species, so every now and then I become a tree.

That was beautiful.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about the poet should grow the tree of dreams expanding to infinity!

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Normally I'm more interested in the plot and what the characters do than empathising with them, but when a character strikes me as being particularly me-ish, it really catches my interest, because that doesn't happen often.

The interplay between Trevor Goodchild and Aeon Flux was a pretty interesting exploration of my internal conflicts, but I s'pose the point of the show was examining them because there's something of Trevor and Aeon in all of us. Me, more of Trevor, but just as captivated by life's Aeons.

Mm, other characters that struck a chord include Huey Freeman (the way he's defined by a frustrated, long-suffering but still intense idealism), Olivier Mira Armstrong (represents the kind of strength and confidence I want to have), Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (her critical nature, perfectionism and "vitriolic best buds" relationship with Usagi are very me), and Jane Lane (who's detached and snarky like Daria, but more open to intimacy and less naturally sure of herself).

Yeah, I tend to identify more with cartoon characters than those in books, live action TV or movies. Don't know what's up with that. I think they're easier to project on.

W

WALMART

I almost exclusively identify with strong willed, principled, skillful loner types.

Chivalrous knights, lawmen gunslingers, Japanese samurai.... sigh. They're all so romantic.

Murrdogg

How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?

I've only identified myself with one character out of a book or movie: Batman. Me and Batman have quite a few similarities. I am a rational problem solver. I've had a traumatic past that has driven me to help good people and hurt the bad. My past turned me into a young boy who was alone and turned me into what I wouldn't have been. Whenever it comes to a fight, I use mind games such as letting them get a shot in and act as if it had no effect. I have a bit of an interest in science and a larger interest in gadgets and inventions. I can always think of what will happen in the future, whether near or far. I am also one for symbolic & archetypal connections. I can see the light side and dark side in everyone. I am individualistic and do things my own way, no matter what others say. And , as crazy as it may sound, my desires to help good and my anger toward criminals even caused me to plan out vigilante explorations. You may see me as crazy, but I'm interesting.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've only identified myself with one character out of a book or movie: Batman. Me and Batman have quite a few similarities.
What impact has it had on you to note the similarity between yourself and this character? Have you found it helpful in any way, or simply interesting, amusing, etc.?

Murrdogg

What impact has it had on you to note the similarity between yourself and this character? Have you found it helpful in any way, or simply interesting, amusing, etc.?

It's been helpful because when I'd be in a dark place, I can always look at what this character would do in certain situations as a guide. I'm basically a hero among the damaged and devilish in my life. My own family is filled with people that frankly disgust me on a moral level. I see this connection as something to aspire to being: A man who does what he believes is right and never becoming what he despises. I try to do that and encourage others to do the same.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My friends and I used to put ourselves in the role of a certain character every time we watched a movie for fun. I remember when we watched Pokemon the Movie 2000, we all figured out which character we would be for the rest of the movie and we would make little comments like "God damn Chandler, you're such a bitch" or "Wow Ruby, look at you being a Pokemon master." I remember my one friend with a voice lower than you could ever imagine did the Pokemon voices when they talked. I'm pretty sure I died of laughter that night. :laugh:

But that was light stuff. Most of the time when I've seriously identified with characters, they've turned out to be ENFP (or at least they could be viably typed as ENFP imo) such as Izzie Stevens from Grey's Anatomy, Phoebe from Friends, Jess from New Girl, Starfire from Teen Titans, etc. I do see a lot of myself in them, the last three being very bouncy and quirky and Izzie caring a lot about her set of values and acting on her emotions. But it never really affected me that greatly. I thought it was more fun to tell people "oh yeah, we have the same personality type."

There are two fictional ENFPs from my childhood, however, that could have very well influenced who I am today. Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura and Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service. They're both magical beings and break the barriers of reality. They both soar in the skies on a magic wand/broom. They're both the protagonists of the anime they're from. Back when I was a little kid, they definitely could have helped form who I am today. They weren't really people I idolized when I was younger, but looking back they do have flaws they see in myself and have traits that I admire/wish I could have (flying would be an awesome traits to have...) and I definitely learned a lot of lessons from Kiki that I still follow today. :) So if I had to identify with a fictional character it'd probably be one of those two.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Read through the whole thread because it is delightful. :) This doesn't happen to me very often, though, like some people here, I do have my feelers out for characters like myself when I read. Maybe my threshold is a little high, but when I do find that rare character, it's wonderfully eerie and special.

And all those fictional FPs who annoy you so much? Not like the real thing at all. Oh, man. That has annoyed me longer than you even want to know! Since I was a kid, I would think, hey, they're a lot like me...if someone took a giant polishing cloth to me and rubbed all the reality and blind spots and little issues off. It doesn't even matter what type they are; an important character who could not exist in real life (settings and plots can be as weird as they please!) is the fastest way to cast me out of a story.