User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I tend to identify with fictional characters more than real people.
    I've had other people point that out in discussions of this topic. I suppose it is especially true for people who are surrounded by people unlike them. We also often get to learn more about fictional characters and how they operate.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I've had other people point that out in discussions of this topic. I suppose it is especially true for people who are surrounded by people unlike them. We also often get to learn more about fictional characters and how they operate.
    I think this is especially true for shy or unsocial people, since they probably know more fictional characters than real people as a whole (not counting celebrities).
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Reviving this thread, b/c the subject was on my mind recently, and also the topic continues to be awesome and interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is very true. Depending on the character and the length/depth of the work in which they're featured, it can be a lot easier to fangirl/fanboy over them, learn everything about them, and feel like you have a closer/deeper knowledge of them than of most real people in your life. Which is why so many people become obsessed with fictional characters almost to the point of real love -- and why you get fictional works (and bits of mythology) in which people's characters and/or works of art become real and fall in love with their maker. Old example: Pygmalion and Galatea; New example: Ruby Sparks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I think this is especially true for shy or unsocial people, since they probably know more fictional characters than real people as a whole (not counting celebrities).
    True! It's keeping that sx-style emotional closeness without having to take part in human interaction. Of course, it's probably also a coping mechanism; after all, closeness with fictional characters can never, ever be a sufficient substitute for the real thing.

Back to the OP and other such things... I said earlier that the characters I most relate to are Beatrix from "FFIX" and Hermione from the "Harry Potter" series -- both female, both ISTJ, both likely type 1. A newer addition to this very short list is Castiel from "Supernatural" (again, ISTJ 1w2, but male this time). I've become a bit obsessed with recently because I want to be him when I grow up. Same values, similar mode of thinking, but when he's given a chance to act on those values, he acts on them with valor, selflessness, and total trenchcoated badassery. (On the other hand, he's incredibly awkward... But nobody's perfect!)

I wish there were more cool ESTJ women in fiction... I can't count the number of books I read, growing up, where the most sympathetic character was an IxFx girl/woman that I didn't relate to at all. All my fictional role models ended up being Introverted Thinking men, because the touchy-feely Girl Power heroines didn't do much for me.

Edit: I seem to have said it much better earlier in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Typical female role models in movies can still really irritate me; their strength is Feeler strength, not Thinker strength, and I identify with Thinker strength.
    Edit 2: Did the people on this thread come to a conclusion about why INTJs always relate to villains?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I wish there were more cool ESTJ women in fiction... I can't count the number of books I read, growing up, where the most sympathetic character was an IxFx girl/woman that I didn't relate to at all. All my fictional role models ended up being Introverted Thinking men, because the touchy-feely Girl Power heroines didn't do much for me.
    Too many stories have few worthwhile female characters of any type. Finding INTJ or even NT ones is even less likely. I have just always automatically identified with the male ones. It never mattered that they were male. The commonality of thinking styles, approach to the world, and the way I would just instantly grasp their internal perspective overrode the difference in sex, or any other differences for that matter.

Edit 2: Did the people on this thread come to a conclusion about why INTJs always relate to villains?
    No, but the question was never explicitly posed. I suspect part of it is not so much that INTJs identify with villains, but that we often identify with INTJ characters, and they are often found among villains and antiheroes. I can't identify with a hero/protagonist just because they are the "good guy". If they are not the kind of good guy I would be in that situation, there is no rapport. With an (INTJ) villain, on the other hand, I might know I wouldn't make the same choices they did, but I might understand much better their motivations, how they see things, even how they feel in the various situations. Sometimes, though, the difference between me and them is mainly in their background and circumstances. As someone (you?) mentioned, they often have faced much more extreme problems and dire choices in their fictional lives than I ever will.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I identify with Mole in, "Wind in the Willows". I am a little short sighted, and I would like to be more like my friend the breezy Water Rat, but I feel most at home with Badger who knows the safety, privacy and comfort of living underground like me.

I wear a lovely smoking coat, I am terrified of the Weasels and the Stoats, and I admire my friend Mr Toad.

