User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can't think of any I identify with very much. I love many, many fictional characters and faithful sidekicks always have a special place in my heart. I'm not sure if it's because I identify with them or because I admire them. Wait, I think I do identify with them, but most of the ones I identify with are men, some of whom are gay. I had not noticed that before.
    Do they seem to share your type? I found this to be the case with most characters I identify strongly with, and that it overrides most other distinctions (sex, family situation, occupation, education level, etc).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Do they seem to share your type? I found this to be the case with most characters I identify strongly with, and that it overrides most other distinctions (sex, family situation, occupation, education level, etc).
    I'd say I??J, but not necessarily NF. Basically, they are quiet and gentle and do a lot of the grunt work so their friend can focus on saving/running the world, or whatever.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I've gone through a few phases of relating to fictional characters but end up finding out more of them and realizing that they're still not very similar to me. I think the closest one I've found so far is Haruhi Suzumiya, main failing in that connection being her..... err, assertiveness (though that might be a good thing for the universe if you know what I mean )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Socionics
    POOp

I actively try to find a character I can identify with in any given media I'm watching or reading. I like finding a character I feel represents myself and helps me relate better to the setting and story. I also like identifying characters with people I know, such as "this character is such a Victor", because I guess it makes things more real and relatable to me.

That being said, it isn't necessary for my enjoyment. I think it's rather that I try to put myself in other people's shoes anyways, in real life and fiction. I like examining people and trying to relate to them, so me finding characters that remind me of myself or that I see the people I know in is more of a side-effect than a goal. I've always been able to find a character I identify in pretty much everything I see because I'm pretty open to understanding all types of people.

Even if a story is about an all-male group of soldiers, if it's well-written enough to have contrasting characters I can probably find a soldier to identify with.

Fiction is very much an experience for me and I like to fully absorb myself in the world that the story is creating. Acting is a major passion for me, so I think that urge to disassociate from myself and disappear into a character just manifests itself whenever I'm involved enough in a work of fiction.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?
    I over the years I have identified with several, but after analytical thought just a scarce number remain. The ones that I can truly identify with.
    There's a duality to your post. Your question is like a mirror in a mirror. I surely notice limited aspects of characters that I can put myself next to in a given situation as the same type of fixed behavior that I would display under those specific circumstances.

I've enjoyed reading, watching TV shows and movies my whole life, but after all this time of digesting different worlds, I've still only 'really' identified with the same number of characters that you may count on one hand. Most of them are antagonists even if I consider myself a protagonist in the lives that my being effect.

What I mean by really identifying with a character is that you don't have to strip away their raison d'être in order to do so. Their hopes, wishes, dreams and goals would remain in them as in me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I tend to strongly identify with characters I have an affinity with -- usually characters that have similar philosophies or quirks as I do, and normally that I find cool. It's how I pick my forum avatars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dieValkyrie View Post
    I actively try to find a character I can identify with in any given media I'm watching or reading. I like finding a character I feel represents myself and helps me relate better to the setting and story. I also like identifying characters with people I know, such as "this character is such a Victor", because I guess it makes things more real and relatable to me.
    Heh, I relate to that. Also, sometimes, I can see two characters and imagine myself as a "blend" of them. Pretty peculiar, I guess.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Socionics
    POOp

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Heh, I relate to that. Also, sometimes, I can see two characters and imagine myself as a "blend" of them. Pretty peculiar, I guess.
    Interesting. I was going to say I don't think I've done that before, but then I remember that I'm torn between Buffy and Anya for character I relate to most from BtVS. On the one hand I have an intense sense of obligation and duty that Buffy feels, but I'm also very quirky and strange like Anya.

Also, I'm pretty sure if Liz Lemon and Jenna Maroney had a baby, it would be me. I have so many certain traits from both of them and I even look like a blend of them (a blonde with black-rimmed glasses).

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dieValkyrie View Post
    Interesting. I was going to say I don't think I've done that before, but then I remember that I'm torn between Buffy and Anya for character I relate to most from BtVS. On the one hand I have an intense sense of obligation and duty that Buffy feels, but I'm also very quirky and strange like Anya.

Also, I'm pretty sure if Liz Lemon and Jenna Maroney had a baby, it would be me. I have so many certain traits from both of them and I even look like a blend of them (a blonde with black-rimmed glasses).
    Yeah, it's sort of a fun "game". Right now I'm playing VLR and I consider myself 55% K / 45% Luna.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Socionics
    POOp

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Yeah, it's sort of a fun "game". Right now I'm playing VLR and I consider myself 55% K / 45% Luna.
    I've never heard of that game but I looked it up and was pretty surprised lol. A giant robot-looking guy and a sweet pacifist girl? You must have a very interesting personality to say the least! n_n