• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like Romeo and Juliet?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I like it because it does feel a bit real... Teenagers make really dumb, stupid decisions all the time, in the thought that they are in love. Whether they truly are or not, no one will ever know, but the way they act you can't help but think they are at least in that moment. Of course, as an adult you have to be rational and logical. "Maybe they were crazy in love, but..." It's sort of indulging--you're not really allowed to be tragically stupidly in love in real life because--duh--it leads to stupid, awful scenarios that retard the love itself. But you can sort of indulge in these two teenagers and their stupidity.. at least, that's how I took the play. The death is dramatic, and to me, it symbolizes that there is no way a love like that can last--either death or life itself will erode it away, because it's too extreme and there's no balance.

I suppose, to me, the messages are clear, and that's what makes it such a great play:
1. Adults put their thoughts and beliefs over their teenagers, and it can lead to destructive behavior.
2. The mentors throughout the play were complacent.
3. There was a raw, passionate romance indulged in the most extreme way.

All of that being said, I enjoyed watching the movies more than reading it. It's made to be seen in action, so it sort of sucked just reading it. You didn't get the passion.

This sums up my thoughts. I especially agree with the point about watching it being better than reading it. It's true of most plays, for obvious reasons.

In addition, there are two ways the word "romantic" is often used nowadays. One is to indicate that something is an ideal form of love; so no, this is certainly not a romantic story in that sense. Destructive, all-consuming passion is not really ideal in life. The other way of using "romantic" is closer to the original sense, part of which is to celebrate unbridled, raw human emotion & to accept the dark side of man's nature instead of stuffing it down inside so it comes out worse later. In this sense, Romeo & Juliet is extremely romantic.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People like Romeo and Juliet because everyone knows Romeo and Juliet. It's the play everyone read in middle school, so if you ask someone what their favorite Shakesperean play is it's an obvious choice. Also, people love the idea of love, so they enjoy a story they've been told is a great romance. Whether the play actually merits its popularity is a different question.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
People like Romeo and Juliet because everyone knows Romeo and Juliet. It's the play everyone read in middle school, so if you ask someone what their favorite Shakesperean play is it's an obvious choice. Also, people love the idea of love, so they enjoy a story they've been told is a great romance. Whether the play actually merits its popularity is a different question.

Nailed it. :)

KDude

I'm usually one for "everyone has their opinion" and neutrality when it comes to art, but you really have to be an idiot to not like it. My stance is not even out of defense of Shakespeare entirely either. Some of his plays aren't that good..you could pick better plays to hate.. but you'd be wrong about this one.

Not that I'm calling anyone an idiot though. You can easily change this problem by changing your opinion. ;)

Odyne

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Because it's an accomplished literary pieace written by Shakespear and nears greak tragedies in its plot development.

You want a stupid romantic story? I recommend Twilight.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I agree with the OP, but to be fair, I think the unrealistic and overblown aspect of it helps it become a classic. It's like the the purest form of certain emotions made into a play.

T

ThatGirl

The best way to get through Romeo and Juliet is to laugh AT them.

On a side note, I hate most tragedies.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
its the original from which most stories are sampled and recycled. its that good, of course its old to you now, but its new to the next generation.