Sometimes I wonder what type I am and what are the types of my lovely friends Ratty, Badger, Toad and Otter, and sometimes I think of joining Typology Central and finding out, but I am a bit put out by Victor, like many here, but perhaps I could slip in without him noticing - just between you and me, you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I identify with Mole in, "Wind in the Willows". I am a little short sighted, and I would like to be more like my friend the breezy Water Rat, but I feel most at home with Badger who knows the safety, privacy and comfort of living underground like me.

I wear a lovely smoking coat, I am terrified of the Weasels and the Stoats, and I admire my friend Mr Toad.

Sometimes I wonder what type I am and what are the types of my lovely friends Ratty, Badger, Toad and Otter, and sometimes I think of joining Typology Central and finding out, but I am a bit put out by Victor, like many here, but perhaps I could slip in without him noticing - just between you and me, you understand.
    Don't worry, man. I got your back. This Victor guy sounds like a menace.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Fictional characters are often great for helping us define our sense of self. Either in terms of who we want to be like, who we dont want to be like, or which traits they have we do/dont want. Having the character you admire be the same gender as you does provide some identifying/idealizing lube I think. Especially if this character shows traits positively that wouldnt normally be associated to his/her gender. If those traits are our own naturally, and we feel society tells us to disown them, thats greatly legitimizing. Thats how certain commonly used character tropes begin to become oppressive - an idealized mold is created that might not truly be the ideal for humans to be. But you already knew this.

Personally I dont feel I identify with characters like myself, but characters who represent (preferably to the extreme) certain traits I see in me (in lesser or greater amounts, that I desire more or less of). This is how I can identify as villains/badguys in fiction and yet still consider myself a "good" guy. Im INTP, I think, rather than INTJ. But when it comes to identifying with the villains in fiction its usually because the hero is so unlike me. Take you typical 80s 90s hollywood action movie. The villain is likely to be intelligent, well spoken, organised...simply impressive. The hero is likely to be a meat sandwich with super-power granting elephant balls swinging between his legs. The villain is usually passionate about some cause that is truly his own. The hero simply represents the normalized morality of society. That morality might *be* right. But its boring. And it makes him a simple character.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Sometimes I will see traits that i have with the character, but when reading or watching a movie i don't think i ever felt like I was the character. There are a few characters that i have been a few characters i really related too, like Jay Gatsby in The Great Gatsby and Lester Burnam from American Beauty.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

I've noticed a disturbing trend of identifying with the supposed "evil empire" in basically all media that I interact with.
    I'm a big fan of the Empire in Star Wars, the UNSC in Halo, the Britannians in Code Geass, the Federation in Starship Troopers (book and movie), the corporate marines in Avatar, anything and anyone that has a group of plucky non-conventional rebels fighting against it.

Maybe it's because in the land of fiction, they're the real underdogs?

Maybe it's because I appreciate having a master plan?

I don't know. But I identify a great deal with any character who supports the Big Bad Empire and its rule of law over abandoning that for the Good, Great Rebels.

I also tend to identify more with strong female leads. This is odd as well.

And @Coriolis is right. There aren't many "good-guy" INTJs out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Maybe it's because I appreciate having a master plan?

I don't know. But I identify a great deal with any character who supports the Big Bad Empire and its rule of law over abandoning that for the Good, Great Rebels.

I also tend to identify more with strong female leads. This is odd as well.

And @Coriolis is right. There aren't many "good-guy" INTJs out there.
    Can you give some examples of the strong female leads you identify with? Do you see any as INTJ, or does that even matter (do you tend to identify with your own type)?

Yes, master plans are great, especially when the planner has the discipline to implement it properly. I tend to identify with the values of the rebels in these stories, but cringe at their methods. They are usually disorganized, undisciplined, and can't plan their way out of a paper bag. They prevail through a fortuitous combination of coincidence, spontaneous acts of daring, errors/defection from the "villain" side, and "sheer dumb luck". You have to go back to old shows like (original) Mission Impossible and even Hogan's Heroes for good guy groups who could implement a decent plan.