• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Free for all Olympics? Superhuman Olympics?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
The Olympic games was originally a competition for amateur athletes. Professional athletes were said to have an unfair advantage, since they could afford to spend most of their time training. It wasn't until the 1970s until this limitation was officially dropped.

But is the playing field necessarily level? Genes can make or break an athlete in many competitions.

In general, Olympic athletes tend to be genetic freaks who have managed to put themselves through brutal training regimes and taking anything considered to be performance-enhancing, but not explicitly banned and having the luck not to become injured.

Athletes that choose not to push the limits in these areas are not competitive.

But why not let athletes push all the limits? It would be more exciting if they were permitted to take performance enhancing drugs.

I also wonder what will happen in the future when we have more advanced medical technology that could allow us to effectively rebuild our body, perhaps on a molecular level. Or use genetic engineering to engineer athletes from the ground up. A superhuman Olympics?

Or are these sorts of ideas destined only for the circus?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
All of 10 people read this... Oh well..

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I suppose if people wanted to push the limits with drugs, they could do so in their own separate competition. The main problem is that dopers at the Olympics are passing off enhanced performances as natural skill. Also most of the drugs are illegal in most countries or are prescription drugs being taken illegally - so that's an added factor.

What do you think about the rule changes with the swimwear? The banned all those super slick, full body suits because technology was becoming too much of a factor rather than talent.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess it's whatever arbitrary rules we settle upon as a culture that determines how it plays out. I guess the problems with steroids is that they are generally harmful to health in the long run, yet to stay competitive one would feel compelled to take them.

Genetics DO play a part of the limits of what one can achieve. Even basic body shape and form determine who can compete realistically at that level, but then we have even minute differences in lung capacity, circulation efficiency, reflex, etc. playing a role. Let's face it, the playing field will never be "level."

It also caters to those who either are insanely dedicated or who have the money to pursue proper training. I am sure there are some people gifted with the necessary genetics and innate talent who will never be in the Olympics because they weren't guided and supported by parents, or who didn't have the right financial resources.

Still, there's no great way to weed out all of that variance. It just is what it is. Some of the tech limitations are an attempt to at least drive money out of the picture, since if one person acquires a tech advantage, then they ALL must acquire it to stand a chance. (I recall when wooden tennis rackets were all there was, but they're not competitive nowadays. And, even not talking Olympics right now, even McEnroe's finesse game couldn't stand up against power serves/games.) I guess we decide what rules we can live with, then implement them.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Genetics DO play a part of the limits of what one can achieve. Even basic body shape and form determine who can compete realistically at that level, but then we have even minute differences in lung capacity, circulation efficiency, reflex, etc. playing a role. Let's face it, the playing field will never be "level."

It also caters to those who either are insanely dedicated or who have the money to pursue proper training. I am sure there are some people gifted with the necessary genetics and innate talent who will never be in the Olympics because they weren't guided and supported by parents, or who didn't have the right financial resources.

Yes. There are also those with the talent who lack the interest or motivation to practice to the degree needed to become an olympic athlete. There are also the gifted athletes who don't make the olympics due to back luck. Maybe they had a poor olympic tryout that isn't reflective of their true abilities or they got injured and can no longer compete.