User Tag List

Thread: Most intriguing/mind-expanding nonfiction

Diving into Ni-space Array Crescent Fresh's Avatar

Default Most intriguing/mind-expanding nonfiction

Sometimes you wanna read and get effortlessly carried away. Othertimes you might want to get your mind blown by an incredible work of non-fiction.

At least I do, and judging by the success of recent books by Malcolm Gladwell.

Reading non-fiction can sometimes be laborious, I’ll admit. But it’s worth it if you get taken on an intense intellectual journey of amazing surprises. And what is more mentally stimulating than seeing the world in a brand-new light?

The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers, three of his books, explore psychology, sociology, and culture to answer intriguing questions. Outliers, my favorite of his books, seeks to examine why some individuals, such as Steve Jobs or Oprah Winfrey, are able to achieve such monumental success.

In exploring answers to this question, you learn some pretty unbelievable information about the birthdays of hockey players, behaviors in the cockpit of Korean airliners, and why rice farming creates brilliant mathematical cultures. Definitely a book that has brought me endless "Wow" enlightement.

What's yours?

Senior Member Array

I have a few favorites. The Art of Strategy by Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff is a practical guide to game theory that I very much enjoyed reading. I find myself basing a lot of my thinking on its backward reasoning strategy. Another that I enjoy is Impro by Keith Johnstone. It was intended as a guild for improvisation in the theatre, but I have found that much of the information in the first few chapters is relevant in making the best of everyday life.