• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The West is Wild

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've seen three absolutely fantastic films set in the SouthWest in the past five years.

The most recent of course being True Grit ...this Johnny Cash song is also badass.

Then There Will Be Blood

And No Country for Old Men

What are some of your favorite movies about the American SouthWest? They don't have to be Westerns, per se, it could be anything that hinges on the setting and being told specifically in this part of the world.

F

FigerPuppet

Deadwood.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUVTkr-A4Ak&feature=related"]Wu[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAcu-1dlPM&feature=related"]Cock[/YOUTUBE]

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i loved there will be blood and no country for old men, true grit didn't get me that interested though. not sure why.
oh speaking of the coen brothers i love raising arizona too.

people call west oakland the wild wild west. i kinda thought this thread was gonna be about california when i clicked.

W

WALMART

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of my all-time favorites. If I am allowed an extension, the entire Dollars trilogy is superb.

Rocket

MBTI Type
XSFX
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so
Well the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a great one for sure. It's possible that it's only the name that creates this presence of Texas, because I don't really know much about the accents and that sort of things. However it settles firmly in the hixploitation tradition which deals with inbred rednecks, maybe a sort of extremely and even self-consciously one-sided view of Texas that's in culture, and this addition to the name creates maybe some feel of southwest.

Paris, Texas is the absolute best drama film I've seen. It's got a genius structure and heaps of Texas photographically. Harry Dean Stanton is a hyperb actor and he's got a great face.

Those are my faves.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of my all-time favorites. If I am allowed an extension, the entire Dollars trilogy is superb.

I loved these. That scene where Manco meets Mortimer for the first time (A Fistful Of Dollars), with the shooting/taunting in the middle of the road, is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Also loved Don't Come Knocking by Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas was good too- and really, all the scenes shot in the West in his American movies are impressive.)

And Bagdad Cafe is worth a mention.

[eta] Electra Glide in Blue is also worth mentioning, in an "if David Lynch remade one of the Gator movies" kind of way. Though it might not qualify as Western.

[Scenes from Electra Glide in Blue put to Radiohead's Karma Police:]

[video=youtube;bRfVhlxgZZk].[/video]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i loved there will be blood and no country for old men, true grit didn't get me that interested though. not sure why.

Didn't see There Will Be Blood, but NCfOM was very interesting. The remake of True Grit, while the acting was decent, just didn't really have much of a dramatic arc to make it linger with me.

Now I want to dig out Shane again.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who has seen Django Unchained? I thought it kept meaningless violence to a minimum considering its a Tarentino film, visually its beauty rivals Cold Mountain in some scenes, and the dialect is surprisingly accurate. My grandfather used to say "shitfire."

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who has seen Django Unchained? I thought it kept meaningless violence to a minimum considering its a Tarentino film, visually its beauty rivals Cold Mountain in some scenes, and the dialect is surprisingly accurate. My grandfather used to say "shitfire."
I have. Django got me interested in watching some other, older westerns, as a matter of fact.

That's good to hear about the dialogue.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a great one for sure. It's possible that it's only the name that creates this presence of Texas, because I don't really know much about the accents and that sort of things. However it settles firmly in the hixploitation tradition which deals with inbred rednecks, maybe a sort of extremely and even self-consciously one-sided view of Texas that's in culture, and this addition to the name creates maybe some feel of southwest.

Paris, Texas is the absolute best drama film I've seen. It's got a genius structure and heaps of Texas photographically. Harry Dean Stanton is a hyperb actor and he's got a great face.

Those are my faves.

I believe you since I have always thought that the original Chainsaw seemed like the real South, it reminds me if Eastern NC out in the country, which is why in part I love it so much. It's because Tobe Hooper filmed on location in the Texas heat of the summer with no air conditioning and practically tormented the cast.

I have never seen it referred to as a Western though.

By that estimation movies like Hick and Wonderland would also be "Western."