• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Sex Scenes in Literature

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not sure if this fits better here or in the Sexuality & Mature Topics subforum, but oh well.

What works of literature have the best sex scenes? I'm not talking about erotica, more like "mainstream" books.

The books I've heard mentioned before are Lady Chatterly's Lover, Mme Bovary, Arabian Nights, and North & South.

North & South I definitely would agree with; I haven't read the others. But for my money, I'd go with The Mists of Avalon.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I'm a Science Fiction reader primarily.. I'd have to go with Philip Jose Farmer's 'Strange Relations' short story collection (disturbing alien sex). :D I picked up Mists of Avalon a few weeks ago, may have to start it soon. :ninja:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a fondness for the lone sex scene in Atonement, but perhaps that is because of the tragedy that befalls them shortly after.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a fondness for the lone sex scene in Atonement, but perhaps that is because of the tragedy that befalls them shortly after.

A professor once mentioned in class that this is one of the greatest love scenes ever written. She was one hard-ass bitch of an ISTJ, not exactly prone to hyperbole, so I took her word for it. Still haven't gotten around to reading it though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A professor once mentioned in class that this is one of the greatest love scenes ever written. She was one hard-ass bitch of an ISTJ, not exactly prone to hyperbole, so I took her word for it. Still haven't gotten around to reading it though.

STJ Stamp of Approval!

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm, I'm a Science Fiction reader primarily.. I'd have to go with Philip Jose Farmer's 'Strange Relations' short story collection (disturbing alien sex). :D I picked up Mists of Avalon a few weeks ago, may have to start it soon. :ninja:

Actually when I think about it, a lot of the sex scenes in Mists are pretty controversial.... one is a threesome with two men, one is a case of unintentional incest (they don't know they are related)... but if you can get past those things, they are quite, um, well-written.... ;)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
STJ Stamp of Approval!

Lol. Made me think that somewhere, out there, a person who has just had a one-night stand with an STJ will awaken to an empty bed, a pounding headache, and the words "APPROVED!" in bright red perfectly in the center of their forehead. Then again, STJs probably have another stamp for these kinds of occasions. Will make inquiries and get back to you.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol. Made me think that somewhere, out there, a person who has just had a one-night stand with an STJ will awaken to an empty bed, a pounding headache, and the words "APPROVED!" in bright red perfectly in the center of their forehead. Then again, STJs probably have another stamp for these kinds of occasions. Will make inquiries and get back to you.

No, they record it in their private database. "Would try again."

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually when I think about it, a lot of the sex scenes in Mists are pretty controversial.... one is a threesome with two men, one is a case of unintentional incest (they don't know they are related)... but if you can get past those things, they are quite, um, well-written.... ;)

I actually read it when I was around 15, I remember some pretty squirmy stuff, but it was a long time ago. I vaguely remember some very pagan themes and Greek/Roman mystery religion ceremonies. My religious parents wouldn't let me watch anything over PG, but didn't ever think to look through the book on my nightstand.
:devil:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a steamy exerpt from a classic that you probably have heard of:

"And Adam knew Eve his wife.. " - Genesis 4:1.

This is about your Great to the Nth grandparents. Shame on you!

don't be pedantic, it's a joke

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I agree with Atonement.

Also, I enjoy a lot of Henry Miller's and Anais Nin's erotic work, collectively.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I wish Tamora Pierce would make a more adult-oriented version of her collections. :c There are so many awesome bouts of love and relationships, and she really can't put emphasis on any of them because it's made for teens.

(Continues to watch thread for future perv-reading indulging.)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read theses books:

p0001498.jpg

Robert+Silverberg+-+To+Live+Again+(Jim+Burns).jpg

I think people underestimate Science-fiction.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i love james joyce letters to miss nora:

My sweet little whorish Nora I did as you told me, you dirty little girl, and pulled myself off twice when I read your letter. I am delighted to see that you do like being fucked arseways. Yes, now I can remember that night when I fucked you for so long backwards. It was the dirtiest fucking I ever gave you, darling. My prick was stuck in you for hours, fucking in and out under your upturned rump. I felt your fat sweaty buttocks under my belly and saw your flushed face and mad eyes. At every fuck I gave you your shameless tongue came bursting out through your lips and if a gave you a bigger stronger fuck than usual, fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora's fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

You say when I go back you will suck me off and you want me to lick your cunt, you little depraved blackguard. I hope you will surprise me some time when I am asleep dressed, steal over to me with a whore's glow in your slumberous eyes, gently undo button after button in the fly of my trousers and gently take out your lover's fat mickey, lap it up in your moist mouth and suck away at it till it gets fatter and stiffer and comes off in your mouth. Sometimes too I shall surprise you asleep, lift up your skirts and open your drawers gently, then lie down gently by you and begin to lick lazily round your bush. You will begin to stir uneasily then I will lick the lips of my darling's cunt. You will begin to groan and grunt and sigh and fart with lust in your sleep. Then I will lick up faster and faster like a ravenous dog until your cunt is a mass of slime and your body wriggling wildly.

Goodnight, my little farting Nora, my dirty little fuckbird! There is one lovely word, darling, you have underlined to make me pull myself off better. Write me more about that and yourself, sweetly, dirtier, dirtier. .

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't recall any sex scenes in North and South . (Unless we're not talking of the one by Elizabeth Gaskell; I don't *think* I've gone senile.)

Mists has some 'controversial' sex scenes, but the sex itself devolves to the arty general sort of "stars" and "passion" sort of writing and not particularly sexy.

Actually I can't remember any really hot sex scenes in literature at all. Clearly I've been reading the wrong sorts of books.