User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

A lot of characters that I "identify with" aren't all that similar to me at all, but I can see where they're coming from. Which is rarer than you'd think, because I tend to have a problem with "illogical" characters in movies/books/TV -- not that they're illogical but that thinking that is my first instinct, because I can't relate to them. (This is much more of a problem for me with female characters than male characters, and 99% of the time the problem is with romantic heroines, in movies or books.) So when I really relate to a character's thought processes easily, that's a moment to be savored.

Almost always, the characters I identify with are thinkers -- and usually introverted thinkers. Often they're moody and dark, and usually they're the love interest to the character that I'm SUPPOSED to identify with. e.g. Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre".

The only character that I've read/seen and gone "That is ME" was Hermione Granger. Which makes sense, since for the entire series she was roughly my age, similar appearance (not to Emma Watson, but to the description in the book), just as academic and perfectionistic, tough, assertive... and xSTJ.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

What about video game characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    lol.. i identify with Leliana from Dragon Age. Except I'm not a cute redhead. More about her past worldiness, violence, and the musician background. And then turning 180 to a boring, secluded religious life because deadly assassins were after her. Yeah, that all happened to me too. Kind of. Heh

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

I identify with Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    lol.. i identify with Leliana from Dragon Age. Except I'm not a cute redhead. More about her past worldiness, violence, and the musician background. And then turning 180 to a boring, secluded religious life because deadly assassins were after her. Yeah, that all happened to me too. Kind of. Heh

I identify with Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. lol
    I'm not sure who to feel sorry for more now. You or me.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX.

EDIT: I guess I should elaborate...
    I relate to her because she is kind underneath a cold/facts-only exterior -- but shows her kindness fairly often. Characters like her often only show their kindness every once and a while, but with Beatrix you can see that she cares openly (but not in an Fe way) for those close to her (e.g. Garnet, Steiner). And she does this without losing any of her badassery OR her femininity!

I also relate to her thought processes when conflicted, i.e. Always doing your duty -- and if the duty you are given by others doesn't mesh well with your moral code, then you STILL do your duty, only it's the duty you assign yourself.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see?
    All the time. I don't have to, though; some stories don't have any characters I find myself nodding and saying "yeah, that's so me", but I still enjoy them.

Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were?
    Characters that I identify with? Oh yeah, definitely similar; characters who present a mask to the outer world, but inside, tend to be secretive, dramatic, passionate, introspective, and cynical. Those are the characters I identify with the most, and that's me to a T. I also, 99% of the time, identify with the villains, or anti-heroes of the story far more than the regular heroes, as those characters tend to fit those criteria far more often. They almost always have a backstory similar to mine, though admittedly, theirs is more interesting (for now; I have quite a number of years to go, though ).

What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?
    It's more or less like I'd say "yeah, that's exactly what I'd do right there". It's almost like living vicariously through the character, and the more similar to you the character happens to be, the more you enjoy being in their shoes. It's pretty useful, if you find yourself identifying with the types of characters that have an interesting life, as it can inspire you to go and do the things you've found yourself dreaming of doing in real life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I don't relate to fictional characters very often. So when I do, I tend to get really attached to that character.

I remember really, really relating to Harry Potter and never being able to figure out why. God knows I'm no hotheaded messiah. But there you have it. JK Rowling must have done something right.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I am not a fictional character. Although you can all identify with me if you like. I'm cool with that.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    It's more or less like I'd say "yeah, that's exactly what I'd do right there". It's almost like living vicariously through the character, and the more similar to you the character happens to be, the more you enjoy being in their shoes. It's pretty useful, if you find yourself identifying with the types of characters that have an interesting life, as it can inspire you to go and do the things you've found yourself dreaming of doing in real life.
    Hmmm. In my case, that could be dangerous. Some of the characters I relate to, one in particular, are not very healthy types. One of the characters I most strongly identify with is so unhealthy that I'm almost a little embarrassed. Yeah, it's an anti-hero, and most people identify with an anti-hero because we've all been victimized at least once in our lives and secretly enjoy the idea of retribution. But this is more than admiration of a character's badassery. It's personality, backstory, a whole bunch of things. At least I can safely say I'm healthier at this point - I haven't snapped and started killing people, for one thing. But I do have a rather pathetic history of turning that violence against myself. Ugh.