• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Holiday Reading, is it different from your regular reading?

Lark

I remember an episode of the Simpsons when an airport shop only stocks King and Crichton, Homer or Bart asks for something else and they are told to get out, its a satirisation on airport bookshops, so does anyone read differently on hols? Anyone a fan of "beach books" even when they arent on hols?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to read the same variety of books on hols as I do at home. I have been on the beach reading The Complete Shakespeare. I have also been on the beach reading The Da Vinci Code (which I hated). Realistically, I'd be most likely to pick something in between, but it wouldn't be significantly different from the usual.

Hmm... What do you like? Do you like thrillers? I'm not a big fan generally of thrillers but I love John Le Carre. You have to concentrate pretty hard though, so it might not be typical "beach reading". I read Absolute Friends a few years ago on the beach in Mallorca, thoroughly enjoyed that! Among others I've also really enjoyed The Spy Who Came IN from the Cold, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Constant Gardener and The Russia House.

I love travel writing - Colin Thubron is my favourite travel writer. Fantastic.

If you tell me what genres you like I might be able to suggest more, unless it's a genre I really don't care for. ;)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Actually, holiday time is currently the only time I read for pleasure, though I don't like to read books "just to pass the time", so to speak.

How about A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett? It's kinda long, but I really enjoyed it. :)

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
The only difference between my regular reading and my holiday and "beach reading" is that in the case of holday reading I normally have a nice selection of books to choose from (books being probably my favorite gifts) and on vacation I have more time to read (I don't take leave around Christmass).

In all cases its my usual round of travel, food writing, history, politics spiced with the occasional book on cosmology (why I do that I'll never know - they always give me a headache).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read the same kinds of books, I just simply have more time to read, so I finish them faster (if it's a relaxing sort of vacation which has a lot of downtime). Of the books I like to read, I am more likely to go with fiction than, say, a psychology book.

S

Sniffles

Pretty much the same thing I usually read. I might choose books that are lighter in style so as not to overload the brain. I often have to do this when I read on my breaks at work.