User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default Why do people like Romeo and Juliet?

    I just don't get it. it is absolutely the most stupid and pathetic storyline and characters I've ever come across in my entire life
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #2
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    I'm actually somewhat inclined to agree (though not quite so vehemently).

    I also don't like Wuthering Heights, and people think that's terribly romantic. I'd say, if passion is about being emotionally and physically abusive, you can keep it... For some reason a lot of people think it's wonderful that sexual passion can drive you to do stupid things. Don't get me wrong, I think passion can be great, but not when it drives people to be destructive.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  3. #3
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm actually somewhat inclined to agree (though not quite so vehemently).

    I also don't like Wuthering Heights, and people think that's terribly romantic. I'd say, if passion is about being emotionally and physically abusive, you can keep it... For some reason a lot of people think it's wonderful that sexual passion can drive you to do stupid things. Don't get me wrong, I think passion can be great, but not when it drives people to be destructive.
    is it an Sx/So or So/Sx thing? I think we Sp doms just don't get it. we're much more able to be like "um....violence? self sacrifice? abuse? I'm outta here"
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  4. #4
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    is it an Sx/So or So/Sx thing? I think we Sp doms just don't get it. we're much more able to be like "um....violence? self sacrifice? abuse? I'm outta here"
    Could be. I would be inclined to think Sx-first, but that might be a stereotype...

    I think self-sacrifice is good, actually...I think it's a myth that Sp-firsts are totally not into that. But not self-sacrifice to an insane degree (though I do believe that in some cases at least self-sacrifice for the greater good is the right thing to do.)

    However, equating abuse and manipulation and general psycho-ness with "passion" kind of sucks, IMHO. I'm probably talking more about Wuthering Heights than Romeo and Juliet, though. I think R and J were mainly a pair of dumb hormonal kids who would eventually have discovered they had little in common and didn't like each other that much!

    I do like romance, but backed up with a good basis of realism.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  5. #5
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Could be. I would be inclined to think Sx-first, but that might be a stereotype...
    I think self-sacrifice is good, actually...I think it's a myth that Sp-firsts are totally not into that. But not self-sacrifice to an insane degree (though I do believe that in some cases at least self-sacrifice for the greater good is the right thing to do.)
    However, equating abuse and manipulation and general psycho-ness with "passion" kind of sucks, IMHO. I'm probably talking more about Wuthering Heights than Romeo and Juliet, though. I think R and J were mainly a pair of dumb hormonal kids who would eventually have discovered they had little in common and didn't like each other that much!
    I do like romance, but backed up with a good basis of realism.
    well, Sp doms who are into it are certainly into it within limits.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  6. #6
    Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm probably talking more about Wuthering Heights than Romeo and Juliet, though. I think R and J were mainly a pair of dumb hormonal kids who would eventually have discovered they had little in common and didn't like each other that much!
    This has a degree of truth. It all depends on your interpretation of the play. Many think it was Shakespeare's intention to highlight what can happen to young lovers who run away with passion, and the irresponsibility of a number of characters who should have acted as mentors and given more guidance. After all, R+J is a Tragedy, not Romance. The result of the young passionate love is disastrous.

    As for Wuthering Heights, to me that appeals much more as a Romance. Whenever I think of WH I think of this line: "He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." The two lovers share a bond that is extraordinary... obsessive and almost violent... Aspects of their love is disturbing, but to me it stands out as the example of love at its absolute extreme in literature. The love between them both almost literally has the power to kill them both.. they can't bare to be together in life, and yet they can't bare to be apart. It's like their love reaches beyond life and the grave.

    i think one way in which people can't relate to Catherine and Heathcliff as lovers is because their relationship is strangely asexual. It exceeds conventional romantic love and even sexual expression. While it's all violent and difficult, it's still intensely enduring. Very much extreme, true and yet totally intoxicating and debilitating love.

    Of course these are all my opinions on the play and book...

  7. #7
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    This has a degree of truth. It all depends on your interpretation of the play. Many think it was Shakespeare's intention to highlight what can happen to young lovers who run away with passion, and the irresponsibility of a number of characters who should have acted as mentors and given more guidance. After all, R+J is a Tragedy, not Romance. The result of the young passionate love is disastrous.

    As for Wuthering Heights, to me that appeals much more as a Romance. Whenever I think of WH I think of this line: "He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." The two lovers share a bond that is extraordinary... obsessive and almost violent... Aspects of their love is disturbing, but to me it stands out as the example of love at its absolute extreme in literature. The love between them both almost literally has the power to kill them both.. they can't bare to be together in life, and yet they can't bare to be apart. It's like their love reaches beyond life and the grave.

    i think one way in which people can't relate to Catherine and Heathcliff as lovers is because their relationship is strangely asexual. It exceeds conventional romantic love and even sexual expression. While it's all violent and difficult, it's still intensely enduring. Very much extreme, true and yet totally intoxicating and debilitating love.

    Of course these are all my opinions on the play and book...
    Yeah, I also like your interpretation of R&J, in terms of the role the other characters play, too.

    It's been a long time since I read/saw either of these works. I'd like to read Wuthering Heights again, for sure. I consider myself...enough of a romantic, even quite a lot of romantic in some ways, but I basically remember thinking the Catherine/Heathcliff thing was annoying and nasty. I'm sure it's a lot more nuanced than that. But taken to an extreme, for sure.

    I just think true love is enduring - and hard work - and loyal, and kind...also fun and passionate, but let's face it, passion in real life will probably burn out to a certain degree at least. You want someone who you can still be best friends and partners with after years and years, even if you're not into each other sexually to the extent that you were when younger.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  8. #8
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    I do actually wonder if Cathy/Heathcliff's love is supposed to be more metaphoric or symbolic. As Maddy mentioned, it sort of goes beyond the usual tropes of romance, whichever way you come at it. I really should read that again.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #9
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    You simply don't like what is emo. And i don't like too. i tried to read Romeo & Juliette for the pas and I gave up at the balcony scene.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  10. #10
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    i haven't read it since high school, i thought it was a good story though. but i'm a 4, i think dying together is romantic

    i remember i had the sparknotes version with the modern day translation next to the original. my teacher thought i was so smart.

Similar Threads

  1. Why do people romanticize death and suicide?
    By Trash Panda in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  2. Why do people like rock music?
    By Elfboy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 02:58 AM
  3. Why do people like the Pope so much?
    By /DG/ in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
  4. Why do people get shy and stressed?
    By Synapse in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO