User Tag List

First 56789 Last

I hate INFP protagonists but oddly enough, I relate so much to ISFPs. INTJs too, which are quite rare. It's nice to see a character with a thought out, long-term plan every once in a while.

Hermione was my role model when I was younger though, and she always will be. I relate so much to Harry Potter though because of his characterization and Fi.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Recently I discovered Les Mis*, and I relate a LOT to Javert, for similar reasons, i.e. his thought processes, his internal conflict. A general sense of, if my life had gone that direction -- i.e. if I'd been that misguided -- maybe I would have ended up somewhere similar.
    As much as I have always liked Les Miserables, I see no INTJs in it. Closest might be Enjolras who I suspect is ENTJ. Your thoughts regarding Javert are similar to mine sometimes about INTJ characters.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As much as I have always liked Les Miserables, I see no INTJs in it. Closest might be Enjolras who I suspect is ENTJ. Your thoughts regarding Javert are similar to mine sometimes about INTJ characters.
    Yep! He's one of the most ISTJ characters there is. Most of the villains I relate to are Knights Templar, just trying to do the right thing, but doing it horrifically wrong -- and usually those characters are STJ.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ

Why not? Is there something inherent about the type that makes this bad in a literary sense?

Some would characterize the American colonists that way, once the revolution started. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. I like rebels who champion causes I would support, most of which concern civil liberties and social justice. A good example is the student rebels in Les Miserables. They certainly lived in a time and place where many inequities in society needed to be addressed, but their revolt was nothing more than a mass suicide. I never got much into the Star Wars story, so none of this is a commentary on that. It always seemed more like a war between political factions to me, rather than a true rebellion.
    It was a war between political factions. Supporters of Jedi and supporters of Sith.

The Jedi weren't saints by any means but the Sith were entirely murderous and only wanted to wipe out every Jedi. The Sith were in fact so murderous that there ended up being a rule among them that only two Sith Lords could exist at one time, Master and Apprentice. Otherwise unfathomable backstabbery ensues.

Even when Palpatine had Dooku and Anakin at the same time, they ended up being pitted against each other in the end - Anakin executes Dooku in anger after he'd already been defeated and begins down his dark path, becoming a promising apprentice to Palpatine, and ultimately becoming Darth Vader.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yep! He's one of the most ISTJ characters there is. Most of the villains I relate to are Knights Templar, just trying to do the right thing, but doing it horrifically wrong -- and usually those characters are STJ.
    I checked out your Knights Templar - interesting site. My preference is Good is not Nice.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I checked out your Knights Templar - interesting site.
    I find it very useful in my everyday life. Its terminology makes discussion of genre tropes (and types of characters) a lot quicker and easier. For example, I could spend several paragraphs explaining the character of Mr. Bates from "Downton Abbey", or I could just call him a Stoic Woobie and The Atoner.
    My preference is Good is not Nice.
    In general, or as a villain?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can't think of any I identify with very much. I love many, many fictional characters and faithful sidekicks always have a special place in my heart. I'm not sure if it's because I identify with them or because I admire them. Wait, I think I do identify with them, but most of the ones I identify with are men, some of whom are gay. I had not noticed that before.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The best and most epic fictional character of all time!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I find it very useful in my everyday life. Its terminology makes discussion of genre tropes (and types of characters) a lot quicker and easier. For example, I could spend several paragraphs explaining the character of Mr. Bates from "Downton Abbey", or I could just call him a Stoic Woobie and The Atoner.
    That assumes, though, that you are speaking with people who are familiar with these terms. I would have to look them up.

In general, or as a villain?
    The whole premise of "good but not nice" is that the person is fundamentally good, so I would suspect this is rare for a villain, unless it is a villain who has some change of heart and mends his/her ways. Antiheroes sometimes take this form. I especially enjoy characters with moral ambiguity, where it isn't clear which side they are really on, at least until the story resolves itself. (There is a "nice but not good" that seems more suited to villains.)