Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default The West is Wild

I've seen three absolutely fantastic films set in the SouthWest in the past five years.

The most recent of course being True Grit ...this Johnny Cash song is also badass.

Then There Will Be Blood

And No Country for Old Men

What are some of your favorite movies about the American SouthWest? They don't have to be Westerns, per se, it could be anything that hinges on the setting and being told specifically in this part of the world.

FigerPuppet

Deadwood.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUVTkr-A4Ak&feature=related"]Wu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAcu-1dlPM&feature=related"]Cock[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i loved there will be blood and no country for old men, true grit didn't get me that interested though. not sure why.
    oh speaking of the coen brothers i love raising arizona too.

people call west oakland the wild wild west. i kinda thought this thread was gonna be about california when i clicked.

WALMART

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of my all-time favorites. If I am allowed an extension, the entire Dollars trilogy is superb.

All of these flicks are related with horror and psychology stuff.

Permabanned

Once upon a time in the west and the good the bad and ugly are great.

MBTI
    XSFX
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

Well the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a great one for sure. It's possible that it's only the name that creates this presence of Texas, because I don't really know much about the accents and that sort of things. However it settles firmly in the hixploitation tradition which deals with inbred rednecks, maybe a sort of extremely and even self-consciously one-sided view of Texas that's in culture, and this addition to the name creates maybe some feel of southwest.

Paris, Texas is the absolute best drama film I've seen. It's got a genius structure and heaps of Texas photographically. Harry Dean Stanton is a hyperb actor and he's got a great face.

Those are my faves.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of my all-time favorites. If I am allowed an extension, the entire Dollars trilogy is superb.
    I loved these. That scene where Manco meets Mortimer for the first time (A Fistful Of Dollars), with the shooting/taunting in the middle of the road, is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Also loved Don't Come Knocking by Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas was good too- and really, all the scenes shot in the West in his American movies are impressive.)

And Bagdad Cafe is worth a mention.

[eta] Electra Glide in Blue is also worth mentioning, in an "if David Lynch remade one of the Gator movies" kind of way. Though it might not qualify as Western.

[Scenes from Electra Glide in Blue put to Radiohead's Karma Police:]

Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i loved there will be blood and no country for old men, true grit didn't get me that interested though. not sure why.
    Didn't see There Will Be Blood, but NCfOM was very interesting. The remake of True Grit, while the acting was decent, just didn't really have much of a dramatic arc to make it linger with me.

Now I want to dig out Shane again.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Who has seen Django Unchained? I thought it kept meaningless violence to a minimum considering its a Tarentino film, visually its beauty rivals Cold Mountain in some scenes, and the dialect is surprisingly accurate. My grandfather used to say "shitfire."